My Workout

I’ve made up a workout so that I can gain some velocity on my pitches. I’ve put in exercises that I felt target areas that help create power (legs, abs, shoulders etc).

Please give your feeedback and if there are any other exercises which I have not included that would help please post them. I have yet to split them up into a 2 day split.

So far I have:

-Squats 3 sets of 10
-Lunges 3 sets of 10
-Leg Press 3 sets of 10
-Calf raises 3 sets of 10
-Squat Jump 3 sets of 10
-Box Jump (forward and lateral, alternating) 3 sets of 10
-Sit ups (normal and decline, alternating) 3 sets of 15
-Med Ball Shoulder Toss 3 sets of 10
-Military Press 3 sets of 10
-Single Arm Row 3 sets of 10
-Tricep Pulldown 3 sets of 10
-Tricep Kickbacks 3 sets of 10
-Rotator Cuff 3 sets of 10
-Preacher Curl 3 sets of 10
-Seated Row 3 sets of 10
-Prone Row 3 sets of 10
-Shoulder Raises 3 sets of 10
-Deadlift (not the olympic one) 3 sets of 10
-Push ups (regular and one I’ve started doing my holding a small workout ball in each hand and balacing on those) 3 sets of 20
-Med Ball Twists 3 sets of 15
-Med Ball Chest Pass 3 sets of 10
-Abdominal Twist (lol that’s what I call it) using the cable machine grab the handle with both hands and rotate your hips, done both ways. 3 sets of 10

also a 10-15 jog prior to working out to get the heart rate up or if outside run 3-4 sets of W’s.

I’m thinking of doing 1 workout one day then throwing the next then the other workout the day after. Ex: Day 1 workout on Monday, throw Tuesday, Day 2 workout Wed, throw Thurs, Day 1 workout Fri.

On days which I am throwing I plan to do as follow:
Run 2 poles to get my heart rate up
Stretch
Warm up (lunges, butt kicks, leg kicks, knee raises, karioke(sp?) etc)
Start throwing and move back 5-10 feet every 5 or so throws so I end up long tossing at about 250-275 feet.

I plan on doing a split with my throwing days as well. Long Toss the one day, and pitching off a mound, if available, if not then flat ground. Using a weighted ball prior to throwing off the mound for 10-15 throws.

Then run 2 poles after throwing then warm down. Then ice for 15minutes, then heat for 15minutes.

Any feedback is appreciated. Anything useful that can be added please let me know and if anything does not belong let me know as well.

Thanks.

[quote=“canadiankid”]
-Squats 3 sets of 10
-Lunges 3 sets of 10
-Leg Press 3 sets of 10
-Calf raises 3 sets of 10
-Squat Jump 3 sets of 10
-Box Jump (forward and lateral, alternating) 3 sets of 10
-Sit ups (normal and decline, alternating) 3 sets of 15
-Med Ball Shoulder Toss 3 sets of 10
-Military Press 3 sets of 10
-Single Arm Row 3 sets of 10
-Tricep Pulldown 3 sets of 10
-Tricep Kickbacks 3 sets of 10
-Rotator Cuff 3 sets of 10
-Preacher Curl 3 sets of 10
-Seated Row 3 sets of 10
-Prone Row 3 sets of 10
-Shoulder Raises 3 sets of 10
-Deadlift (not the olympic one) 3 sets of 10
-Push ups (regular and one I’ve started doing my holding a small workout ball in each hand and balacing on those) 3 sets of 20
-Med Ball Twists 3 sets of 15
-Med Ball Chest Pass 3 sets of 10
-Abdominal Twist (lol that’s what I call it) using the cable machine grab the handle with both hands and rotate your hips, done both ways. 3 sets of 10[/quote]
I put the ones I’d use in bold. The omissions that I would add to your list would be:
Pullups
Inverted rows
Dips
and maybe some type of hang clean or high pull if you are an experienced lifter.

For program design, 24-32 total working sets is what you are looking for.

What exactly are inverted row, hang clean and high pull?

As regards to a diet, what types of foods should I incorporate? What food groups and how much of each?

Inverted Row - http://www.trinewbies.com/StrengthTraining/strength_training2.asp

High Pull - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HighPull.html

Hang Clean - http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/OlympicLifts/HangClean.html

Got it. Thanks a lot.

hey kc whats the bent over row… i think i have an idea about it … is it when u get into like a squat form kinda but real low and bring the bar up from the ground to like ur chest… so it works the bi’s too?

Ya that’s pretty much it. You bend over, but keep your head up so your posture is correct and pretty much bring the bar to your chest, like prone rows.

thanks man… for the high pulls i use 2 do em wherei was standing up like normal up straight and had liek a barbell or w/e a bar… and jus pulled it up straight…

That sounds like an upright row.
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidLateral/BBUprightRow.html

As far as bent over rows, they look like this: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/BBBentOverRow.html
I agree with the suggestion to keep your head up to prevent the lower back from rounding.

do upright rows and high pulls do the same thing… yeha i used 2 do those bent over rows b4

High Pulls work almost all of the body and trains explosiveness. Much more effective for performance.

Kc I got another ?.. will the workout like make me more cut or jus like stronger and bigger or both cuz i do lke 5 sets of w/e stead of 3-4

Being cut has to do with bodyfat. If you look at an NFL lineman, very few look cut, even though they have huge muscles. You can drop bodyfat with high intensity cardio and diet (but you dont need to go too low as an athlete).

But you should definitely gain more lean muscle mass if you follow a good program. If your nutrition and cardio is in order you should get visible gains.

hey another question haha… i was doing dead lifts today and a guy at the gym came up 2 me and showed me how 2 do em with better form…is there any subsitution for dead lifts? i think at the gym we have like a machine called lower back extension when ur sitting down and u lean backwards and u can adjust the weight n stuff

Deadlifts are one of the best exercises you can do for hamstring and lower back/ core strength. Machines are not even close.