New Game Film!

Hey Guys,

New video of me pitching in yesterday’s game.
Its only a minute long, and the camera is kind of shaky at some points, but any help would be appreciated! I have been working really hard…

Link
http://www.berecruited.com/cgi-bin/upload.pl?action=DisplayMovies&movie=95384641&orderby=title

L 2-0, Complete Game, 1 ER (gave up a solo homer on a 3-2 count…:oops:), 7 K’s

I’ll take any help you can give me, even if it is harsh :slight_smile:

oh haha sorry :stuck_out_tongue: here you go:

Id appreciate any help :slight_smile:

what level do you play at? (HS etc…)

High School. I’m a sophomore playing JV.
Why, do they look like little league mechanics? :wink:

Can’t tell for sure but it looks like you might stride to the throwing arm side. If so, I’d move you to the glove side to reduce postural isues at release. On a couple pitches in that video, you fall off to the side a bit.

Also, I think you can squeeze out a little bit more velocity and take some stress off the arm by using your lower half better. Get your hips started forward a bit sooner and build more momentum. This will also lengthen your stride and move your release point closer to home plate.

[quote=“Roger”]Can’t tell for sure but it looks like you might stride to the throwing arm side. If so, I’d move you to the glove side to reduce postural isues at release. On a couple pitches in that video, you fall off to the side a bit.

Also, I think you can squeeze out a little bit more velocity and take some stress off the arm by using your lower half better. Get your hips started forward a bit sooner and build more momentum. This will also lengthen your stride and move your release point closer to home plate.[/quote]

Yeah, my coach has told me a couple times to watch my stride because I land closed sometimes.
And, trying to get my hips going earlier and REALLY using my lower body to drive to home plate have been the hardest things for me to do in trying to better my mechanics. Could a weak lower body be the cause for this?
I’m very upper body heavy. I used to be very overweight as a middle schooler, so my parents got me a bench to help me lose some weight along with running a lot. It worked, but all i really did was bench (at that time). Over the years ive incorporated every other muscle group into my workouts, but my lower body is still slow in catching up…

Thanks for the help! :slight_smile:

looks like you put your stride foot down much earlier than you could. i really think you could lengthen your stride by 2 feet if you want to. if you do that and release the ball as far out in front of you as possible, you could possibly release the ball 3 to 4 feet closer to the plate.

if you release the ball 4 feet closer to the plate, it will look 8 mph faster at the same velocity. if you throw 75, it would look like 81 which is a big difference.

It’s only an issue if it’s causing some other problem. Sometimes pitchers who stride to the throwing arm side end up with an inappropriate late posture change as they try to get back inline with or square up to the target at release. Moving to the glove side of the rubber can help minimize or avoid this type of posture issue.

It takes lots of reps to get comfortable with this. It also takes more strength. The front leg needs to be stronger to be able to firm up and brace after front foot plant when the body is moving faster. Also, more core strength is required to maintain posture while moving faster and coming to a more abrubt stop at foot plant.