New Age Pitching,Mental not Physical

Baseball in all degrees has been mental just as much as physical for a long time however as we move forward in the understanding of our link between mind and vehicle, and we are concious of that link we start to move in to an area that is relatively new. Our mind produces chemicals to make us feel sad, happy ,hot, cold , in fact every thing we feel is produced through a chemical release.As we understand more about this we relise we can train our minds through certain modern age methods to be able to release these chemicals more on command.Through yoga and meditaton we can train our minds to do anything from telepathy to astral travel or even moving solid objects and all theories have already been proven.Taking this into account it dosn’t seem unreasonable to realise that through these methods we can obtain everything from quick recovery to controling pitches all the way into the glove or off the bat and over the fence. Diet has been a big part of all sports for years now but we have tended to feed our muscles period,if we can start to realise that the main organ in our body (our brain) controls all of our vehicle than if we fuel it first everything else is sequential we will do what it takes to follow our subconcious programming or in other words our dreams. Good diet and understanding of our mind will take pitchers and players to the next level so therefore i think meditation yoga and diet monitoring combined with already existing baseball methods are the key to modern age baseball success[/quote][/u][/b]

yeah, sounds good… I’ve undertaken some yoga and meditation, and have incorportated it into my workout routine. It works really well; I ran into a problem with my workout about a month ago… it was going ok, but I knew I could take it to another level, so I experimented a bit with meditation and yoga-I’ve done it before, during baseball season, I used to meditate the day before I pitched… And well, I think it worked well, I healed really fast, usually the day after, no more, and could probably pitch a good 5-6 innings after a day of throwing 70 pitches in a game… But, then again, I also worked out consitently through baseball season, so that, too, could have accounted for my short recovery… All in all, I think it’s a great way evolve your game, it gets you focused, and if you can channel that energy, then, wow… that’s awesome…

I would change your heading though; your physical state is very important… If you’re in good shape, eat right, workout on a consistent basis in conjuction with understanding the mental aspect of the game. Your game will evolve to the next level, but if you’re the smallest guy out there, can’t throw hard or run, well, then, sry to say, you’re just screwed.
Height plays a major factor with pitching; I’ve never seen a guy 5’7 pitching in the majors, and throwing 90 plus, or high 80’s… If there is, then wow, that’s awesome!

But Yoga shouldn’t be the only thing you do! If I do it, I’ll do it during my warm up… Yeah, Yeah, some will say warm ups should only be 10-15 minutes, and that’s great, that’s the time frame I aim for. But on the days that I do yoga, I’ll do it as a warm up to raise my energy levels, then I’ll do my workout…

Note: My warm ups do not last longer then 15 minutes, except on days that I do yoga and other meditation techniques…

Frank

I don’t think anyone would argue that pitching is a very mentally intense activity but to ignore the physical aspect is a huge mistake. Strength training does not directly make you a better pitcher. Strength training makes you a better athlete and makes you capable of more power. Then you must use the mental aspect of pitching to utilize that extra athleticism to make you a better pitcher.

I hear ya however i probably didnt clarify i just think that with already existing methods to prepare for and to improve athletasism combined with new age methods to help improve mental toughness (meditation…yoga etc)i think it may help take younger players as well as experienced to a new level…

Frank—don’t tell me you never heard of Bobby Shantz? Must have been before your time. He was 5’6’’ if he was an inch, and he pitched for a few teams including the old Philadelphia Athletics and the Yankees, and he was a very, very good pitcher indeed.