New father, baseball lover

Okay so my wife and I are trying to have kids. My first love was baseball. I was pretty good in high school. I could have been a lot better but I lacked support from my parents. All my early childhood everything (academics, athletics, size) all just came to me. But when everyone caught up from working hard, I did not know what to do. My parents would not take me to camps or to get 1 on 1 work with anyone. Then while in high school I went through some rather dramatic events that broke me down to where I lost interest in working out. I’m not going to let that happen to my kids. Considering my (hopefully) son takes after my size (my dad was tall and broadly built, mom was short, same situation for me and my wife) they will have good size. However, I’m curious to know when is the earliest I can start working with them. I know about developing motor skills and all that when you have a child. But when can you start to really work with them. 10, 11 maybe? Get them familiar with strength and agility training (not actually lifting weights until capable). Also, is it bad to teach them to bat or throw a certain hand? My father and grandfather were left handed, and I was left handed until around kindergarten and I became ambidextrous, and eventually dominately right (I’m still rather ambidextrous). I played baseball left handed until about first or second grade when a coach forced me to do everything right handed (because that’s how he knew it). So is it bad to force them to play a certain side? Sorry for the lengthy post. Just want whats best!!

I don’t mean this to be harsh but the first thing you need to do is make sure that your motives are pure. Trying to redeam your childhood through your kids has been the basis of many strained and regret filled father/child relationships. The second thing to consider is that your kid will likely never play a sport beyond high school. Youth sports is to prepare your child for adulthood, not professional sports. Baseball, and all sports, have an expiration date for everyone and for most that comes when they are still kids. As a father of 12 and 15 year old boys, my recomendation is this:

Age 0 to 5 - Read to your kid every day. Spend as much time as you can with them playing, teaching and loving them.

Age 5 to 14 - Expose them to as many sports and activities as possible and their passion and talent will reveal itself and guide them (and you).

Age 14 to 18 - Support them in acheving their full potential in whatever they choose to pursue.

Your job is to prepare the child for the path, not the path for the child.

3 Likes

Oh no I totally understand and respect that completely. I guess I forgot that I would only do this if my child has interest in it. One of those things that if they want it I’ll be all in, but wondering when the best time for that is. I honestly just assumed that with this being a baseball page it would be best to put it in baseball terms. Anything they want to do I will fully support and tell them everything I know. Baseball just happens to be my thing. If they don’t even want to play baseball, I’m completely fine with that. I totally understand what you are saying. And I appreciate your input.