My recent pitching video!

I have been working on my mechanics. Can you see any problems? Can you also see what may cause elbow pain? In advance Thanks alot.

Emulating a pitcher with elbow problems may be a cause for elbow problems.

It also looks like you’re over-pronating (12 seconds). Yeah, that can be a problem too. If you freeze at 11-12 seconds, you can see that you’re pushing the ball.

Those seconds are kinda off sometimes…seems like there’s 2-3 frames for each second.

You should try to get a video off of a mound. I don’t think there’s any major problems that aren’t fixable.

You break your hands to high.

Too much “sit” going into footplant.

The amount of your pronation is fine. See Greinke in the photo below:

I do see “pushing” of the ball, and that’s due to the fact that when you land, your shoulders are almost square to the target. Also, not much separation.

You may have elbow pain from using “too much arm” to throw the ball.

It seems like you are thinking too much. I’d like to see a video of you throwing the crap out of the ball. I didn’t say pitching. Just “throwing the crap out of the ball”.

What do you mean by breaking his hands too high, and the sit going into footplant? By the latter, do you mean what guys like Francisco Rodriguez do?

How do i fix the “pushing the ball” and “sitting going into foot plant”. I know how to fix the breaking hands to early. Also what do you mean by “sitting” is that like not keeping a stiff front leg?

Not “stiff” Kaz, you never get out over it…looks like you’re trying to take a dump…it all stops, no momentum transfer…which will tend to strain your arm, try to pull yourself through and past …or at least up to the post foot. Maybe a tad less stride will be an interrum thing to get you to properly use the front side.

why do people put up these nice videos and just throw 1 pitch on it. please show more of these videos.

without reading the other posts in this thread kaz im going to do my best as to convey what these other people have probably already failed at trying to help you

they have all watched the video in full speed clicking and pointing at spots on the video on youtube to assess your motion

me on the other hand i have downloaded the video to my computer rendered it to an output file that is able to be played in quick time so i can look at it frame by frame…if i haven’t lost you now good you want to learn

first thing you need to do is to forget about taking the ball out with your hand and making that huge circle up…second thing you need to do is be productive with your lead arm right now its not doing anything for you

you maybe pushing the ball with is conducive to stress on the elbow i cant tell their seems to be a frame or 2 missing but such is life

if i were you I would personally look at the symmetry in which john smoltz, wagner, clemons uses with their arms right now you look nothing like that…

the 2nd thing I would do if I were you would be stop throwing off a mound because you’re never going to change how you throw…eliminate your lower body and throw with just your upper half, start their now worry about the lower half later…experiment with arm symmetry, rotating around the spine things like that…i see you have aim if you want to chat more please just let me know…

cliff notes:
not rotating shoulder, arms are not working in unison and frame count from hand break is bigger than the federal debt…

What an arrogent condescending thing to say…if you haven’t read them then how would you know one way or the other…for all you know they may have addressed the small suggestions you made…perhaps more meaningful things were offered, perhaps we disagree with you…what in the world gives you authority over or the ability to discern what is or isn’t good or bad…make your suggestions…keep your editorial.

What an arrogent condescending thing to say…if you haven’t read them then how would you know one way or the other…for all you know they may have addressed the small suggestions you made…perhaps more meaningful things were offered, perhaps we disagree with you…what in the world gives you authority over or the ability to discern what is or isn’t good or bad…make your suggestions…keep your editorial.[/quote]

hey like it or not i am 100% dead on

my question to you is did you break his video down frame by frame or did you look at it full speed and just go ahead and base your so called pitching opinion from it.

also after posting i did read the posts…but one poster did get it right about his pushing the baseball so kudos to him!!

It’s not about whether or not you’re “dead on”. It’s about respect for others. Your condescending remarks were unnecessary and inappropriate. We do not tolerate behavior that might deter others - especially our youth members - from participating.

It’s not about whether or not you’re “dead on”. It’s about respect for others. Your condescending remarks were unnecessary and inappropriate. We do not tolerate behavior that might deter others - especially our youth members - from participating.[/quote]

im sorry roger

what are your thoughts on kaz’s mechanics then? if we want to turn this into a real discussion we can. This thread has been up and the only ones to post after my post are the admins telling me I cant come in here and give this kid good advice because peoples belief systems might get offended…

the bottom line is the kid wants to get better. as well as all the other fathers and sons in this forum that want to get better too…

Im here to help them whether or not they listen to me is up to them they can sift through all the nonsense for hours/days/ even years before they finally realize what works. I’m just trying to save them of all that time loss…

so again roger i ask you what do you think of this young mans mechanics?

Says you and who else?
You come on with no standing and abruptly spout this editorial drivel and expect we’ll just accept it? Why? Because you think that a frame by frame is the only analysis that counts? How arrogent…How many “professionals” don’t use frame by frame at all? How many do? You my friend are making huge leaps and assertions with no basis in fact to back it up. Simply putting me down doesn’t make you right…it makes you a jerk and very similar to some extremely distateful demigods who think their method is “The Only Method” hogwash!!! You won’t find acceptance nor tolerance of that here…Go start your own stinkin site and slam all you want…act like Nyman…or did he just kick you off and you had to find another outlet for your abusive ignorance and behavior?
So please oh knower of all pitching knowledge who is going to save the world from these neophytes take your stupid roadshow and find another place to oppress discussion.

I have a “So called opinion”? What an ignorant statement…you may not like my opinion…that is what it is…but who besides you and your mom cares?
How many pro’s do you have, D-1 players, college players, what sort of credential gives you the right to come on here acting in the way you are and not be challenged (Heres a hint…it wouldn’t matter if you had a whole team of MLB guys we wouldn’t take your crap)…You’ve said nothing revolutionary…nothing so perceptive that it couldn’t have been mentioned by subsequent posters…who “just looked at normal speed”…
You bet the Admins jumped your butt Mister, we would love to have you participate…we ain’t puttin up with this sort of garbage though whether you like it or not. AND no one…not one of us will miss your sorry a$$ when you take your smack another place.

This is going to sound like House, because I like the way House analyzes pitching motions and the consequences of certain mechanical issues.

(1) The pitcher’s head and center of gravity drop very precipitously during his stride forward. Instead, he should adopt a lower starting posture (i.e., with a “free-throw” amount of bend in his knees). Adopting a stable starting posture that the pitcher can maintain through to his release point will eliminate unnecessary north-south head movement and help him direct all of his momentum to the target.

(2) The pitcher delays the forward thrust of his leading hip until after his leg-lift is complete. This also delays generation of forward momentum to the target, and it requires that he generate that forward momentum from an unstable position (i.e., at point of highest center of mass in his motion, and poised on one leg). He might do better to commence his weight shift/hip thrust toward the target at the same time as he begins his leg lift.

(3) The video was not well-behaved during the extremely fast parts of the pitcher’s motion–the launch phase. Still, it appeared that the pitcher may have an issue with hip-shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation. Whether he has an issue there or not–the goal would be to get 40 to 60 degrees of separation between his hips (rotated open) and his shoulders (held closed) before allowing his shoulders to open toward the target.

(4) I couldn’t really see from the video whether the pitcher has a drag-line and this camera angle wouldn’t tell much anyway about it’s direction vis-a-vis the target.

(5) I very much appreciated the use of a tripod–it’s the only reliable way to catch untoward head motion.

1. I went back and looked again, the pitcher does have a dragline, his post foot appears to come up briefly and touch back down. The dragline might be a little short–House would suggest that it should have a length of around two of the individual pitcher’s shoe-lengths and should be directed toward the center of the target at the end.

2. Looks like the glove side is okay to me–the pitcher appears to stablize his glove out in front and bring his torso forward to the glove. Motion analysis of elite pitchers certainly suggests this is what he should be doing. Maybe need more video w/ 1st base perspective to best sort this out.

Says you and who else?
You come on with no standing and abruptly spout this editorial drivel and expect we’ll just accept it? Why? Because you think that a frame by frame is the only analysis that counts? How arrogent…How many “professionals” don’t use frame by frame at all? How many do? You my friend are making huge leaps and assertions with no basis in fact to back it up. Simply putting me down doesn’t make you right…it makes you a jerk and very similar to some extremely distateful demigods who think their method is “The Only Method” hogwash!!! You won’t find acceptance nor tolerance of that here…Go start your own stinkin site and slam all you want…act like Nyman…or did he just kick you off and you had to find another outlet for your abusive ignorance and behavior?
So please oh knower of all pitching knowledge who is going to save the world from these neophytes take your stupid roadshow and find another place to oppress discussion.

I have a “So called opinion”? What an ignorant statement…you may not like my opinion…that is what it is…but who besides you and your mom cares?
How many pro’s do you have, D-1 players, college players, what sort of credential gives you the right to come on here acting in the way you are and not be challenged (Heres a hint…it wouldn’t matter if you had a whole team of MLB guys we wouldn’t take your crap)…You’ve said nothing revolutionary…nothing so perceptive that it couldn’t have been mentioned by subsequent posters…who “just looked at normal speed”…
You bet the Admins jumped your butt Mister, we would love to have you participate…we ain’t puttin up with this sort of garbage though whether you like it or not. AND no one…not one of us will miss your sorry a$$ when you take your smack another place.[/quote]
GO JD! :smiley:

[quote=“obga18”]im sorry roger

what are your thoughts on kaz’s mechanics then? if we want to turn this into a real discussion we can. This thread has been up and the only ones to post after my post are the admins telling me I cant come in here and give this kid good advice because peoples belief systems might get offended…[/quote]
You are terribly mistaken. None of the admins have told you that you couldn’t give advice. What you were told is that the condescending editorial you mixed in with your advice was uncalled for and will not be tolerated.

Even in trying to defend your case you refer to other people’s posts as “nonsense”. You just don’t get it.

I’ve offered video analyses to many over the years. But, having been recently laid off, I have other priorities and demands on my time. That’s why I haven’t done many analyses lately. A decent anlysis takes some time and I won’t do an alayisis unless I can invest the time to do it carefully and thoroughly. Right now, it takes what time I can afford just to play admin.

[quote=“Roger”]You are terribly mistaken. None of the admins have told you that you couldn’t give advice. What you were told is that the condescending editorial you mixed in with your advice was uncalled for and will not be tolerated.[/quote]My sentiments exactly, Roger.

obga
What Roger said is all you really need to know at the moment. What you need to know about jd is that he’s 100% for the kids coming to this site and us providing them with a safe place to have discussions and, hopefully, find some help. He’s quite passionate about that, as is very obvious from his posts. It’s part of why he’s an admin.

Your knowledge may be there (I’ve seen your posts on other boards) but your method of delivery is very much like Nyman’s. You have something constructive to offer but you deliver it in that arrogant, condescending way that reduces anybody’s desire to take it seriously.

Nyman may respond to that by being quite proud of the “no nonsense” approach that cuts through the crap but there are many ways to get a point across. On this site, we choose a less “high and mighty” approach, a more diplomatic one. That’s our choice. It’s Steven’s choice. We admins just have bought into that program and that’s no doubt why Steven asked us to do this. It’s the style of this board, obga.

As I’ve said, I know your knowledge is high and we’d like you to stay and contribute for the sake of the kids. We just need the tone to align with the spirit of the board.

agreed.

I watched the video a few times, and my impression is that you’re not really engaging your core and instead throwing largely with the arm.

I’m a little concerned that when you are in the power T position that your elbow is above your shoulder line, and that your front foot is still a few frames from planting.

Then when the front foot literally stomps it appears your arm then is doing the rest of the work. You need instead your body to do the work so that your arm is along for the ride.

Further, I’m a little concerned your leg landing at a 90 degree angle. I used to do something like that, and when I did I felt that I was not throwing over the top of my front leg but instead forcing myself to move forward enough which resulted in more pressure on my elbow.

Maybe this helps, maybe it doesn’t. Good luck.