Need help making Decision

Hey guys, i was hoping i could get some advice here on what you think would provide more of a benefit. Next year i planned to go to a showcase from Coast to Coast baseball that is in Arizona. I tried out for it in the summer and got accepted, but it is very expensive. The other thing i was thinking i could do is go to one of Ron Wolforths boot camps sometime next winter(when i would be going to the showcase)

I have a few questions. Would i be better off to go to a colleges showcase where i am interested in playing/going to for a lot less? Does anyone have any experience with coast to coast, or Wolforths camps? I am just looking for suggestions as to what will make me better. Here is the coast to coast home page:

http://www.coasttocoastathletics.com/1

Please let me know what you think.

I know nothing about that organization and can’t comment on them. However, I noticed the following statement in the About Us section on their website:

1) High-level coaching/instruction - Because all our staff members have either played or coached at the collegiate or professional level players can be assured they will receive solid instruction and direction as part of the program.

From what I’ve seen, having played or coached at the collegiate or professional level is NOT always a guarantee of quality instruction.

Your mileage may vary!

Thanks for the response. Right now i am leaning a little bit towards going to Wolforths camp. I think i will learn more, then i can take that to some college showcases that i would like to go to. BTW it is going to be a very long ways either way. I live in Mchigan. :?

You can say that again!
A few years back I did a presentation for the Jack Graney chapter of SABR in Cleveland—about pitching coaches—and I described a goodly selection of them in terms of zoo specimens. There were the pitchers who not only could pitch but who also could coach and teach, and who did that very well. There were the ones who had never pitched in the majors but who could coach and teach and who did that very well. There were the ones who could pitch—oh, could they pitch—but couldn’t communicate with the ones they were trying to coach or teach. And there were the ones who couldn’t do either. Plus a couple of oddballs. The point I wish to make is that if it’s quality instruction you’re looking for, you might do better in a one-on-one situation—find a pitching coach who really knows his onions and who knows how to coach and teach, who knows how to tailor his approach to the particular needs of the individual. We don’t need or want cookie-cutters on these premises!

Are you of high school age? Are you still in high school?

The reasons for asking these questions is this, if you’re planning on going to a specific college, you should look at that college’s history of where they get their players from. Also, how do you stack up against the current pitching roster of that college. If the bulk of their pitchers are 6 foot 200 pounds and they’re all all-starts from prior clubs, then you should bring those same credentials to the table.

Here’s why I say that - college coaches and high school coaches have a connection, or familiarization kind of thing. The “who-you-know” coaching fraternity between these men can be very close and personal sometimes. Why? Because one system feeds the other. Also, the local scene of Legion Ball, travel ball, even fall ball falls into the same scheme of things. Take advantage of this system with respect to asking your high school coach what he recommends. Find out what colleges he has connections with.

If your high school coach doesn’t serve your purpose, and you’re on you’re own, then these questions have to be asked:
(1) “Just how good are you right now -really?
(2) “Why do you need training right now?” The thing that you have to be concerned with is the “right now” thing.
(3) “Did you play high school ball and be one of varsity go-to guys?”
(4) “Going to a tryout for a training camp, even a college camp and being accepted can be nothing more than a sales pitch.” Trust your gut feel on this one. Are you reaching just to fill in what you know you don’t have?” If that last sentence is spot on - what is it that you don’t have?