New here

Hello all,

I am a former player who recently opened up a baseball academy in my home town. I am here to here provide feedback to young ball players when they ask for it and also discuss various debatable pitching topics with some of you.

I am familiar with the various “Guru’s” that post here and that are discussed here (ex. Nyman/Wolforth vs. Mills, O’leary vs. the mob, Marshall vs. conventional wisdom, etc…). I would like to say that I respect all of you a great deal and would gladly let any one of you teach my son to throw. There are parts of everyone’s philosophy that I like and there are parts that I don’t like, or don’t yet understand. At any rate, I will make every effort to avoid offending anyone and attempt to consider your arguments with an open mind.

That said, I do tend to lean towards the Wolforth side of most arguments. I just can’t get behind an argument that undervalues athleticism as it relates to pitching. Part of this is probably due to the fact that I was a pitcher/DH in college and was highly offended by the “non-athlete” label placed on all pitchers :smiley:

I look forward to blogging with you

Glad to have you and welcome, Wolforth representation is lacking so you’ll be a great addition.

Welcome, Hasbeen!

I share your appreciation for the strength and conditioning part of the pitching equation. That’s why I only give 1-hour lessons and nothing less - I inject in some strength and conditioning work to support the mechanics I teach (although not to the extent that Wolforth does from what little I know of he teachings).

Look forward to chatting with you.

Thanks for the welcome,

I really like Wolforth’s “Athletic Pitcher” program. The trouble I have incorporating it into lessons is not the length of the lesson, it’s the frequency of the lessons. As we all know, strength and conditioning is only as good as the commitment of the athlete and I feel like I need to see them 3 times a week to be productive. Because of this fact I have been separating lessons from conditioning and offering the conditioning program seperately. What do you think of this approach? How do you implement strength and conditioning into your lessons?

Hello there, and welcome aboard.
This old snake-jazzer agrees with you 100% regarding athleticism as a part of pitching. How many times have I seen on these boards complaints from young pitchers who get thrown into games just because their school coaches tell them, “Okay, you’re pitching next inning,” with no attempt to make sure that these kids have the proper instruction as to mechanics and what-not. Or the coach who I have described time and again as “a child’s garden of misinformation” who feeds the kid all the wrong stuff. Or the martinet whose philosophy is “my way or the highway”—or should I call it not so much as philosophy as an ironclad rule? Throw “over the top” or else, even if the kid is not comfortable with that kind of delivery? Sheeeesh!
When I played, many moons ago, I was fortunate to have as a pitching coach an active member of the Yankees’ Big Three rotation whose basic premise was that each pitcher has a natural motion and that the thing to do was show that pitcher how to make the most of it. I was a natural sidearmer, having discovered this at the age of eleven, and not having the requisite speed I had to go to the breaking stuff right away. This guy who was my pitching coach for almost four years was absolutely incredible, and he would work with me extensively on such things as fielding my position, holding runners on and pickoff moves, what to do when I had to come into a game in relief and was faced immediately with a 3-0 count—strategic pitching at its best and most effective—and having discovered these boards not too long ago I’m in a position to offer advice and assistance whenever I can.
And so, here’s to intelligent discussion. Again, welcome aboard. :slight_smile: 8)

That sounds like it would produce results. But I’d tend to think it woud be more appropriate for older kids. We have to be careful not to turn baseball into a chore for the younger kids.

I do it as part of our warm-ups. I teach a dynamic warm-up that utilizes motion to truly get the body warmed up. Included in the warm-up activities are things like lunges, side lunges, arm circles, etc. and these activities involve strength and/or flexibility work. For example, lunges address quad strength for the front leg and hip flexor flexibilitiy for the rear leg. Plus we incorporate a shoulder twist in the lunge to work on flexibility in the torso.

The travel team I coach does this routine before every practice and game. My private lesson pitchers do this routine at the start of every lesson. The routine, if done properly, takes about 20 minutes.

[quote=“HasBeen08”]Hello all,

O’leary vs. the mob,
[/quote]

O’leary vs. The Admins of this forum