Nautilus workout

From what I hear Nautilus style workouts are the most effective and time efficient. I was wondering if anyone on this site had any experience or thoughts about them. For those who aren’t familiar with them, here is a little summary about them.

-Only 1 set per machine, to failure

-Full Range of Motion(slow reps, no fast jerky motions)

-Legs first then upper body

-No breaks between machines

-Typical workout is completed in around 15 minutes(2-3 times a week)

-Very high intensity

Remember, we pitch from our feet, so you want to train from your feet as much as possible. That’s functional strength.

Nautilus machines are not the most effective. Free weights are.

I appreciate the feedback! But when you say train from your feet what do you exactly mean? Why is it that Free Weights are the most effective?

Free weights are better than machines because machines constrain the plane of motion that you are working in. This isn’t remotely true while pitching! You need to get your stabilizer muscles some work. When you do leg pressing with the Nautilus machines, you aren’t accounting for lateral displacement of the hips that happens in the pitching motion (or anything athletic, for that matter). Same goes for shoulder/chest press machines compared to barbell or dumbbell work.

Free weights are better than machines because machines constrain the plane of motion that you are working in. This isn’t remotely true while pitching! You need to get your stabilizer muscles some work. When you do leg pressing with the Nautilus machines, you aren’t accounting for lateral displacement of the hips that happens in the pitching motion (or anything athletic, for that matter). Same goes for shoulder/chest press machines compared to barbell or dumbbell work.[/quote]

Sorry to cut in but what kind of exercises would you do for pitching motions?

Squats, rows, deadlifts, chin-ups, DB bench pressing, push-ups, medicine ball work, and so forth. My website has more information, and I have a lot of YouTube videos available on my channel:

http://www.youtube.com/drivelinebaseball

…including plenty of me practicing what I preach!

Free weights are better than machines because machines constrain the plane of motion that you are working in. This isn’t remotely true while pitching! You need to get your stabilizer muscles some work. When you do leg pressing with the Nautilus machines, you aren’t accounting for lateral displacement of the hips that happens in the pitching motion (or anything athletic, for that matter). Same goes for shoulder/chest press machines compared to barbell or dumbbell work.[/quote]

Agreed. The reason that free weights rule include the use of the whole body which helps with coordination. In addition, free weights cause you to recruit small muscles for stabilization.

Do you folks got any legit resources to back these comments up?

Sure. Here’s a start:

UnDiscovered -

If you have questions - suggest you query a guy named Eric Cressey - he runs a facility in the Boston area where many college, minor and major league players train and he writes a blog with much good information. Read up on this and self-educate yourself. I really liked his youtube video lecture he did last week where he discussed four types of strength workouts - not 4 specific workouts but that strength workouts are a continuum running from the “brute” power-lifter strong workout through the specificity workout of throwing a 5 oz baseball. I thought it was pretty interesting. I don’t know how old you are but I never considered throwing a baseball a strength training part of my workout.

Also, if for some reason nautilus equipment was all I had I guess that is what I would use to build strength. But most folks agree that the best way to workout and build functional strength is with free weights - but sometimes you got to workout with what you have.

I would still try to figure out how to include some ground based lifts or movements in my workout - push-ups, sissy squats, pistol squats, lunges, etc. that could be done without either a spotter or a large amount of free weights but would still provide some benefits. At some point in time though you will need to have free weights in your workout.

[quote=“kidmullen”]UnDiscovered -

If you have questions - suggest you query a guy named Eric Cressey - he runs a facility in the Boston area where many college, minor and major league players train and he writes a blog with much good information. Read up on this and self-educate yourself. I really liked his youtube video lecture he did last week where he discussed four types of strength workouts - not 4 specific workouts but that strength workouts are a continuum running from the “brute” power-lifter strong workout through the specificity workout of throwing a 5 oz baseball. I thought it was pretty interesting. I don’t know how old you are but I never considered throwing a baseball a strength training part of my workout.

Also, if for some reason nautilus equipment was all I had I guess that is what I would use to build strength. But most folks agree that the best way to workout and build functional strength is with free weights - but sometimes you got to workout with what you have.

I would still try to figure out how to include some ground based lifts or movements in my workout - push-ups, sissy squats, pistol squats, lunges, etc. that could be done without either a spotter or a large amount of free weights but would still provide some benefits. At some point in time though you will need to have free weights in your workout.[/quote]

Now just because it worked for this guy doesn’t mean it is the best way to workout. Don’t you guys have any science to back this up like Nautilus and Arthur Jones does.

They used free weights in the 50’s and you guys are still using them. lol
Maybe we should convert back to the horse and buggy. lol

You need to read exercise science journals and books if you don’t think free weights are the best implements. Do your own homework if you don’t believe us.

UnDiscovered -

Go ahead - make a run at it using Nautilus - keep us informed how it turns out.

Good luck.