Need help using my back leg more

I am having trouble using my back leg in my delivery. When I throw I mainly just use my upper body and do not get that explosive drive out of my legs. I feel as if I am losing velocity this way and was wondering if anyone had any advice or drills to help me get the feeling of utilizing my lower half more. Thanks

Search this site for “Hershiser drill” and “cross-over drill”. Putting some bend at the knees and waist can help you get going sooner/faster.

after your knee hits its highest point sit your butt back the same way you would to get in an athletic stance. Keeping your weight on the ball of the posting foot or even just the inside part of the foot, when you come out of your knee lift and get athletic “sitting your butt back” you will see how gravity takes over. Your main concern after that is staying balanced and keeping that load feeling on the back of the leg (riding the back leg) and staying closed.

when you land transfering the weight to the stride leg your back leg will free up enough for you to roll over your back foot (hip rotation).

not just back leg, you have to concern your front leg foot plant

you have to see how low your front leg is

let me show you some photo of few exmaples who have good stride with good front foot bend

this is Aaron Harang, who has a bad stride angle and also stride distance, which illustrate that his front foot is not lower enough with proper foot plant

this will result a bad followthrough phase ,

(you can argue that YOvani Gallardo , also front foot stand quite high but has a good followthrough phase with good downward movment, but if your front knee is low after you finish arm swing, your right hand will automatically reach the left knee level, with good followthrough phase, no need to purposely press down the body)

here are good examples of pitchers who has good front foot plant with low knee and pitch explosively that their back leg will automatically bring by the whole body, (your problem for back leg )

[img]

And Roy Oswalt!!! definitely one of my personal favourate in leg foot plant with low knee and good body balance (go to youtube and find his pitching mechanics, i remember there are 2 very slow motion for his pitching)[/img]

[quote]Aaron Harang, who has a bad stride angle and also stride distance, which illustrate that his front foot is not lower enough with proper foot plant

this will result a bad followthrough phase [/quote]

This is an absurd statement.
It just is.
I’m sorry, you’ve fallen into an O’Leary pond of baloney and gobbleygook but please, please…if you are going to come on here and spew this…stuff…Understand you are talking about an “IN DEMAND” major league ball player…who has many years PITCHING in major league baseball, just to be clear…This means that managers, coaches, GM’s all find the results of his mechanics not just satisfactory…not just “good”…but EXCLUSIVE…he is one of 300 on earth…you just ponder that bit of reality before you sit and take issue and say that a man being paid millions of dollars a year…to throw a baseball has “bad” anything. To charactorize ANY part of his mechanic as bad, is for a young man your age…the height of egotistical ignorance.

Very well-said jd…your comments are directly on-target.

This type of absurdity is part of the dark side of the internet…people with no real clue can crib photographs from Getty Images , draw colorful lines here and there on them with cheap software programs, and use this “evidence” to support any damn theory that comes to their mind.

When Coach Baker illustrates something with lines on a photograph, I pay attention. But that’s because he has a long track record in baseball and he has the intellectual respect of other experienced baseball people (for good reasons). His pictures usually have meaning…they explain reality or they at least drill down deeper into reality.

Note to hydejing: The sort of thing you seem to be doing works best when you use your pictures to “predict” an injury that has already occurred. That is 100% accurate, guaranteed.

Go jd!!! I’m with you guys, la and jd. What is shown in those photos is how THOSE particular guys do it. That’s not evidence that these are the ONLY ways to do it.

hydejing
Open up your mind to the absolute, irrefutable FACT that there are many ways to do this stuff.

My guess is that hydejing is a master at Photoshop.

no offence:

Aaron Harang (or even CY award winner Jake Peavy) pitching mechanics is not flawless

Do you think Aaron Harang / Jake Peavy has a very good pitching mechanics and worth most of youths to learn from him???

i don’t think so

[quote]Aaron Harang did receive a lot of $$ for his career but

his pitching mechanics is not flawless

by the way,

Do you think Aaron Harang has a good stride???

i don’t think so[/quote]

You are entitled to your opinion. Whether or not it’s credable is another issue all together. I think A Harang is a major league pitcher who is successful in his art. Yes his mechs are good enough. Consider just how much better his to yours must be. It is so far from reality to have someone with your skills criticize someone with his. Are his mechanics flawless? What does that mean? Is he a major leaguer? What would be a higher goal to acheive? To try to say that he is “deficient” just defies reality…it makes no sense at all. To proport yourself as expert and how his mechanics are anything but major league in quality is just the height of foolishness. This would be the opinion I’m entitled to.

hydejing,

Your insights about Adam Harang’s flaws appear to be wasted on many of the LTP folks.

Here’s Adam Harang’s mail address:

Adam Harang
c/o Cinncinnati Reds
Great America Ball Park
100 Joe Nuxhall Way
Cinncinnati, OH 45202

Maybe you should write him a letter and try to help him out with his mechanics personally…instead of tooting your horn about his flaws on an internet forum.

Thank you very much for giving me such a great information to help for his mechanics :>

[quote=“laflippin”]hydejing,

Your insights about Adam Harang’s flaws appear to be wasted on many of the LTP folks.

Here’s Adam Harang’s mail address:

Adam Harang
c/o Cinncinnati Reds
Great America Ball Park
100 Joe Nuxhall Way
Cinncinnati, OH 45202

Maybe you should write him a letter and try to help him out with his mechanics personally…instead of tooting your horn about his flaws on an internet forum.[/quote]
:lol:

i have already e-mail to reds for contact e-amil

because the words document and Gif pictures are can not put in this link.

https://secure.mlb.com/help/email.jsp?c_id=cin&primarySubject=Other&secondarySubject=Other&dest=bbowman@reds.com

does anyone knows how to attach document to the REDS?

Send them an e-mail and ask them how.
They’ll obviously want to respond quickly if you’re to save Aaron’s arm and career.

hydejing,

MLB clubs, like the Reds, won’t give you direct e-mail contact with their players. E-mail is just too easy to abuse, and there are many foolish people out there who would abuse and overwhelm the players with nonsensical advice, so because of this ‘no e-mail’ policy Aaron Harang will never get to see your analysis of his mechanics by the e-mail route.

However, all MLB clubs do forward correctly addressed regular mail to their players, then the players can do whatever they want with it…open it or throw it out. When Aaron Harang sees your insights, I am sure he will want to discuss your mechanics ideas with the Reds’ pitching coach and their trainers.

Dusty Baker is the manager of the Reds–and he wants to win and stay competitive–so if you also send him a copy of your mechanics advice, he might very well schedule a special meeting for the Reds’ entire pitching staff to discuss your ideas with them. This goes beyond just saving Aaron Harang’s career.

I’ve never laughed so hard in a pitching forum.

:rolllaugh: la, between you and jd, you guys kill me.