My workout- Steve

Any comments appreciated, especially from Steve…

Mon- Bench, lat pulldowns, db shoulder press, triceps, biceps, forearm roller, rotator cuff, medicine ball

Tues&Fri - Squat, leg curls/exts, toe raises (planning on starting lunges soon)

Thurs- DB bench, shoulder press, lats, trceps, rotator cuff, med ball, forearm roller

On Mondays and Thursdays I do diff lifts for lats and triceps

Wednesday is my main running day.

I take Whey only after lifting

And I need more help on what to do for my core.

BTW, I’m 15, 5’6-5’7, 135-140 lbs

You have to be more specific in what exercises you’re doing?

Lat pulldowns are pretty good, but I’d switch them out with pullups/chins.

Maybe do incline bench one day, and flat bench the other day, or do them with db, it’s up to you.

As an athlete, I don’t see the need for extensions/leg curls.

SLDL, or even deadlift, imo, would be a better substitute.

Glute Ham Raises are also pretty killer, and would better substitute leg curls.

How many reps/sets are you looking to do?

Some studies have shown leg extensions to put excessive stress on your ACL and are overall, bad for your knees. As an athlete you don’t need them anyways.

As far as leg curls, I don’t have a problem with them but, if you can do any of the following, these are much better:
Stiff leg deadlift
Glute ham raise
Reverse hyper.
Those will give you better results as they work the attachment of the hamstring in both the knee and glutes, leg curls only work attachment of the hamstrings at the knee.

Definately get those lunges in. I feel that single leg work as most of the time during running you are only on one leg.

For your squats, make sure you are getting the top of your thighs parallel to the floor. Numbers are relative, you will be much happier down the road if you squat deeper now, even though you may know some kids that say they squat big, when they are actually barely squatting down at all.
Deeper squats=more flexibility

For your shoulder press, here’s an excercise that I prefer over it, and feel it’s much more athletic.

http://paws.wcu.edu/tjacobi/Weight%20Lifting%20Descriptions/Ground%20Based%20Explosive%20Movements/push%20press%20front.htm

It’s called the push press and involves triple extension of the legs, and an explosive shoulder press.

Finally

For core, my favorite exercise has to be russian twists.

Also, these can be done, with no added weight, holding a weight plate, a medicine ball. Or the killer way, standing holding a barbell.

(image from defrancotraining.com which is a brilliant site btw)

I thiought leg extensions help the knee :frowning: Thanks, I guess I’ll stop those

I do something similar to push presses, but I’ll do those too. I was told to do different versions of excercises if you do the same muscle group during the week.

Are glute ham raises body weight? I think I know what they are then.

I’ll have to do those russian twists, they look like they work. I also do planks/side planks, supermans, leg lifts and crunches.

And should I do power/hang cleans and jerks? I was holding off on them because I strained my achilles at football.

Thanks for the replies

Quote from link: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1306675

Here’s a quote from the article: Chow (1999) examined patellar ligament, quadriceps tendon, and patellofemoral and tibiofemoral forces at different speeds of leg extensions execution. Tibiofemoral shear forces showed that the ACL was loaded throughout the ROM — not exactly what you want (passive restraints doing the work for active restraints).

In layman’s terms, your ACL isn’t intended to be the primary force generator, and in situations it is the primary mover, with the quad not doing most of the work.

I’m in between on the clean and jerk.

Personally I don’t do it, because I only push press far less than I can clean, so basically, I can’t improve both while doing one movement.

This is why I do cleans, and push press separately, still the same movements.

I like power cleans a lot, they’re great for explosive power.

As far as hang cleans, I’ve heard mixed opinions, maybe someone else can comment on that.

Make sure that achilles is healed up, once you injure a ligament/tendon, it’s much easier to re-injure it for some time, as it takes a very long time to completely heal, although it is perfectly usable long before that.

Glute ham raises are generally bodyweight, for a while most people can do them completely, so you can aid yourself with a little push up off of the ground. Also, you’ll want to put a pad under your knees, and you’ll need someone or something to hold your feet.
http://paws.wcu.edu/tjacobi/Weight%20Lifting%20Descriptions/Lower%20Body%20Movements/Posterior%20Chain%20Movements.htm

Different versions of exercise is a good method. The key is not to get into doing th same thing for weeks at a time. Consequently you’ll find yourself using the same amount of weight for weeks at a time, which is not good.

For instance, once in a while I’ll super set push press and pull-ups. That is one shockingly hard thing to do.

Supersets, reps/set changes, exercise changes, all great ways to mix up a workout.

All this talk about mixing stuff up I should note: Always go into a workout with a plan, although you can tweak it as you go, your best results will be if you’ve layed out your workout before hand.

-Edited some obvious grammar/spelling mistakes

yeah, i’ll screw the extensions then.

I’ve done all 3 versions so far, just not a set place in my workout. I cant do a lot of weight for them because my barbell only goes up so far. I have good form though. So I should just do Power Cleans?

The standing twists with the barbell are often called full contact twists. Just a little trivia for ya. :wink:

While the leg extensions and curls aren’t as pitcher specific an exercise as the lunge, step-up, lower-body plyometric jumps, trunk twists, etc., I still did them all them time. It’s up to you and I know that you’re getting some good advice from the other members here. But in college and pro ball, leg extensions and leg curls WILL be apart of your workout routines. Just FYI.

Additional notes: I didn’t do straight db shoulder presses. I tended to keep all shoulder exercises lightweight and not above the head (with the exception of some triceps exercises and the bicep curl to press once a week).

Def get those walking lunges in. Can use straight bar and do them in place or grab some dumbbells and walk, if you have the space at your gym. Do them forward and backward.

Planks and Swiss ball core exercises are standard pro pitcher core exercises. I’ll try to find some pics of “planks.” Swiss ball stuff is all over the place. Try performbetter.com and search “Swiss ball.”

Best.

Thanks for the reply…

I was never sure on them. Mike Griffen told me not to because it serves no function. I only did them because someone told me they were GOOD for the knees :lol: I did them when I worked out with the football team too.

I also wasn’t sure on shoulders. I do the rotator cuff and shoulder work you have on the site w/3lb dumbells. I do that with the medicine ball. Should I seperate those?

Also w/ the med ball, I do overhead, chest push, and underhand; 1 set foward, 1 set from the side and then i throw. I don’t want to be stupid, so is this also okay?

Thanks

You shouldent be doing regular bench press unless you only go down to 90 degrees. Going lower than 90 degrees can stretch the ligaments in your shoulders, which puts stress on them and can lead to injury. DB bench alot better to do because it is a more natural movement, just remember to only go down to 90 degrees because going down any further can still put unwanted stress on the ligaments and joints.

i’ve heard that.

Anyone else concur?

I’m totally undecided on the proper depth of benching.

Now, I am against a pitcher trying to put up maxes like a power lifter on bench press.

I’ve seen a study showing bench pressing as a more effective velocity gainer than medicine ball work.
Yet, I do think the shoulder is put an an extremely stressful angle.

I realize I don’t have a concise answer. How bout a mid point, 15 reps on a stability ball, full range of motion.

But seriously, I’m not sure, the problem I see with benching only part way down, is that limiting the range of motion can in time hurt one’s flexibility.

If your form is good and you are using a weight you can handle it shouldnt be a problem. It’s basically the same thing as butt-to-heel squats, which have been labelled as bad for the knees. Anything can be bad for you if you cant control the weight.

If you want to be really safe, follow up a set of 90 degree benching with a set of 3 chair pushups. One hand on each chair and both feet on one chair, then complete a deep movement and stretch out the pec and shoulder muscles.