Need help analyzing 10yr old

Hi all,

I’m new to this forum. I’ve read through some of the posts and it looks like there are a lot of knowledgable people here. I need help analyzing my son’s mechanics. specifically his arm motion as it relates to pitching and in general.
He’s been pitching for 3 seasons now (8,9,10). We’ve gone to a few pitching clinics when he was 8 & 9. I know he doesn’t push off enough and his FB grip is not ideal (finger spread, thumb on side). I also know he’s not giving 100% (wants to throw strikes)

Aside from that, there’s something wrong with his arm/upper body motion in general. He is a good size kid (5’, 85lbs) but his throws, whether pitching or just throwing from any position seem to be considerably slower than some kids that are much smaller than him. To me it seems like his arm is too slow to come around and seems stiff.

I guess I should be happy because somehow even with his slow speed he ends up putting up great numbers and was our best pitcher on the Allstars. It’s frustrating to watch 'cause I know he should be able to throw much harder.

Here’s a video. I’d appreciate any feedback you can give.

I wouldn’t worry too much about him—after all, at ten years old he’s still a kid. I would suggest that he continue to work on the basic mechanics, posture, glove side control, the basics, and he could also work on developing a fast ball and a changeup. The rest will come as he matures.

The video says it’s private for me…would you change the setting so we can see?

OK. You should be able to see the video now.

You guys need to work on him finishing down and across. I have never liked the term “release point” but his is early and high. Nice to see a video of a kid having fun. Good luck.

Fix the grip - thumb and middle finger should cut the ball in half for all pitches except the splitter. But otherwise, leave the throwing arm alone. Tweak other things and let the arm adjust on its own.

Now the arm does look like it gets up in back early but it’s not early - the body is late in moving forward. Check out the following video of the Hershiser drill and then have your son practice it as best he can.

When he learns to lead with the front hip and get it moving forward sooner he will be able to create more velocity. He’ll have to build some strength to support the mechanics so don’t expect overnight improvement.

Thanks for the feedback all.

I’ll work on the mechanics and do some of those drills to get his lower body working more for him. Also plan on fixing his grip and working on a changeup. Tried it during the season but it was messing him up. Should be do-able now that we have some time off.

The other thing I see is that his hips (and therefore his shoulders) are rotating early. When he gets to footstrike, he’s already presented his chest towards home plate. If you can get him to delay hip/shoulder rotation he’ll have more power and his delivery will have a more “normal” look to it.

Some of the reason for the hip and shoulders opening early is that his stride foot is landing way to the left of center. If he was following through correctly everyone of his pitches would be going through the middle of the left hand batters box.

This is over simplifying things quite a bit but his stride should go straight to target and his upper body should wind up with his head directly over his front foot at release. Right now all his momentum is falling in with his head going to the right of his stride foot. Doing the Hershies should help get him moving in more a straight path to home. I have also found that putting down some tape or something for him to aim at and just doing a lot of reps are also a good idea.

Someone pointed out his stride foot lands to left of a center line which will diminish velocity and cause balance issues on the follow through. That brings me to the back leg.

His back leg comes forward almost the same time as the arm. This greatly slows the arm speed, too. There should be a noticeable delay in the back leg coming forward after the arm has thrown the ball. When the arm and back leg come forward at the same time you will have a dramatic drop in velocity.

Fix those two things and you should have a happy pitcher!