My weight training program

hey, iwas hoping u cud comment on my work out regiment as well. I lift 3 times a week, Monday, wednesday nd friday

Squat
Shoulder Press
Leg Extensions
Wrist curls
Calves (or however u spell it)
triceps
seated row
lower back
lat pull downs
biceps

please let me know if I should add stuff or take away excercies

so, I’m assuming you do upperbody monday and friday, and legs wednesday, or do you do total body 3 times a week…??? You could add leg curls, and lunges to your routine.

Hmm, shoulder press seems like it would be harmful for a pitcher to do…??? But, ehh, I may be wrong. Check out Steve’s website, and add his rotator cuff exercises to your routine.

Also, what sort of ab work are you doing?

wait, I actually do the shoulder press, but with 5lb dumbells… So ignore what I said, lol…

Here’s a typical leg workout I’ll do… I warm up by playing a little basketball, well, because I like playing basketball… I’m not a fan of running on tread mills, so I play basketball instead for 5-10 minutes to get my heart rate up… Do some light stretching… Leg curls, about 4-5 sets, last set I do one legged leg curls… Then I go on to leg extensions, about 4-5 sets, last set, I do one legged leg extensions. I go till I burn out basically… Then I’ll go on to squats, 4-5 sets… Then calf raises 3-4 sets… Also, I do another calf exercises, but I can’t remember the name, sry… But I do that one 3-4 sets… Then I do core work at the end of the workout… I lift legs twice a week, but I don’t do the same thing on both days. As you can see, I don’t do the deadlift, although, I’ve done it in the past, and will probably incorporate it into my routine in a few weeks. I also do lunges, 3-4 sets. Then, most imporantly, I stretch after my workout for a good 10-15 minutes. After stretching, about 30 minutes later, I have my protein shake.

thanks

[quote=“chachi”]hey, iwas hoping u cud comment on my work out regiment as well. I lift 3 times a week, Monday, wednesday nd friday

Squat
Shoulder Press
Leg Extensions
Wrist curls
Calves (or however u spell it)
triceps
seated row
lower back
lat pull downs
biceps

please let me know if I should add stuff or take away excercies[/quote]

I think you should do maybe 6 days a week. For example
Monday - Upper body (Triceps, biceps , shoulders , rotators , ext. )
Teusday-abs/cardio (abs,obliques,sprints, exercise bike ,ext.)
Wednsday -legs( squats,dead lifts,knees,shin,hamstring,calves,quads ext )
Thursday -Upper body (Triceps, biceps , shoulders , rotators , ext. )
Friday -abs/cardio (abs,obliques,sprints, exercise bike ,ext.)
Saturday -legs( squats,dead lifts,knees,shin,hamstring,calves,quads ext )
Sunday -alittle bit of everything or nothing

wats a good shin excercise? and a hamstring excercise

shin??? Leg curls are a good hamstring exercise. Your leg workouts should consist of leg extensions, leg curls, squats, and calf work: followed by ab work. Do not work your abs before you do your leg workout. Do it afterwards.

You can also do hack squats if your gym has one.

Lunges are an exercise you can do, too. I would lift 4-5 times a week, allowing two days rest. Rotator cuff: 3 times a week.

If you lift your legs hard enough on the first day, 2 days rest will not be enough time to recuperate… I would lift them one day a week. And maybe do more plyometric type stuff the second day of lifting; that’s if you decide to lift your legs twice a week. Just make sure to stretch lightly before lifthing your legs, and stretch after your workout.

for your shins do reverse calf raises (raise your toes instead of heel) or go to
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/drryan1.htm
it has exercises for shin splints but even if you don’t it is still an excellent way to strengthen them

Exercises like leg extensions, leg curls, and hack squats are all done on machines and are not the most productive exercises. Ground based free weight exercises should be your focus and most of your time and energy should be spent doing them.

[quote=“lbarber4”]
Hmm, shoulder press seems like it would be harmful for a pitcher to do…??? ?[/quote]

it’s less stressful on your RC if you hold the DB parallel to your head instead of perpendicular which is how majority of the “how to” pictures show you how to do the exercise

i generally prefer free weight exercises, but i always get a great burn from both extensions and curls…so i wouldn’t tell anyone to stray away from those

i personally split up my hamstring and quad days by someone elses recommendation…so i do the extensions in the same day as i would squats or leg press or whatever i have planned for that day…and i will generally do the machine exercises AFTER the free weights to squeeze whatever juice i have left out of my legs

I like barbell good mornings

u can also do straight legged dead lifts but you may hurt yourself without the proper form so unless you have someone to teach you i wouldn’t necessarilly recommend those

dont forget the dumb bell bench, it works the connecters :smiley: