Need to start with the basics

I am a complete newb as far as pitching mechanics goes…
My son is 11 and has done a little bit of pitching the last couple of years.
None of his coaches in the past or present are really teaching much in regards to mechanics.

So what are the basics. Where should I begin.

What are the first things we should try to master to get him started in the right direction??

thanks

Begin at the beginning—square one—and my advice is to find a really good pitching coach, one who is strong on the basics and with whom you can work, and preferably someone who can and will explain things in easily understandable terms. It doesn’t matter if a beginning pitcher is 8 or 38; there’s nothing more frustrating than having someone get into all sorts of abstruse technicalities. That coach, moreover, should be able to demonstrate various aspects of things like balance, glove-side control, full windup and the stretch, a good follow-through—all the basic things a pitcher needs to know. Important: find the arm slot most comfortable for you, and be sure your coach is willing to work with 8) you and help you make the most of it, not be locked into one particular way of throwing the ball—I for one have seen so much of that, it makes me sick! And don’t be afraid to ask questions—pick the coach’s brain, as it were. Good luck.

Finster,

You might want to consider the NPA’s online course. Go
http://www.nationalpitching.net/][u]here[/u
and click the “Camps” link towards the upper right part of the page. I believe this will give you a good, basic understanding to start from.

[quote=“Roger”]Finster,

You might want to consider the NPA’s online course. Go
http://www.nationalpitching.net/][u]here[/u
and click the “Camps” link towards the upper right part of the page. I believe this will give you a good, basic understanding to start from.[/quote]

The NPA’s online course is a very good place to start. Also, read through the Pitching Mechanic & Analysis comments.

Thanks for the tip on the NPA course.
I will surely check that out.

I am starting to understand a little more after reading through some of the posts on this site.