Need emergenvy help

I have a tournament coming up soon. I am finally getting my velocity up in the 80’s and throwing without pain, but all my balls are high. every pitch is at the batters head. what can i do to get command on my pitches.
over the summer i was working on my mechanics on flat ground wihtout a ball. i was just doing repition of it for muscle memory. could that be a reason why? what can i do to get my fast ball low and back into the strike zone, and how can i get control of it again
thank you

First of all, forget about working on flat ground. You need to get up on a mound and work intensively from there. Just throwing downhill, which is what you would do on the mound, you’ll be able to get your stuff down into the strike zone. Next, consider your arm slot—are you throwing too much over the top? That could be part of the problem. Try dropping to 3/4 instead of straight overhand, and keep an eye on your release point.There are some adjustments you can make, and maybe you can get a good pitching coach to help you with this.
And don’t worry about the speed. You say you throw 85 miles an hour. Okay. If you have a couple of good breaking pitches, even just the basic curve and changeup, you can use them to set up that fast ball which will look to the batter as if it were coming in there at 105. That’s what is known as “strategic pitching”, and it has won a lot of games for a lot of pitchers who don’t have the speed. A long time ago my pitching coach told me, "Move the ball around—high, low, inside, outside, change speeds, and stay away from the middle of the plate."
Go to it, and good luck. 8) :baseballpitcher:

[quote=“loco123”]I have a tournament coming up soon. I am finally getting my velocity up in the 80’s and throwing without pain, but all my balls are high. every pitch is at the batters head. what can i do to get command on my pitches.
over the summer i was working on my mechanics on flat ground wihtout a ball. i was just doing repition of it for muscle memory. could that be a reason why? what can i do to get my fast ball low and back into the strike zone, and how can i get control of it again
thank you[/quote]Keep it simple, when on the mound and you’re throwing too far up in the zone just adjust your stride.

[quote=“Zita Carno”]First of all, forget about working on flat ground. You need to get up on a mound and work intensively from there. Just throwing downhill, which is what you would do on the mound, you’ll be able to get your stuff down into the strike zone.[/quote]Bingo!! There are no “magic bullets” with this stuff. It’s about feel and a great way to get that feel is to be specific with your training. Remember, you get good at what you practice, specifically. You practiced on flat ground without a ball, so guess what, you got good at throwing without a ball on flat ground. Then you got on a mound with a ball and a strike zone at a certain distance. Everything changed. Different task now.

So, be more specific with your training. Trial and error. Lots of it. It’ll come if you work at it.

I’d not change small mechanical items just yet, whether it be your stride or your arm slot or something else. Just get some specific practice in and adjust naturally. Your current arm slot and stride length might actually be the best ones for you.

Get some trial and error happening with specificity and see what happens. Take some video after some real work and post it. Then we’ll see if you have some obvious mechanical issues.

For some, getting too technical or mechanical isn’t the answer. I have a kid that often struggles up in the zone, and when he does I work with him to adjust his release point . In the pen, if you are missing up force yourself to throw the next several low…in the dirt if you must… then adjust and find a happy medium. Sometimes focusing on the whole process, rather than breaking it into possible causes, can help to resolve the problem.

[quote=“loco123”]I have a tournament coming up soon. I am finally getting my velocity up in the 80’s and throwing without pain, but all my balls are high. every pitch is at the batters head. what can i do to get command on my pitches.
thank you[/quote]

You’re probably rushing, which is a timing problem that can result from too much flat-ground throwing among other things.

Try breaking your hands sooner or lower. You may also want to try dipping your back shoulder a bit.

Chris is that what you did back when you were pitching?

Kids, sometime the internet is a very dangerous thing.

Too much rushing?!? How can we tell this kid anything mechanical right now? Too much talk about mechanics. Let him get on a mound and pitch to targets at the correct distance. Let him adjust for a while. Trial and error. For all we know, flat ground practice is the only problem he has. After some specific practice, he might be just fine. We’ll then need video and we can obsess about mechanics at that time. Right now, it’s pointless. All speculation.