Need feedback

Hey everyone.

I’m a 19 year old freshman playing D1 JUCO Baseball. We have a pretty solid pitching program, but I’d still like to have some more feedback on my pitching mechanics. Note that the main issue that one of my coaches noted in this video is that my stride is too long, causing my hips to open a little before I land and to rotate slower than they could, BUT my lower half is something I’ve been working on for the past few years, so it is a lot better than it used to be.

Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you.

You could keep your hips tighter simply by turning your foot back toward third base.

I’ve tried, but by doing it, I can’t drive properly and my groin gets really cramped up. That’s why I start with my feet parallel.

I don’t see how driving with your foot closed for as long as you can would inhibit your stride.

How hard can you throw like this - Say 50 pitches?

To me it doesn’t look like your stride is too long, or that you open too soon. Maybe its the side angle of the camera. Have you measured off your side length to see if your within the acceptable range?

What I did notice is that you don’t seem to finish off the pitches. Try and get your chest over your lead leg more, and bend your back more to finish with your right shoulder pointing at the catcher. Feel like your putting your nose in the catcher’s glove.

To me it doesn’t look like your stride is too long, or that you open too soon. Maybe its the side angle of the camera. Have you measured off your side length to see if your within the acceptable range?

What I did notice is that you don’t seem to finish off the pitches. Try and get your chest over your lead leg more, and bend your back more to finish with your right shoulder pointing at the catcher. Feel like your putting your nose in the catcher’s glove.

I would agree with Nick on this one. Your stride actually looks pretty good to me. Powerful, and I don’t see you opening particularly early. But you are pretty upright with your chest at ball release. If you freeze the video at ball release, see how your head and shoulders are back well behind your front foot.

To me it looks like you’re sort of pole vaulting over your front leg, your front leg braces up, and then your hips shoot up. Instead you want your hips to stay there and just rotate powerfully with your chest catapulting over your front leg, if that makes sense.

I can see how your coach might see this and think a shorter stride could be the answer because it would make it easier to get over your front foot better. But really I think if you can just work to get more forward trunk tilt I think you have the makings of a very nice, powerful delivery here.

Here’s a clip of Jason Motte. Your delivery looks pretty similar to his up until trunk rotation. Watch his powerful forward trunk tilt into ball release.

Thank you for the feedback, and yes, my coach often talks about going over the front knee, and refers to it as the “2 o’clock position”.
Prior to this video I was having trouble with my arm action (not continuous and throwing across my body), but now that I have a smoother arm action, it’ll be easier to work on getting further in front. And I perfectly understand the concept of going more in front, now its just about working on it: repetitions and making it a muscle memory.
Sometimes I do feel like I’m too upright, my arm goes far in front but my body stays straight, making the ball go low but with less speed, than when its high, and it should be the opposite, because if your whole body goes far in front, low balls should pound at higher speeds.
And Kyle, I can’t really tell how hard I would throw after 50 pitches. I mean, I haven’t thrown more than 50 pitches in a game since this summer, and ever since, i’ve worked quite a bit on my mechanics. But I do have pretty good stamina.

I meant what speed would you average (on a fastball) for 50 pitches.

As far as your upright posture at release - I thought of Tyson Ross. He has an effectively shorter stride, but seems similar to me.

I would say mid 80’s for now, exactly how much, I don’t know.

How about consciously trying to reach toward the rubber with your glove after footplant?

That has helped me…

It doesn’t have to stay as part of your ‘delivery’ or ‘mechanics’ or whatever - But it could provide the feel that you want.

Hi, just wanted to add something after an article I came across the other day. How a AA pitcher in the Cubs org made an adjustment mid-season and went from mediocre to their minor league pitcher of the yr.

Shortening Struck’s stride may quicken rise to Cubs

might need a login to view it, so here’s an excerpt:

[quote]“Basically, the main problem was my stride,” said Struck, who went 10-5 with a 2.29 ERA in his final three months to finish with a Southern League-leading 14 victories while finishing fourth with a 3.18 ERA. "(Fassero) just hounded me on shortening my stride for about 11/2 months. It took awhile, but we figured it out and everything started rolling.

“It was mostly the shortening of my stride. When I did, I was getting on top of the ball and having more sink, and my changeup was diving better. My curve was tighter. It was a big change, but a small fix at the same time.”[/quote]
Just a reminder that a long stride isn’t the be-all end-all, and thought it might be worth a read for Marlins4life given your coach’s thoughts.

IMO, you want to maximize power in your delivery in the stride phase, and this usually leads to a longer stride. But there’s more to pitching than just velocity. As this article shows, sometimes shortening up a little is what the doctor ordered.

Phil, with your talk about his hips shooting up. Is the proper hip travel path to be down at an angle, and then stay in the position. He looks like he’s just standing up on his leg which brings his hips up. “Bending your back” and getting your chest over that front leg prevents that?

Yes, that’s basically what I wrote, sorry tough for me to explain better. [quote]To me it looks like you’re sort of pole vaulting over your front leg, your front leg braces up, and then your hips shoot up. Instead you want your hips to stay there and just rotate powerfully with your chest catapulting over your front leg, if that makes sense.[/quote]

Watch Motte at the frame just before ball release and after ball release. Very little upward movement with his hips. His force is directed towards home plate and his chest catapults over his front leg. The other pitcher braces up with his front leg very well, but because of the lack of forward trunk tilt (catapult effect) the hips shoot up (more like pole-vaulting, misdirected energy).

I don’t really view the hip position through ball release as something to really teach or obsess about. I just pointed it out in this instance as an indicator of the lack of fwd trunk tilt. hope that makes sense.