Natalio "Junior" Navarro's 2009 Off Season Workout

Okay, so since I am now on a weight training program and some workout program that I am dedicated to, I am now going to start a Log FINNALLY, on what I do each day. I am going to be very very Honest on what I do and I will post it on here. I am hoping that you guys can help me and tell me if I am WORKING HARD ENOUGH to get to the next level. And I hope you be as honest as me when you post on here. Now mind you I barely started this Workout program In Late August. So my Weight lifting numbers may not be were they are supposed to be. But please tell me if I am working hard enough or too hard, tell me what I am doing wrong. My Trainer is the football trainer/ Linebackers coach, and the basketball trainer. His little brother is a senior on our HS baseball team. So he is putting his extra time in for me. I will be training here up until February when the season starts

This here is just some simple facts about me.

School: Castlemont High school
Class: Class of 2011
GPA: 3.91 non-weighted
Classes I am taking now:

1. Chemistry
  2. AP Spanish Literature
  3. IWE (Teachers Assistant)
  4. AP Calculus
  5. AP US History
  6. English 3

Height: 6’0"
Weight: 274
40 time: 5.9
60 time: IDK at the moment
Position: RHP, 3rd Base, 1st Base
Velocity: Low 80s, 85 tops
Pitches: Fastball, Hard Curve, Slider, Circle Change-Up.

Bench: 165 lbs. tops
Squat: 275lbs.

Goals:

Long Term: Most Importantly reach major league baseball, have a successful pitching career, and have enough money to give back to my community.

Throw at least 90 mph by Senior year.

Get Drafted

Why? To help my family going through all these economic struggles, to stop seeing my mom cry at night, and when I make it, she can have a real good nights sleep. Like Trey Songs, the R&B singer, says “I just wanna be successful”

Short Term:
Become 1 in class in my school
Get a 4.0+ GPA in both semesters
Loose 20 lbs. by next season
Get stronger and sit 85 mph

So this is what I did today:

All Running day…ran with the football team

5 sets of 5 yrd suttles back to back with
5 sets of 10 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 15 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 20 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 25 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 30 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 35 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 40 yrd shuttles back to back with
5 sets of 45 yrd shuttles…

How’d it go? At first I was tired and was running full sprint until about when I got to the 25 or 30 yrd shuttles, then I was jogging because I was tired and out of breathe, and was being left behind the pack of the other guys, but was still in front of some lineman. At 45 I became one of the last ones. Just me being totally honest

Then I got a 7 minute break…got some water and put my asthma pump on.

Then I ran the bleachers.

5 sets of 5 up and down
I had to act like I was stealing a base, turn my hips and start running up on the balls of my feet. With 2:30 minute rest in between sets.

How’d it go? I Started getting tired early but kept pushing, my legs we weak from lower body lifting yesterday and the previous running today. On the last sets 4-5 I started to not run as fast as my first couple sets. Again just me being totally honest.

I started my workout at about 3:30 till about 4:30 so thats an hour of running

Tommorow I wont be doing anything, I have a doctors appointment at 4 and all the workouts are supposed to start at 3:30 pm for me.
So I am going to rest. As my leg hurts to even crouch to take a shit. lol

so…
IS THIS HARD WORK OR LAZY WORK?

I will ask this question everytime I post on my log okay?

:lol:

Well, thanks again and I will keep you guys posted and make sure to comment here.

I havn’t posted this week because my computer wasnt working. But Yesterday Workout looked like this…

Lower Body Day:

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 265 lbs. Max 205 Min.
Ankle Hops: 4 Calf Raises then Hop Up (Thats One) 4x12
> (Back-to-Back)
Hack Squats (280 lbs.): 4x12

Leg Press: 4x12 (Left leg, then right leg thats one set)
>
Box hops: 4x6

Deadlift: 4x12

Today’s workout…

Upperbody/ABS day:

Bench: 5-4-3-2-1 135 min. 150 max.

Machine Workout idk what the workout is called but: 12-8-6-4 (Reps) each set increasing weight.
Back2back with 10lbs of shoulder raises on a incline bench working back shoulder muscles 3x12 on those.

Machine:

using the top big thing, 12-8-6-4 curls, and 12-8-6-4 pull down.

Medicine Ball Workouts on abs.

Then laying down on bench raising legs small 6 in. up and down 10 times then going all the way up 10 times then side curls ups10 times each side

All this was one set, I did 4

This was todays workout
so tell me was this GOOD WORK or LAZY WORK?
I have another workout tommorow right after school

Lower Body Day:

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 265 lbs. Max 205 Min.

(Back-to-Back)
Hack Squats (280 lbs.): 4x12

Leg Press: 4x12 (Left leg, then right leg thats one set)

Then ABS:

Same workout as yesterday, the

Medicine Ball Workouts on abs.

Then laying down on bench raising legs small 6 in. up and down 10 times then going all the way up 10 times then side curls ups10 times each side

All this was one set, I did 4 total

Im just gonna call it ABS Torture Test, since it doesn’t have a name

Well this is what I did today after school now tell me…
Is it HARD WORK or LAZY WORK?
tell me…

Tomorrow there will be no weight training, because my trainer has a Football game to coach for the school. But I will continue Monday

what’s your diet look like?

To be honest it isn’t good at all especially lately. I don’t have much knowledge about Diet. All I know of is eat veggies a lot, and eat salads, and cut off Soda.

Lately my diet has been horrible…3 days this week of eating unhealthy coliseum food from the A’s game. Other than that I drink a lot of water, most of my meals I drink water. Every school day my lunch is a sandwich, with turkey ham, lettuce, cheese, mayo, mustard, and pickles, that every day because my school serves unhealthy food everyday. On some occasions I will eat the cafeteria foods only one day a week. And maybe one day switch to the Peanut Butter and jelly sandwich, but I always drink water with it. I eat a lot of fruit too. Every day with lunch, I carry with me tupperware full of fruit, (Pineapple, watermelon, apples, grapes) Mostly is what I eat.

At home, I don’t eat as healthy, I usually eat a lot of beans and a couple tortillas, and rice. Since I am hispanic. At night, I don’t eat healthy either. I usually eat cereal of Wheaties, Special K, sometimes fruit loops and the unhealthy cereal. Or sometimes just a glass of milk with PBJ sandwich.

In the morning sometimes I eat two eggs with bacon and ham, sometimes I eat a bacon and egg muffin (Bacon, Eggs inside two buns of sliced bread, with ham and ketchup) With orange juice…

Another day I would eat Oatmeal cereal thing, with two toast. and a Small cup of Orange Juice.

Another day I would eat 2 waffles with syrup and butter along with glass of milk for breakfast.

ok that’s what I was expecting you to say.

try to pack your lunch and not buy cafeteria food. Drop the bacon, soda, egg yolks and stuff like that for good.

also check out johnberardi.com for some good information. You should drink a protein shake or two a day as a substitute for some of that crap.

Aite Lanky, I feel u…what should I include and substitute for eggs and bacon?

egg whites and protein shakes are a couple options

ok

Finnally posting again…I’ve been too lazy to post this week so today is my off day so I have time today…

MONDAY:
Lower Body Day

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 275 lbs. Max 215 Min.

(Back-to-Back)
Leg Press: 4x12

Hack Squats: 4x12 (280lbs.)

ABS:
Ab Torture Test…(explained in a post before)

TUESDAY:
Upper Body Day

Machine Workout (Machine in the Pic below) idk what the workout is called but: 12-10-8-6 (Reps) each set increasing weight. First Pull Down, Then Have hands at 90 degrees and pull on the bar down. same thing (12-10-8-6)
Back2back with 10lbs of shoulder raises on a incline bench working back shoulder muscles, then back2back with straight shoulder raises standing up Like this:

10lbs. 4x12

and then…
ABS Torture Test…

WEDNESDAY:
All Running Day

I did a lot of drills requiring running I don’t know what the drills are called, but I’ll try and explain.

I was in the Basketball Gym running…

First I holded 5lbs dumbells on each hand, then ran really fast but stayed in the same place, kinda like those things a football player does then drop down then run fast in the same place again. Except I didn’t drop, I ran like that for 12 seconds, then sprinted to the half court line. Rested for 15 sec.
Then did it again for 5 sets.

Got a 1:30 min. rest then…
In athletic position on one end of the court with a medicine ball about 20 ft. away from me. I acted like I was stealing a base, sprinted to the ball, grabbed it then squated and threw it as hard as I can towards the wall then sprinted to the other end, and then took my lead there and sprinted to the other end were the Ball was, did the same thing, (Threw it to the wall) and sprinted to finish, This was one set. I had to do 5, with 30 sec. rest

then…went to the bleachers, with the medicine ball, I grabbed it, and I had to slam it as hard as I could down to the ground, 6 times, then took the ball with my trainer, I had to jump up the bleachers with to legs and throw the ball to my trainer to his chest right at the same time I jumped up. It was kinda hard, but I did it…I threw it/jumped all the way up the bleachers for about almost done, then ran up the rest…This was 1, I did 5 sets.

Got a 3 minute rest…I was out of breath.

Then Box Hops, I had to jump side to side of the box 6 times on each side, 5 sets of those.

The Ultimate finally…

For the minutes straight, no rest this is what I had to do…

Standing on one side of the court, with the box hop thing about 15 ft. away, I had to sprint to the box, hop side to side 3 times, sprint to about 3/4 the court (Free Throw Line on the other side), Hit 5 pushups, then sprint to the end…then Vice-Versa all the way back for 3 minutes straight, carrying 5 lbs. dumb bells

That was it for that day. I was really tired

THURSDAY:
Lower Body…
I was already sore from the legs.

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 Max(285)

Hack Squat: 4x12 (280)
back2back
Box Hops: 4x6

Deadlift: 4x10
back2back
Ankle Hops: 4x12

On the last set I did an extra, just so my legs can burn more, because that’s what I like :wink:

And now today on a good week, My friday is my rest. And that’s exactly what I’m doing…because my legs are really sore, but that’s a good thing :wink:

I suggest bumping your 10lb shoulder raises down to 5lb. Even MLB pitchers just use 5-6 lbs with those shoulder raises. Using lighter weight really targets the rotator cuff, as opposed to the heavier 10 lb weights, which turn the exercises more into a shoulder workout. Remember, Jobes is for the rotator cuff. That’s what we really want to target as pitchers in the weight room.

Keep working hard. You’re doing n excellent job!

[quote=“Steven Ellis”]I suggest bumping your 10lb shoulder raises down to 5lb. Even MLB pitchers just use 5-6 lbs with those shoulder raises. Using lighter weight really targets the rotator cuff, as opposed to the heavier 10 lb weights, which turn the exercises more into a shoulder workout. Remember, Jobes is for the rotator cuff. That’s what we really want to target as pitchers in the weight room.

Keep working hard. You’re doing n excellent job![/quote]

Other than that you think I’m working hard?

Finnally posting again…I’ve been too busy to post this week, again.

This was all past weeks workout

MONDAY:
Lower Body Day

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 275 lbs. Max 215 Min.

(Back-to-Back)

Hack Squats: 4x12 (280lbs.)

ABS:
Ab Torture Test…(explained in a post before)

TUESDAY:
Upper Body Day

Machine Workout (Machine in the Pic below) idk what the workout is called but: 12-10-8-6 (Reps) each set increasing weight. First Pull Down, Then Have hands at 90 degrees and pull on the bar down. same thing (12-10-8-6)
Back2back with 5lbs of shoulder raises on a incline bench working back shoulder muscles, then back2back with straight shoulder raises standing up
5lbs. 4x12

and then…
ABS Torture Test…

WEDNESDAY:
All Running Day

In the basketball court, ran to half court each side like i was stealing a base, 2x10
Ran the bleachers, I had to hop onto the first one then run up
4x5, then with one leg hop up and run up 4x5 on those

THURSDAY:
Lower Body…
I was already sore from the legs.

Squat: 5-4-3-2-1 Max(285)

Hack Squat: 4x12 (280)
back2back

Deadlift: 4x10
back2back
Ankle Hops: 4x12

MONDAY Oct. 5 2009:

Upperbody day-

Bench Press: 5-4-3-2-1 (160 lbs. MAX)

Arm Machine Workouts…12-10-8-6 (3 Separate Workouts with 2 different machines ) Idk what the workout is called

Laying on a bench head down, shoulder/back raises 10lbs. 4x12

Arm Curls: 12-10-8-6

ABS TORTURE TEST…and thats it for the day

TUESDAY Oct. 6 2009:

Lower body day -

Squats: 5-4-3-2-1 (Max. 305 lbs.)

Single Leg Deadlift: (85lbs.) 4x12

Hack Squat: 4x12 (300 lbs.)
back2back

then the good ol’ AB TORTURE TEST

WEDNESDAY October 7, 2009:

Upper Body-

Bench: 5-4-3-2-1 (Max. 155 lbs.)

Fly Machine: 4x12 (Level 7)
back2back w/
Perfect Pushups: 25-20-15-10

Row Machine: 12-10-8-6 (Levels 6-8-9-10)

Back & Arm Machine:
-Curl Down 12-10-8-6 (Levels 5-6-7-8)
-Pull Down 12-10-8-6 (Levels 5-6-7-8)

then the AB TORTURE TEST

THURSDAY October 8, 2009

Lower Body:

Squats: 5-4-3-2-1 (Max 305 lbs.)

Leg Press: 4x12 (Level 12)

Single Leg Deadlift: 4x12 (115 lbs.)

Hack Squats: 4x12 (300 lbs.)
back2back w/

Bike Machine: 30 sec. on level 9 (4 sets)

Then I threw (Long Toss) with my catcher, for the first time in almost 2 months. It felt so good. I felt a little rusty, and felt weird throwing again, but I’m guessing that’s normal. I was launching the ball with not much effort. That’s a good sign of me being stronger. Not really any pain I can speak of, but it just felt weird. On some throws I threw over the head of my catcher. Overall I think it was a good day.
Wacha think? :wink:

FRIDAY:

woaaah After yesterday throwing I woke up with a sore shoulder only no sore elbow. Is that normal? After training and a stronger shoulder? Im just wondering

TUESDAY October 13, 2009

Upper Body-

Bench: 5-4-3-2-1 (Max 155lbs.)

Row Machine: 12-10-8-6 (levels 6-8-10-12)

Back & Arm Machine:
-Curl Down 12-10-8-6 (Levels 5-6-7-8 )
-Pull Down 12-10-8-6 (Levels 5-6-7-8 )

Fly Machine: 4x12 (Level 7)

AB Workouts (AB TORTURE TEST)