Need Help with Hips

I wanted to know if anyone could show me a picture of someone that is moving their hip towards home plate while he lifts his leg, because i dont know if im doing it wrong or right.

And also of a picture of their hips rotating. I dont look up these pics because i really never got the hips rotating and moving forward stuff so help please.

just look at the video of randy johnson on the bottom as u can see he is moving forward before his right leg is all the way up. that i think is the best example. the hips rotation thing i can’t help u with sorry

i tried doing that but i feel like im going to fall and i dont balance myself right i feel that i will throw the ball away. Is there any specific drill to help you with this.

You need to create more tension in your hips using your inner thigh and groin muscles. Also try lifting your leg more towards your belly button.

You don’t need to move as much as Johnson does until peak leg lift. Notice Rivera starts moving towards home before peak leg lift, but not as much as Johnson.

you don’t want to feel balanced thats the whole point you are moving the gravity quicker towards home plate. You don’t want to be balanced just practice what johnson does.

Nolan Ryan doesn’t get it going at all till he lets his leg lift down if you look at frame by frame of him not the best person to try and look like with the hips starting soon. Try mariano rivera and randy look how they do it.

ok so i will just keep on practicing. So is better to start moving your hips when you get your leg up to your stomach and start moving your hips toward home plate???

How about rotating your hips how you do that??

Don’t worry about rotating the hips focus on moving the hips forward as soon as you pick the leg lift foot off the ground. {sometimes steping back can help go forward} instead of sideways because you lose momentum.

ok im going to make a video today, im going to throw off a flat ground and without throwing the baseball, so that you can tell me if im doing it right or wrong.

[quote=“kbm2589”]ok im going to make a video today, im going to throw off a flat ground and without throwing the baseball, so that you can tell me if im doing it right or wrong.[/quote]This will be of very limited value, IMO. Ideally, and I know it’s not always possible, you would be on a mound and throwing a ball with game intensity. This would be the best situation to maximize the potential for us to help (actually game clips would be the best). There are too many differences between flat ground “pretending” and the real deal for this to be of much practical use.

Your right DM, but i dont play until next week, and i want to start practicing this, this weekend. Hope you can tell me at least something im doing wrong even though im throwing on flat ground and your only going to watch if my hips are moving forward or not.

Here are the videos:

Ok for those who dont know i throw from 78-80 mph this summer i want to at least increase my velocity from 5-7 mph if anyone has any advice to give me just let me know. THANKS

looking better keep working on the hips moving.

What does the towel drill do for you? Do you think it helps and explain to me how you do the towel drill and what you focus on.

The towel drill for me helps me know when to whip my arm and it also helps me in where i let the ball go for control. Thats what it does for me if anybody else knows whats the towel drill for leave a comment.

But some ppl say that the towel drill is bad because you lose velocity, but i still do it.

2 things. You move very slowly at the beginning, pausing at the dreaded “balance point”. Get moving toward the plate with your front hip just as or even before your lift leg gets to the top. Get moving.

Second thing is you’re landing to the throwing arm side of your target line, or “closed”. If your mental thoughts are on driving the hip sideways at the target, longer and harder, you just might fix that problem. Right now, there’s a lack of sideways momentum directed right at the target.

Now, having said all of that, many things change when you get on a mound, in a game and throw at game intensity. So, I can’t be sure these things will still remain as problems or even if my suggested fixes will still be valid when you get in a game situation.

kbm

when ur at the top of ur leg lift u sorta STOP

this loses lots of momentum

try bringing ur leg up then sort of focus on making it as fluid as u can

this will also help u lean over ur back leg a split second longer

Dm do you recomend the towel drill?

also you do stride to the right to much and throw across the body. Try to go sideways at the target.

I don’t recommend it, nor do I condemn it. I don’t employ it because I choose to use other methods. Roger and the NPA people seem to have some success with it.

would snapping your wrist down when you throw a fastball increase velocity? I juss sort of throw the ball.

that might slow it down and make it more like a sinker ok.

I think I know what you’re trying to say but I don’t think you’ve worded it correctly. You are getting your center of gravity moving forward sooner and faster so you are commiting your weight in the direction of the target. And when you’re first trying to do this you will feel like you’re going to fall down. But with enough practice you’ll overcome that feeling.

However, you still need to be balanced. Certainly you want to be balanced side-to-side so you don’t fall off to one side or the other. And you don’t want to be leaning forward or backward (too much). Balance throughout the delivery is important!

I beg to differ. In the wind-up, Ryan steps back and as soon as he starts to step forward, his hips start forward and they never stop.

[quote=“kbm2589”]The towel drill for me helps me know when to whip my arm and it also helps me in where i let the ball go for control. Thats what it does for me if anybody else knows whats the towel drill for leave a comment.

But some ppl say that the towel drill is bad because you lose velocity, but i still do it.[/quote]

In my opinion, the towel drill has its purpose. I think it’s a good drill for working on getting the hips going because it gives you feedback that you’re lengthening your stride and getting out front with your release point. But you still need to make sure you’re getting out front using proper mechanics - not be doing things like lunging. So, having a knowledgeable instructor watch you do the drill is highly valuable.

BTW, there are many ideas about what the drill is about. Some people think it is about snapping down with the wrist. Some think it is about arm extension. The NPA disagrees with these ideas. According to the NPA, the towel drill is a total body drill. It is about putting it all together properly. Hitting the target with the towel is not the goal - the goal is having perfect mechanics (“perfect” being what’s perfect for you). Hitting the target is simply feedback.