My Splitter

my splitter works great and everything, but like ryan dempster with his splitter the batters could see his glove bulge when he was gripping it. It made his splitter really predictable. i kinda have the same problem. well when i throw it, after i release the ball my finger makes a snap like im snapping my fingers and its loud too. it pretty much tells the batter im throwing it, and i usually throw it in the dirt when im ahead in the count for a strike out pitch. so they usually just watch it now and 9 times outta 10 its a ball so its gone unefective or they sit on it and crank it. does anyone know why this is happening or if theres anything i can do to hide this or somthing?

Jason, I think you must be showing it in some other way. Think about it, the reaction to the snap is just too quick after the ball leaves your hand (Try it yourself). My guess is that you’ve either become too predictable with it or are showing the pitch in your early wind-up. Do you grip every pitch originally with it? Then when it goes to your glove you adjust to which ever pitch you are really throwing? Try to throw for example a fastball up and in in counts where you used to throw Mr. Splitty…don’t let them anticipate on you…or if they do make em pay.

I agree with jd, Jason.

I’m not really sure why your fingers would ‘snap’ after releasing a splitter but regardless, after release it’s too late for the hitter to pick up any useful audible information.

My son also throws the splitter and he was definitely giving a ‘tell’ early on: He always had the ball in a standard 4-seam grip while he was taking signs from the catcher, then he would change his grip in the glove to whatever pitch was called for. When he was adjusting to throw the splitter it was very obvious–especially after an opposing coach was kind enough to mention it to me after we had completed a game against his team. This was a few years ago at Majors LL level, and the advice was very much appreciated.

So, now he takes all his signs with the ball in a splitter grip. In his glove he adjusts to whatever pitch has been called from the splitter grip–if the splitter is called for, he sometimes makes a false “adjustment” in his glove and sometimes he doesn’t.

When he realized that opposing hitters and coaches were looking closely to pick up clues about what pitch might be coming next, he started having some fun with that.

Throw it for a strike. That’s what makes the difference. Everyone can throw a curveball, but to hit the zone is different. If they think it’s going in the dirt, throw it knee level instead. After they start realizing they are contending with a legitimate pitch, then toss it back in the dirt. Pitching vertically is just as important as pitching laterally, IMO.

yea, atm im trying to learn how to throw it for a strike and locate it in the zone better.