Need expert to help me with mechanics

here’s a link to a video of me pitching, I would really appreciate any feedback.

I see a couple common problems.

I think you should>

Get a quicker tempo to the plate you are to slow and it’s hurtting the momentum to the plate

Also rotate around the plant leg do not drive through and at the target like you do. hard to explain but do no move forward with lower body after you plant only in rotation to release.

Keep the shoulders sideway’s longger you tend to throw with all arm. Let the body throw the ball not the arm.

Force in mechanics are created with speed of movement and your momentum you gain using your mass. So just get the hip moving at the target as soon as you lift the leg up move to the plate.

so you’re saying that I should not only keep my hips closed, but that i should maintain closed shoulders for as long as possible…right?

I don’t really understand what you are saying about my follow through…that my lower half is swinging around too fast? how would i correct this?

I don’t think the tempo is as big an issue, it’s easily fixable. I was slowing things down to focus on mechanics and proper technique…

Don’t listen to RIstar he is probably your age and he calls himself an expert. He is not educated and it is not true that up tempo increases velocity. I am his same age and I do not call myself an expert on anything that I’ve studied even longer than RIstar’s 2 years. If you want an expert then just wait for someone like KC and his seal or Bower to come in. RIstar will not help you any.

Hence, don’t try to correct anything as far as RIstar is telling you wait for an experieced pitcher it will ruin you.

Don’t underestimate this. Increasing your tempo changes your timing and it requires appropriate strength and flexibility to stabilize the body and execute the mechanics while the body is moving faster.

Slow things down when you initially make a new adjustment. But for video analysis, we really need to see you throwing at game intensity.

ok I hear what you guys are saying, and I have made a few minor adjustments. I am now focusing on staying back, leading with my hip, keeping my hands close to my body and following through

here are the 4 links to the four videos: (left,right,front,back views). I forgot to wear cleats when filming this video so I did slip a little bit on my plant foot, as you can see in the video. Anyway, you should get a good sense of my mechanics (I realize they still might need a little work)

I noticed on the side view that your nose is not over your knee when you release the ball. You want your nose to be over your front knee when your releasing the ball. Better then the first video, I’ll let some more knowledgeable people give you some more advice.

Looks to me like you tend to open the shoulders up to soon and that causes you to throw all arm. keep the shoulders closed and that should fix that.

Lanky,

What I see in your video is an inconsistent, but promising delivery. From the first base side view, I see that your head drops as you start your forward thrust which indicates a problem with balance. This balance issue is confirmed when, at times, your posting foot pops up without any drag line. You also tend to look down at your foot, then to the right, and finally at your target as you start your motion. My suggestion is that you bend your knees more before you start your pitching motion. Try to keep your head level to the target by locking on to the target early, and keeping locked on until release. Your head should stay on a fairly straight line towards home plate, and this should stop your posting foot from popping up prematurely.

You are effectively striding out to about 80% of your body height. You want to try and extend your foot strike to 90% if you can. Your posting foot on your best pitches has about a 10-13 inch drag that tails to your left. Other time it pops up with 3-4 inches of drag. You want your drag line at about 18-24 inches. The first thing I would have you do is to smooth the mound out, then draw a line about 2 feet in length perpendicular to the rubber (straight to home plate). Take about four to five pitches, and watch where your foot drags to. You currently post on the far left side of the rubber and drag about 3-5 inches further to the left. You want to post your left foot in the spot that helps you end up looking square at home place (you want the end of your drag line to end on the line you draw). To do this, it looks like you should move your posting foot to 3-5 inches to the right side of the line you draw. If you measure from the right side of the rubber, your toe should probably land at about the 7 inch mark. This will move your drag line so that it ends up on the perpendicular line.

Getting your butt out faster will help you lengthen your stride to 90%. Get to your foot strike as quick as you are able to without causing balance problems. You will find that the length of your drag line will increase as you extend your stride.

Your hips open before foot strike which causes premature shoulder rotation. While you are getting good forward (directional to the plate) momentum, you are getting very little rotational momentum. As your hips open to the plate after foot strike, you need to delay your shoulder rotation for as long as you are able. Your balance is good at foot strike, but you tend to throw your glove hand off to the right, which takes away some of your directional and rotational momentum. Try to hold your glove hand in front of you. Swivel the top of the glove up, and continue your forward motion toward the glove (elbow at your side). When you square up to the plate, keep your body moving to the glove (which means it continues to move to home plate) and release the pitch about 8 inches in front of your knee/big toe.

You should work on a consistent delivery each and every time. You have good arm strength and it appears you are accurate. It’s tough to tell from the video.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

[quote=“Knightbird”]Getting your butt out faster will help you lengthen your stride to 90%. Get to your foot strike as quick as you are able to without causing balance problems. You will find that the length of your drag line will increase as you extend your stride.[/quote]Good stuff.

[quote=“Knightbird”]Your hips open before foot strike which causes premature shoulder rotation [/quote]Only if you let it. The hips must open before footplant.

[quote=“Knightbird”]As your hips open to the plate after foot strike, you need to delay your shoulder rotation for as long as you are able.[/quote]Shoulder rotation begins at footplant, not after. This is part of the chain of events that includes opening the hips into footplant (just before, not really early).

I like most of what I see with this pitcher. The first thing I’d do is speed up the tempo in the early going here. Far too slow. Relax and let things go.

Also, although I can’t really tell from the videos, you look as if you’re landing on the closed side of the target line (to the 1st base side for you as a lefty). :slight_smile: As a result, you seem to throw across your body.

The last thing to think about, in my estimation at least, is that you seem to not want to fully rotate the shoulders on the follow through. The back leg comes up but moves out to your left considerably, because of the centre of gravity not having enough forward momentum, inhibiting the rotation of the shoulders. This doesn’t happen every time though. There’s the inconsistency that Knightbird mentioned. Watch, in the front view, how your centre of gravity and left foot move sideways, toward 1st base. Has someone told you that you have to “land in a good fielding position”?

It’s like your momentum toward the plate is stunted, sometimes. You need to give yourself permission to gain momentum toward the plate, rotate the back hip up and over the front foot (around the other hip), and have the shoulders rotate well past where they do now. Let it happen. Fire away. It’s OK to allow the back foot to come up, over and down toward the plate.

Rotate those shoulders. Fully. Don’t stop them. Show the back of your left shoulder to the catcher when you’re done.

Despite all of that, I like what I see here. You have potential. Relax and throw the ball. I think you might be wanting to “look like a pitcher” too much, which stops you from firing away.