Needing some opinions on right handed pitchers

I am 20 years old and just starting my second year of college ball at a small local NAIA school. My college is very small and we never have any scouts at our games. I am a right handed pitcher that has been clocked at 91 (Consistently) at several Cincinnati Reds tryouts and college practices. I also have a good curve, slider, and change. Every time I go to a pro tryout, they seem very interested and always ask me to stay after. They always tell me that since im only 20 and have started a 4 year college, I have to be 21 before anything can happen. I am just wondering what else you guys think I need to do inorder to have a chance to get drafted when I turn 21. Is a fastball consistently at 91 enough for a right hander?

How tall are you? How much do you weigh?

It sounds like you the ability to spin a curve.

How much effort is in your delivery? How is your movement on your FB? I’d rather have someone 91 with good movement than 94 w/little movement. Are you able to locate each pitch?

You know during the year, if there’s a good chance that you’ll be drafted.

I am 6’ 1’’ and 192 pounds.
I throw a slider, a tight curve, and a slow curve.
I have always been told that my delivery looks effortless.
My four seam will tail in toward a right hander, and I can get good movement with my 2 seam. My 2 seam will stay around 88-89.
I do have good control, thats something that I have really been concentrating on during fall ball.

The last Reds tryout I went to, in July, the scouts seemed very interested and told me to just stay healthy and keep working hard and make sure i play college ball… anywhere. I told the scout what college I was at, and he said stay healthy and we will keep our eye on ya, but you have to be 21 before anything can happen.
I just think that if a scout was really that interested in someone wouldnt he try to stay in contact with that person, or at least his college?

thanks for the reply

baseball,

I can relate to you in alot of ways. I play at an NAIA school in Chicago. The fact is if you are good enough they will find you. However, I know in my case our coaches talk to lots of scouts, and there is also a scout day during fall ball. Also, for me college summer leagues is where I have seen alot of DI competition (although my school also plays and beats Illinois DI teams, as well as Xavier in Cincy). And as far as velocity goes, 91-92 is more than plenty, I wish I threw that hard on a consistent basis.

[quote=“Ryan Quigley”]baseball,

I can relate to you in alot of ways. I play at an NAIA school in Chicago. The fact is if you are good enough they will find you. However, I know in my case our coaches talk to lots of scouts, and there is also a scout day during fall ball. Also, for me college summer leagues is where I have seen alot of DI competition (although my school also plays and beats Illinois DI teams, as well as Xavier in Cincy). And as far as velocity goes, 91-92 is more than plenty, I wish I threw that hard on a consistent basis.[/quote]

If you faced Twin Cities this Summer, their coach is an associate scout for the Braves.

[quote=“Baseball3”]I am 6’ 1’’ and 192 pounds.
I throw a slider, a tight curve, and a slow curve.
I have always been told that my delivery looks effortless.
My four seam will tail in toward a right hander, and I can get good movement with my 2 seam. My 2 seam will stay around 88-89.
I do have good control, thats something that I have really been concentrating on during fall ball.

The last Reds tryout I went to, in July, the scouts seemed very interested and told me to just stay healthy and keep working hard and make sure i play college ball… anywhere. I told the scout what college I was at, and he said stay healthy and we will keep our eye on ya, but you have to be 21 before anything can happen.
I just think that if a scout was really that interested in someone wouldnt he try to stay in contact with that person, or at least his college?

thanks for the reply[/quote]

I can’t speak for every scout, but every scout is different as far as what they’re looking for. To be honest, it depends where you’re at. If you’re from the Chicagoland area, it becomes more difficult to be noticed by scouts, simply b/c they’re aren’t many that venture beyond the elite prospects in state. Typically, an area scout covers 6-7 states in the Midwest.

You’re right that they’ll do every ounce of investigating if they’re interested in you. They’ll get in contact with your coach (although, some are not the most reliable sources), keep in contact with you, mabye teammates, and of course, go to games. This Spring, you’ll know if scouts are there and if you see different scouts, it might be an associate scout mentioning to the area scout that he should come to watch you. If your parents attend games and they see what appears to be a scout, they should talk to him in a passive way.

Last year all I heard was that I needed to play D1 inorder to have a good chance. So after my 05 season, i got released from my NAIA school and was headed for The Un. of Cincinnati. Everything was working out great, it just so happend that UC’s coach seen me at the Reds tryout that I attended. He said that they should be able to offer me a pretty good sholarship, and that we would finalize everything before I signed. Well it just so happend that since I played a year at an NAIA school, it was pretty much impossible for me to be eligible at a D1. (Due to my classes) So luckily my NAIA coach allowed me to return to the team.
I dont know, should I try to go D1 again?? Or is there anything else I should be doing?? anything else to try?? Ive been going to all the Pro tryouts I can.
Thanks alot guys