Need advice on ptiches (split, knuckle, and curve)

hey guys i want to learn 3 new pitches the splitfinger, knuckle, and the curve. i have thrown all of these pitches from the way my coaches siad to throw them, but i never seem to see a diffrence in speed or motion.

for the split, i have almost no idea how to throw it, i want a pitch that will go high at first and then just dramaticly drop at the end. don’t know if this is the pitch that does this, but if it is, i need to learn the grip and how to throw it

for my Kuckler, i haven’t thrown this pitch in about a month and when i threw it yesterday i had only a bit of rotation, and very little movement (btw i throw it like Tim Wakefield, using the horseshoe seam on the ball)

and finally my curve, i want to make this pitch one of my best, when i throw it it doesn’t really move up and down like it should it mostly just goes up and comes down a bit. I don’t know what’s wrong but it is supposed to go up and then come swining down. that is the action im trying to get from this pitch, right now i am not sure how to throw it, or if i should throw it hard or slow…

hope u guys can help me thx…

P.S i am 17 years old, i am a senior in high school been pitching since freshmen year

My Pitches:
Fastball- 80-85mph
changeup- 75-78mph
cutter-79-84mph
knuckle- 50-54mph(having problems don’t throw much)

You have plenty of pitches, you have to be real close to your season starting. Should be honing your stuff, not developing. Really…start monkeying around with stuff and it may mess you all up on your other stuff. Not a great scenario at the start of the year.

ok thx for advice, but can u tell me atleast how to throw a spliter or curve ball to see which one i should leave out of my arsenal… i want another pitch to keep the hitter guessing since my k-ball isn’t really that good

so which ever u think is a better pitch the curve or split to confuse the hitter, help me out with it thx…

i’ve been pitching for 4 years my arm is pretty developed

See the uppermost post. Should be easy:
(
http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=44250#44250
)

i know how to throw a cutter already… it’s in my arsenal i throw it 79-84mph… i am trying to see which pitch is better for confusing the hitter the curve or the split finger.

All of my varsity and jv coaches say a k-ball is worse for your arm than a curveball…because of the flicking action

well look at my arsenal i barley throw my k-ball i think it’s because i’m trowing it to hard i need help with it i’m not sure to throw hard or snap my wrist or just simply just throw it with no power and no wrist action.

like i siad i know how to throw the curveball (i think) it’s just that i’m not getting any good movement on it… and i’m trying to see if the splitfinger is an easier ball to throw.

[quote=“dominikid07”]well look at my arsenal i barley throw my k-ball i think it’s because i’m trowing it to hard i need help with it i’m not sure to throw hard or snap my wrist or just simply just throw it with no power and no wrist action.

like i siad i know how to throw the curveball (i think) it’s just that i’m not getting any good movement on it… and i’m trying to see if the splitfinger is an easier ball to throw.[/quote]

Make sure you keep your elbow up and really get on top of the ball. Might help you. I cant say what exactly is wrong without seeing you throw it, but those are 2 common mistakes

I can help you with the k-ball, just PM me. I’m the knuckleball go to guy on these boards.

ok Pustulio i’ll pm u for more information on the k-ball

when u say keep on top of the ball do u mean to try to realease with my fingers on top of the ball or what?.. i know i’m suupposed to rotate it downward, but i think the problem is my angle… don’t know which angle to throw it

Sorry, I forgot to mention that what you need is just to look at the grip, not all the blabla I wrote. I think you won’t find a simpler way to learn to throw it that by watching this:

I hope it helps.

ok thx i’ll try it out. but he seems to not center his finger on the seam. well anyway i’ll try to throw it and see what results i get…

… if this rain ever stops that is…

ok i went training for the past 2 days, my curveball is perfect right now, thx for helping me, and my knucleball started to get some movement, the catcher told me that one went high then dangled in the air and just droped out of nowhere, so i think i’m starting to get the hang of it, but my knucleball isn’t having alot of movement. well anyway i’ll keep practacing and thanks for all your help