Need Some advice about cutter

Ok so i’m a lefthanded pitcher and i get arm side movement on both my four and two seam fastballs. So im trying to develop a good cutter to bust guys inside and on the hands and suprise em every now and then when they are lookin for the lefty tail. ive only tried it in the bullpen once and it was gettin good movement when i had had good grip and implemented good finger pressure. I estimate when i was throwing it (the good ones that had good cut) were probably 5 mph slower than my four seam. So my question is how much slower is your cutter than your fastball for those of you who throw a cutter?

I appreciate any comments and advice

It shouldn’t be slower, it should look and be a 2 seamer…it just moves at the plate (Which is why it’s one of the toughest pitches for a major leaguer to hit consistently).
It sounds like you are working more of a slide piece…which isn’t bad, same busting in action, just more break. What you are looking for is maybe 4 to 6" of jink, not a break. Keep working on it, feel is very important and finger location and pressure will do the trick.

well when i was focusing on throw it like a fastball it probably was about as fast as a two seam. which is only 2 or so slower than my four seam. ill just keep workin on it to get it right.

Thanks

You are making me think you are trying to cut a 4 seamer. If that is what you are doing you are throwing a slider, a cutter is a two seam that you over balance to the outside, what that does is give it a less than true spin that forces it to “cut”, push sideways when it catches wind resistance, fastball speed because it’s a 2 seam fastball, to sink the ball you over balance the other way.

A cutter is a velocity pitch. You do impart some force around the ball to make it spin (which, of course, is necessary to make it break) but you still impart force mostly through the ball. So, the cutter is slightly slower than a fastball but not by much. This makes it a velocity pitch.

You are making me think you are trying to cut a 4 seamer. If that is what you are doing you are throwing a slider, a cutter is a two seam that you over balance to the outside, what that does is give it a less than true spin that forces it to “cut”, push sideways when it catches wind resistance, fastball speed because it’s a 2 seam fastball, to sink the ball you over balance the other way.[/quote]

The cutter doesn’t necessarily have to be a two seamer. I believe Rivera actually uses a four seam cutter. Depending on how far you get on the side of the ball or behind the ball will determine whether the pitch is a cutter or a slider. Not how many seams your using.

don’t worry about what it is or isn’t, just worry about what it is doing and do you get people out. if it is 5 slower with good movement and they aren’t putting a bat on it, throw it. get one to run the other way and you’re in business. especially with a slower breaking pitch or change up.

You are making me think you are trying to cut a 4 seamer. If that is what you are doing you are throwing a slider, a cutter is a two seam that you over balance to the outside, what that does is give it a less than true spin that forces it to “cut”, push sideways when it catches wind resistance, fastball speed because it’s a 2 seam fastball, to sink the ball you over balance the other way.[/quote]

The cutter doesn’t necessarily have to be a two seamer. I believe Rivera actually uses a four seam cutter. Depending on how far you get on the side of the ball or behind the ball will determine whether the pitch is a cutter or a slider. Not how many seams your using.[/quote]

yea a cutter isnt necessarily thrown with just a two seam grip it can be thrown with a four seam grip. that’s how rivera throws his cutter