"natural" screwball

i am a shutout pitcher in my travel league and i was throwing a steady diet of fastballs, but just recently i was told by a coach that i am throwing a natural screwball, with my natural arm action. i was wondering if anyone has ever heard of this

i have faced a pitcher at 11 who had a natural screwball i dont no much about it but ik how 2 hit it

Well first, are you sure you arent just throwing a tailing fastball? There is a lot of difference between a tailing fastball and a screwball. Even when I went to try out for my D1 school, the pitching coach there didn’t understand how my fastball could move so much. (or are you throwing a 2-seam which is supposed to do that?)

this would help if show the grip.

[quote=“Sunsetblud”]Well first, are you sure you arent just throwing a tailing fastball? There is a lot of difference between a tailing fastball and a screwball. Even when I went to try out for my D1 school, the pitching coach there didn’t understand how my fastball could move so much. (or are you throwing a 2-seam which is supposed to do that?)[/quote] i am throwing a 4 seam and i think you might be right

If you were throwing a screwball it wouldn’t be as fast as a fastball and it would be close to a reverse slider or curveball

My 4 seam cuts in almost like a curveball, and my two seam tails like a screwball. it may just be the way you are delivering the ball. or it could be the difference in the lengths of your fingers.

Could you get us a picture of the grip?

therbert11 I very highly doubt that your 4-seam breaks like a curveball. That would mean it has incredible top spin. Maybe it drops like a sinker but never a curveball. And a 2-seam that breaks like a screwball… highly doubt it. Once again screwballs like curveballs have a whole lot of top spin the only difference is that the ball spins slightly to the side making it the reverse break of a curveball

I think some people are mixing a tailing fastball with a screwball. A tailing fastball is a fastball that moves up and in on a righty maybe 3 or 4 inches. A screwball is a change up that breaks in ALOT.

i tailing fastball doesn’t tail UP. It goes to the right for a righty/ left for a lefty.
Usually they will drop an inch or 2 also.

I apologize if I am wrong. I know that my friend’s two-seamer tails like that. :?:

MoMack20, What i meant was in the direction of those pitches. Or rather like a slider than a curveball. My four seam used to break like a cutter, and my two seam breaks like a two seam should.

so thats wth I’m throwing. When my friend catches he says my ball moves right before the batter!

YES!! lol