Need help with pitching mechanics

Any help would be appreciated, he knows basically what he’s doing wrong and needs help fixing it.

Let’s start with what he thinks is wrong so we can determine whether he’s picked up on the problem or just a symptom of the problem. Can you share what he thinks is wrong?

He’s not reaching his balance point, he’s not getting over his front leg on follow through, he thinks his stride may be too long, he’s not following through with is back leg. He also will open up on some pitches. He feels his timing is off, but is having a hard time fixing it. He’s lost velocity from last year.

My suggestion is to abandon the balance point idea. I know coaches still teach the balance point but fact is that many of the top pro pitchers never reach a balance point. That means they never get to a position where they could hesitate in a balanced position. They certainly have no hesitation. Take a look at the clip of Randy Johnson playing at the bottom of this page and you’ll see his hips moving forward well before the peak of his knee lift. There’s definitely no point in there where he could pause in a balanced position. And there’s definitely no pause anywhere.

I agree with this though I’d say he needs to be over the front leg sooner - at release - not later during follow through. He can make this happen by getting his front hip moving forward faster to build more momentum.

I disagree with this. I think he should be able to get himself out over the front leg and retain the stride he has. In fact, in the video he appears to spin out of his delivery and fall off to the side so I could argue that he’s not striding as far as he could/should. But I’d say work on building momentum and let the stride happen.

Getting the front hip moving faster to build more momentum will pull the back leg around.

Opening up early IS a timing problem. His spinning out of his delivery and falling off to the side is evidence of this. This will also be fixed by getting the front hip moving forward faster.

I think your son is very astute in that he has identified the symptoms of his problem. I feel the cause of these symptoms is the lack of momentum. Have him get the front hip moving toward home plate faster and possibly sooner. Make sure he leads with the front hip. The head and shoulders stay slightly behind the front hip into foot plant but should not lean back much - good posture must be maintained. Also make sure he doesn’t sacrifice his knee lift. Instead, he needs to force his leg to be quicker from knee lift to foot plant. A good checkpoint I like to use is to get the front foot, knee, and chin pretty much aligned vertically at release with the release point about 8"-12" in front of the front foot.

I had to look at the video several times as it seemed that there was a hesitation in there somewhere. I paused it at 3 seconds and it appears that he releases the ball prematurely. Staying closed longer may help him may force his release point out over his plant foot and thus, gain some velocity.

It’s hard to get the exact frame that I see as it is somewhere between 3 & 4 seconds! the more I look at it the more convinced that he needs to focus on staying closed longer. He’s landing on the outer edge of his foot

Wow…thank you very much. I will pass all of this on to my son!

As Papibon mentioned, the pitcher needs to stay closed longer. That is basically the same issue as the “opening up early” issue I mentioned previously. But Papibon’s post reminded me of something I meant to discuss but forgot about. Part of the reason he opens up early is that the glove drops too soon. In actuality, however, even that is a symptom of the lack of tempo.

I like my pitchers to have their glove out front at foot plant. But I don’t like them to have to hold it there for an artificially long amount of time. Fortunately, if you get your body moving faster toward home plate, that reduces the amount of time you would have to keep the glove out there thus making it easier to have the glove out there at foot plant.

I should also point out that the glove does not have to be held in that position out front - it might just pass through that position. A lot of pros (e.g. Clemens) sweep their glove across. What’s important is that the glove is still up and in front at foot plant. Doing so means you’ve stayed closed long enough.