Natural Movement

Is there anything such as natural movement?

People say that lefties have “natural lefty movement” on their fastballs. I however have seen lefties with incredibly flat fastballs.

The term more refers to when someone doesn’t change their “natural” arm slot and gets good movement.

There you go, “undersized”! My pitching coach of long ago had this premise: that every pitcher has a natural motion. And what this guy did was to work with said pitcher and show him (or, in my case, her) how to make the most of it. As for the flat fast balls you mention, that is so often the case with the four-seamer. One time when Jim Brosnan was with the St. Louis Cardinals he complained to pitching coach Clyde King about his two fast balls, neither of which was working for him. King called in a catcher, had Brosnan do some throwing, and told him that his two-seamer was working much better for him and he should stay with it.
What one needs to do is a bit of fine-tuning, without any attempt to alter a pitcher’s delivery unless he’s screwing up so badly that something needs to be done. I have seldom seen this particular situation; if a pitcher is really making a mess of things that’s the time to go back to square one. Consider the case of Allie Reynolds. He came to the Yankees in a trade. He was really more of a thrower than a pitcher; he was fast—100 MPH or better—but he couldn’t find the plate to save himself! But Ed Lopat took him in hand and worked with him, taught him to slow down his delivery and pace himself better, taught him a few good breaking pitches—and exit the thrower, enter a power pitcher with finesse. He now had the control to go with all his stuff, and he served the Yankees well for more than seven years. 8)

I was wondering. I have natural movement on my 4-seam. Im not exactly sure why, but it has more movement than my 2-seam and probly breaks a good food. When I went to my college try outs for my D1 school, the pitching coach there was extremely impressed because he said he had never seen anything like it before… I ended up blowing the tryout anyway cause i hadnt thrown for a very long time before that and i had no other pitches… But my question was, is this a bad thing? My coaches have always been trying to get me to get on top of the ball and stuff so I dont have any movement on my 4-seam… But truthfully I really like my movement, and I know there are alot of hitters who have talked to me who really dont like it… So what exactly is making all my coaches tell me that I should be changing this? Idk im just a little confused.

I don’t get it. You say you’re getting good movement on your four-seamer, and if this is a natural thing, good for you. I’ll bet that a lot of pitchers wish they had natural movement on one or another of their pitches. And if batters don’t like it, that means they can’t hit it.

My 11yo sons ball moves down/in to RH hitters (he’s RH). I first started noticing his ball move when he was 9, but it’s much more common with a majority of his pitches now. His 4 seamer moves more than his 2 seamer, and he throws 3/4 with no unusual motion or added hand manipulation.

My question is… Is this purely grip and finger pressure plus spin that’s creating this? I don’t tell him his ball is moving, because I don’t want him to try to make it move. Any ideas?

Arm slot and hand position on the baseball will reflect in movement. A grip can do some things too!

Exactly! I think finger length, too., because when the ball comes out of the hand, the last thing to apply force to the ball is your fingers.

Movement is a tricky thing in my opinion. I throw from a high-3/4 arm slot and did not get a lot of movement on my FB even though I threw hard. So I focused on getting movement on my off-speed stuff. I think this can work if, like me, you don’t get a lot of natural movement on your 4S or 2S fastball.

Exactly! I think finger length, too., because when the ball comes out of the hand, the last thing to apply force to the ball is your fingers.

Movement is a tricky thing in my opinion. I throw from a high-3/4 arm slot and did not get a lot of movement on my FB even though I threw hard. So I focused on getting movement on my off-speed stuff. I think this can work if, like me, you don’t get a lot of natural movement on your 4S or 2S fastball.[/quote]

Does tightness of rotation over speed account for more or less movement? OR does it not matter?

Movement is a tricky thing in my opinion. I throw from a high-3/4 arm slot and did not get a lot of movement on my FB even though I threw hard. So I focused on getting movement on my off-speed stuff. I think this can work if, like me, you don’t get a lot of natural movement on your 4S or 2S fastball.[/quote]

Does tightness of rotation over speed account for more or less movement? OR does it not matter?[/quote]

I think it does, but I don’t know how to impart tighter rotation on the ball other than to say with a FB, you’ve got to hold it loose and out in the fingertips, get good wrist action, etc.