Need a mechanical analysis please

Hey everyone,

I threw this bullpen on Tues. I had a much better session on thursday, and I have been tinkering with new mechanical implementations from my camp/that I’ve gotten from this site. This is my first time off a mound, I had been doing a lot of flat ground, so this was quite an adjustment.

I’ve included multiple views and angles and some dry mechanics. I know that my torso moves from side to side and that my front foot plants funny, does anyone else see these issues?

Also, I"m seeing that my glove arm goes side to side and yanks my body with it, any fixes?

I’m wondering what else people see that are flaws in my mechanics and any possible fixes, I’ve been working on loading on my back leg and then exploding forward. I have command and movement, I’m hoping velocity will increase in the near future

Thank you so much guys! I"m looking forward to feedback

You should be out over your front leg when you are throwing.

Collapsing on your back leg is preventing this.

Your momentum should be forward. You are almost standing straight up when you finish your pitch which I see as being detrimental to your velocity.

From the side view it looks like you get your head out front quite a bit. Eyes up and let your back foot come off the rubber a little faster that should help.

The only problem with the side view is that you are not actually throwing a ball. You cant make a mechanical analysis on a dry run because it is completely different. Even your mechanics are different when you are not throwing.

I would get multiple views of you throwing to a catcher, that way we can critique all aspects of your delivery.

There is very little hip to shoulder separation, so (pending real pitching clips from the side), it looks like you’re compensating by using your shoulder/arms more. I believe your shoulders are finishing either at the same time or before your hips have fully rotated towards the catcher.

This anticipating might be causing you to land with your upper body slightly tilted towards home plate (head is further towards home plate than your belly button). Once you do that, you lose some stored energy.

Relying on your upper body/shoulder to throw might be encouraging the lower body/legs to collapse. If you were using your backleg more to help “push” your hips forward, you’d tend to see the straight back legs at ball release.

This might be a function of a dry pitch/no ball, but your arm isn’t flexing to get the level/flat forearm position. It looks like your maintaining the same arm angle throughout the pitching. When I looked at the pitches from the back (with a ball), it doesn’t seem to flex very much either.

We can see more if as noted above, you get some footage with real pitches.

Take care,
Al

I apologize for this being so late, I’ve been transitioning in a move.

@Bigal. Great analysis thank you. but what are some things I can do to fix fix the shoulder/hip separation? I’ve been in a rut trying to incorporate my lower body into my mechanics more and use my arm less, and I think that will obv increase velo. I have the command and movement still though.

Also, what do you mean by my head is too far forward? I though that if its out front more then your arm slot will be too and cause a downhill plane. Although I do know that I have a strange thing where my lead toe lifts up and comes down. This session was my first off a mound in 3 wks. But I know, no excuses :stuck_out_tongue:

@hoysauce- I’ve been trying to figure out how to get over my front leg and make my momentum forward vs side to side. any suggestions?

Thanks everyone

The best advice i can give is to move your Glove arm and your lead leg simultaneously. It looks like you ARE doing this in your motion but you arent staying tall. I dont like the term “tall and fall” its a controlled explosion. You need to throw down and when you collapse your back leg everything is side to side. Throw down THROUGH the catcher, rather than TO the catcher. In order to finish with your throwing arm on the outside of your lead leg at follow through you have to get everything out front. I wish I knew how to post pictures/video I have about 100 examples in a couple books.

could you probably scan some pictures and upload them maybe? or maybe I can get them from an email from you?

I think I"m getting a more clear understanding of what youre saying. people were saying that I cant have my head out front, but how would that work in conjunction with my body/everything being out front? My biggest issue the past 18 months has been getting everything out front and now I have conflicting ideas as to what to do :shock:

for through the catcher, I should be focusing all my energy forward and then trying to make it go in a chain thats in a straight line?

does anyone else think that the arm path looks weird? It looks like it hurts! Oh and for many of the pitches you stopped your arm follow through. let it loose the second you release the ball. I bounce around like a cooked noodle after i release. It feels great.

Yeah I fall into my pitch. You get good drive, but i agree with whomever said that your back leg is detrimental to your velocity.

GL hf

[quote=“twinsfan33”]I apologize for this being so late, I’ve been transitioning in a move.

@Bigal. Great analysis thank you. but what are some things I can do to fix fix the shoulder/hip separation?

Both the pitching manual and NPA recommend doing wall drills to increase flexibility. It is one of the hardest things to master. You see an example from the NPA website but it costs you a couple of bucks to download. There are example of the drill on youtube. Let me know if you can’t find it. The pitching manual also suggests proper towel drills will help as well.

Also, what do you mean by my head is too far forward?

What I was referring to was the position of your head at foot strike (flat foot on the ground). It looks like your head is closer to the catcher than your belly button. What you want is your head to be behind your belly button at landing so that when you rotate your hips it has more momentum as you’re “still loaded”.

Keeping your head back means that your head is getting out in front of your balance or your plum line. Getting it out in front effects your balance, release point and making your motion repeatable. When your body moves forward 1 inch, your head should move forward 1 inch, what I see is that your head starts first and then continues to move farther and farther out in front of your body

My 2 cents

IMO you first need to work on getting more out of your lower body. If you do so then some of the other things people have mentioned may fall into place.

Start by eliminating the body/head movement toward 2nd at leg lift. The head should move only toward the target. Moving toward 2nd during leg lift as you do forces your body to “re-group” before you start home. From this position it is easy for the upper half to get ahead of the lower half and cause a timing problem.

To solve this start with your feet closer together- slightly less than shoulder width apart. I’d also suggest a little more bend in the knees and slight forward lean at the waist. Think free throw stance or batting stance type of lean.

As you lift your leg from this narrower stance you should now be able to maintain balance with no rearward movement. Ideally your hips should begin driving toward home plate sometime before you reach the top of leg lift- no pause, no “balance point”. How soon you can get moving will depend on your individual strength, flexibility etc. but the goal is to get moving toward the target sometime before max leg lift. The NPA “crossover drill” and Hershiser drill are good for establishing this feel.

In short eliminate the rearward movement away from the target and get your legs and hips moving quicker to the target. I’m not saying shorten your stride just try to cover the same amount of ground a little quicker. Work on these things first and some of the upper body issues that people have mentioned may take care of themselves.