Daily exercises:
30 pushups
30 situps
30 lunges
30 jumpups (2’6" box)
4 poles
8 60’ sprints

Daily baseball specific drills:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday-long toss, 40 pitch bullpen, popup drill(Wednesday 30min pitching lesson no additional work)

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday-batting, fielding, dumbell work for Rototar Cuff

Pitching Lob? His speeds don’t seem that slow :smiley:

I think you may want to edit it to Pitching Log :wink:

Thanks for your help

No problem. The two things that jump out at me are the mph differences between 4 seam and 2 seam. Generally it’s 2-3 mph.

The difference between change up and fastball, while it may be successful in the 9-10 yr old age group, it’s almost too much–in my opinion. Anything 6-8 mph is significant to a hitter. It’s harder to time medium range mph variation than it is to judge high mph variation.

For example, it’s harder to hit a change up that is 8 mph slower than the fastball compared with hitting a change up that is 12-15 mph slower. Even worse at older ages if you can’t throw the really slow one for strikes because there is so much difference, hitters will identify it and let it go harmlessly past and sit on your fastball.

Thanks Coach we are trying to find the best changeup for him we are working on a three finger one now

Today was a light throwing day
Bullpen:
6- 4 seam fastballs
6-2 seam fastballs
6- Changeups

6 simulated batters
Had controll issues for the last 3 batters
Good velocity on fastball
Nice movement on 2 seam

You have had a radar gun on a 9 y/o - that is crazy!

Cheslin,

Don’t you think that’s a lot of structured work, 6 days a week, for a 9 year old?

9 seems a bit young for dumbell rotator cuff work. Why do you feel this is necessary for your son?

Kyle-
It is crazy but where he goes for pitching lessons they record his results when he first started and in six months they will do it again to compare and see where we are.

Turn it is a lot of structure but if I don’t he will do stuff on his own. And I would rather him do the right things. And the Rotator Cuff exercises are from his orthopedic because he throws harder than his slight frame could handle. So it was prescribed it do strengthening exercise to make the other muscles stronger.

Easy day today :
60 ground balls
75 balls in batting cage
10 minutes working on mechanics

Ok

Hi Cheslin,

Sometimes with Little League parents/coaches there is a fine line you need to walk with kids this young. I am not going to presume to tell you how you should or shouldn’t train you son. That is up to you. But, I do get a little quesy when I see parents putting radar guns on 9 year olds. Its a little much.

I will tell you that one reason that 8,9, or 10 year old superstars flame out by High School is for 2 reasons. One is overruse. The typical 9 year old stud ends up playing LL, LL allstars, AAU, Travel, etc etc etc. In addition, they get “encouraged” into playing and throwing year round. Parents and coaches tend to believe more is best and they are dead wrong. These kids end up in the care of an orthopedic surgeon by HS.

The second issue to be aware of is puberty. It is a great equalizer. Small kids get big, big kids become small. The 9 year old superstar is washed up 14. And the 9 year old dork who was afraid of the ball, is Johnny Heisman and gets the girls. Don’t take it too seriously, have fun, and spend some time with your kid. Everything else is gravy.

Doc, you need to post your comments regarding 9-year-olds and radar guns in the “Youth Pitching” section as well so everybody concerned with this aspect can read it…and re-read it. This is too important to be shoved back to page nine or wherever. I agree with you 100% that this is too much! Radar guns? Pushing a kid that age? This is the kind of thing that often causes kids to give up on the game because all the fun has been taken out of it, not to mention the increased risk of injury—and for what? (shakes head in complete disgust)

Zita, you came up with a 3rd reason. Thank you. How many parents and coaches have ever asked their kid

“Hey, what ever happened to so and so, he used to be unbelievable when he was 11 or 12?”

“Oh yeah he gave up baseball and plays lacrosse now”

Doc,Zito
This might seem too much to you. But he is not one of these kids that play year around he plays football so for five months he doesn’t even pick up a baseball. This is before the season starts so he won’t get hurt to strength up his baseball muscle and to regain flexabilty.

I am with you guys I don’t want the best 9 year old I want him to be the best he can be at 17-18.

[quote=“cheslin”]Doc,Zito
This might seem too much to you. But he is not one of these kids that play year around he plays football so for five months he doesn’t even pick up a baseball. This is before the season starts so he won’t get hurt to strength up his baseball muscle and to regain flexabilty.

I am with you guys I don’t want the best 9 year old I want him to be the best he can be at 17-18.[/quote]

Good to hear and good luck. There are certain endeavors where starting at an early age is clearly beneficial. For example someone who is gifted at music (Zita help me out!!!) would be well advised to develop that gift at an early age.

Just be mindful that starting at an early age at pitching is not necessarily a good thing. Its an athletic endeavor that can put a great deal of stress on a person physicallly. And you are dealing with kids that are not close to being fully matured.

I sometimes watch the LL World Series and see 11 or 12 year olds who throw 75 mph with an assortment of curves, sliders, and changeups. You often see an annoying parent or coach who thinks he’s grooming the kid for MLB. I just shake my head.

Yes, Doc, this would be one of those instances where starting early is a good idea. I don’t remember this, being just two years old, but my mother, who was a fine pianist, told me that I used to climb up on the bench and imitate every-thing she did on the keyboard. So I did start at an early age, and my mom gave me my first instruction on piano. :slight_smile:

And I’ll bet you never had to have Tommy John surgery! I can understand getting an early start as a positional player. Playing lots of different positions and playing for hours on end until it gets dark. Even throwing a lot is great. But, pitching too much too soon isn’t the best idea. And I think some youth pitching has gotten a little out of hand.

An orthopedic doctor prescribed dumbell rotator cuff work for a 9 year old?
Sorry, but IMO that’s way too young to be using any weights, especially for the rotator. His prepuberty muscular structure is not developed enough yet for those kind of stresses.