New Coach Won't Start Me

Since our old coach passed away it’s been tough. Haven’t played as many games, practice has been different and the whole team aura sort of changed.

The new coach who used to play for the old one about 20 years ago, will not start me on the mound. Our first game under him I came in relief in the 3rd inning when we were down 7-0, I pitched 4 scoreless innings and we came back to take it extra innings, he pulled me before the 8th and didn’t even let me stay in to play 1st and hit which is odd considering i’m hitting over .400 and he had a stat sheet.

We lost in extras 14-11, a lot of scoring went on after I left. Next day we played and I relieved again this time we were already down a lot because of a sloppy inning by our infield, I pitched 2 innings no earned runs and 2 unearned because of an outfield error with 2 outs and a throwing error by our 3rd baseman to follow it up.

On the 5th we play and he said he wants me relieving again when I’ve been the best pitcher thus far and he told me he’ll probably only start me on the bump once the rest of the year at the most. One of our guys who’s always gotten hit hard because even though he throws hard he has flat pitches is constantly given the chance to start, it’s like velocity is his only way to judge people, in fact the guy starting the first game tomorrow is the one that got lit up for 7 in 2 innings in the first game I relieved for the new coach.

I’m not trying to be a whiner just needed to blow off some steam to some fellow pitchers.

P.S. It’s not like he wants me for a closer either he just puts me in for long or middle relief.

Yo, buddy. Sorry to hear that. Keep your head up. Make it impossible NOT to pitch you be outworking everyone else and pitching your best when you get the opportunity to pitch. Think of each practice and outing as your tryout. And go out there and shine!

ive seen new coaches get into a pattern of pitchers early regardlesss of how effective they are, waiting for them to prove themselves for whatever reason (be it a flame thrower with lack of control or a guy with a great curveball but cant get it in the zone something like that). eventually when u keep pitching very effectively and everyone else is consistantly inconsistant u will get the important situations. all u can do is pitch as well as u can in what mound time u get, keep it up! when it comes down to it. all coaches realize they need to throw the guy that gets hitters out, the way u do it doesnt matter.

A coach is not different then you, he/she is a person of habits and traits. Habits that follow a pattern over and over, from start to finish.

People have a tendency sometimes to repeat what they feel comfortable with. And regardless how the out come, old habits are hard to break.

I was like this coach that you described here. When I got my first taste of actually being responsible (to a degree) of a rotation, I gravitated to people that I THOUGHT were better suited then others. I remember leaning towards pitchers that were similar in looks and styles of past performers with other clubs. Naturally, I felt very secure in my decisions to “suggest” to our skipper what-was-what. As time went on I learned to rely on more than historical “look-a-likes”, and go deeper into the profession (my profession). For some who depended on my craftsmanship, it was timely, or others it was not. Those that I passed over repeatedly, left and either went elsewhere or sought other avenues in life. I’m not proud of that time in my coaching career, but nevertheless it happend.

Perhaps this coach is experiencing the same fragile experience curve. Perhaps he could use a bit of fine tuning in his skills, but, these are things that you have no control over directly. He will have to come around to using the best resources at his disposal - if that includes you, and you have the time to spend there, things will come around. They always do.

Here is what I suggest – give this coach what he’s not expecting. The next time that you’re called in as a releiver, look him straight in the eye and say… " I got the ball now skipper, and I’m ready to do the job you want me to … I got it from here." Then turn around and DO NOT look him in the eye, just focus your eyes on the ground, rub the ball, and shake your head gently … like saying YES, YES, YES.

You will leave an impression with that coach that will not go away. Trust me on this one.

Coach B.

My thoughts were along the lines of Coach B. when I read your post. The way I was going to say it is this…

Teams, probably even more so professional teams, are full of guys who accept roles meaning, it’s not what they envisioned at the outset but it’s kind of where they find themselves through no ones fault at all. It takes a mature person to accept their role on a team because that person has to put others first and let their own ego take a back seat. It’s what is best for the team. It is usually not what that person thinks is best for him. But like alot of things in life, your perspective is often set in stone. You can’t change the view from where you are seated and for all the world it looks like you are headed in the wrong direction but you aren’t in control of where you are going. When you finally arrive, often times you look back at the trip and say, wow was I wrong about that. Be mature…accept your role…if it changes to your liking then pour it on with new inspiration…if not remember that everything that happens in this world doesn’t have to be someones fault. It’s just the way it is.

Thanks for your comments guys.

I think he just has a different philosophy than our late coach and I guess I’m just not used to it yet. He’s doing something else that maybe makes me not want to start on the mound, he likes to always bat the pitcher 9 even though a lot of our pitchers are also our best hitters. Today he had a lineup setup where our guy who normally bats 3 was pitching so he was batting 9 (didn’t matter, other team didn’t show). I don’t know if he’s just not aware of the fact that he doesn’t have to do that or if he has reason to it. I think I might rather stay in the cleanup spot and just relieve our starters than have to limit myself to less plate appearances per game. Sounds like I may get moved down in the order too in spite of me having the best hitting stats of everyone on the team, he said something about more clutch spots come to the 6 hitter than the 4 hitter or something like that.

I’m still going with his decisions without questions, I just have to let off steam somewhere, I’m sure with time I’ll see the method to all of this I’m just still caught up in the frustration that comes along with change. I think I’ll get over this frustration just gotta vent in the proccess to keep me sane.

ahhh i have the same problem my coach only puts me in to relive even though in my only start I had a compleate game letting in only 2 runs… keep up the good pitching and remember your not alone and you will get your time to shine :slight_smile:

He finally started me and I pitched a complete game but once again my defense completely let me down and our bats couldn’t even scratch across a run for me.

Gave up 2 earned runs and 8 unearned. (I am getting so sick of unearned runs).

The outfield dropped the simplest of popups and then made bad throws turning a shallow fly out into 3 bases, we had 2 guys thrown out trying to steal third and the umpire missed both blatantly obvious calls. Infield made terrible throws to our secondary first baseman (I usually play there) and he isn’t experienced enough to dig them out, or stretch. It was just terrible defense, something that has gotten on my nerves a lot lately.

[quote=“Pustulio”]He finally started me and I pitched a complete game but once again my defense completely let me down and our bats couldn’t even scratch across a run for me.

Gave up 2 earned runs and 8 unearned. (I am getting so sick of unearned runs).

The outfield dropped the simplest of popups and then made bad throws turning a shallow fly out into 3 bases, we had 2 guys thrown out trying to steal third and the umpire missed both blatantly obvious calls. Infield made terrible throws to our secondary first baseman (I usually play there) and he isn’t experienced enough to dig them out, or stretch. It was just terrible defense, something that has gotten on my nerves a lot lately.[/quote]

If you don’t like it then do something about it. Work with them on their positions see if your coach will let you guys practice more. Pitch better. Its easy to love the game when you’re winning but true winners love it no matter what.

Keep at it kid. try to help out your team as much as you can and in everyway that you can. Baseball is a team sport as you’re now learning so no matter how good YOUR stats are, it doesn’t gaurantee a win.

Well the thing about practice is we do everything right in practice and we practice twice a day usually. It’s not that they can’t do it right it’s that we get in a game and I don’t know if they just get tense and clam up or what.

I keep my emotions to myself when I’m pitching, because I know if I get mad at them it will just make them tense up more, there are times during games that I just feel like kicking someone in the head. Most of these errors come with two outs too, like they’ll get the 1st two outs and then all the sudden just can’t make that 3rd out.

I still love pitching, I’m just getting so frustrated with my teammates, I still love seing someone whiff on my knuckler, I still love the feeling of K’ing someone on three straight fastballs because they don’t think there’s any way in hell I would go a full at bat without throwing a knuckleball, and I love the feeling of getting a ground ball and seeing that double play being turned behind me. Just get sick of seeing so many unearned runs per game, the hitting was partially my fault too though, I went 0 for 4 which ends my hitting streak and drops my batting avg to .404

sorry to hear bout your coach. like steven said when you get a chance. give it everything you got and get noticed

There’s a delightful little book called “Shakespeare on Baseball,” a collection of quotes from the Bard which relate to incidents on the playing field. One of my favorites concerns a butterfingered fielder:
“And when he caught it, he let it go again, and after it again, and over and over he comes, and up again, caught it again, or whether his fall enraged him, or how 'twas, he did so set his teeth, and tear it.” (Coriolanus, Act 1, scene 3)
We’ve all seen plenty of that. This is one of a pitcher’s most pet peeves, believe me. :roll:

make sure totry ur best and give t every single thing you got.