My program - plz critique

hey every one im 17 and was just wondering if any one can help me edit my program and tell me if i am doin too much/ not enough, thanks!

Monday

Warmup - jog, stretch, sprint, at the moment i just go straight into pitching (because of space that i can find) but would usually would throw 60 - 90 - 120 - full distance

Light bull pen - 30-40 pitches all 4seam fasts

Theraband

Tuesday
Warmup - jog, stretch, sprint, at the moment i just go straight into pitching (because of space that i can find) but would usually would throw 60 - 90 - 120 - full distance

Sprinting and endurance work

batting

wedneday

Light Bullpen - 30-40 pitches + and flatground drills

theraband

thursday

hitting

full bullpen - 50-65 pitches

5 x poles

friday
rest

saturday
game - sometimes benched

sunday
game (2/3 times)

does any one have any ideas on how i could improve it?

raiderbb i looked at your website is your winter strength in or out of season for weights? (you replied in a different forum? - the more opinions the better)

a couple of other questions:

i dont watch what i eat, should i be eating a certain way, does any one have a diet plan on what you should eat before and after you do certain training?

weights inseason? - i havnt started and am curious to if i should or not and what to do?

is their any thing that needs to be added or taken away? (eg. more cardio, more anaerobic execises, more strength training, more thrown?)

weight training should be done in the off season. During the season, light weight lifting should be done also, about 3-4 times a week. This is where you’ll be doing light shoulder work, back work, etc… Just to maintain strength and durability. I would lighten up on the cardio work because baseball requires quick movements, explosion. Although, you can still do it, just make sure you’re spending some doing sprint based drills. If you’re doing long toss, make sure you’re not lobbing the ball. Stand straight across from your partner, and slowly take steps back. Work on being accurate, and throw with precision. If you have to consitently lob the ball to him, then your too far away from your partner. Try not to elevate the ball past 10 ft. I think that’s the number, anyways… If you expect to play hard, and not tire out, dieting can be important. Don’t overoad on junk food and soda. Those will slow you down. Instead, focus on eating a good amount of carb based foods, and protein based foods.

When your hitting in the bull pen, try and visualize the pitch coming. Make counts up for you, say 0-2, or 2-0, 3-1, etc. Don’t just swing at everything, be patient, and explode into the ball. Find your hot spot, and when it comes to playing in a game, if that pitcher throws it there, explode at it.

Although, if your a pitcher, and from your post, you may be, cardio work can be great for you, don’t over do it though. It may help with your recovery time after pitching.

Mike Griffin may be able to help you out more with this. Maybe you could get in contact with him, and see if he can set you up a workout to do.

Wow, I just now noticed that you’re living in Australia… Anyways, since baseball should be going on for you right now, seeing how it is spring there, I would recommend doing light weight lifting 3 times during the week. Whether it’s monday-wednesday-friday. Basically this is for conditioning your arm, and maintaining your strength. Not only that, but since your 17, you’ll need to do exercises to maintain your rotator cuff. And instead of taking friday off, throw lightly on friday. Do about 2 bullpen sessions during the week to prepare for your weekend games.

Also, try and incorporate exercises that focus on developing your core muscles. I would proabably do this about 2-3 times a week. One of the goals that I had coming into the fall ball season was to try and get an 8 pack, and with hard work, I was able to accomplish that.

If you haven’t been lifting, you should wait until season is over. If you have been working out all offseason you should keep working out during the season. You will actually keep the intensity up but bring the volume down. Probably moderate to high intensity at moderate to low volume.

Its almost impossible to gain and maintain strength without working hard in the weight room. You may not want to start in the middle of a season but when the season is over, you better get to work.

does any one have a weight training program that i could use for the inseason?

i was doin weights during the offseason and have stopped for about 2 months, is that to long to get back in to it?

should i be makin any changes - lbarber the cardio i do is usually after throwing to get my crap out of my arm

If you haven’t lifted in 2 months you are probably going to be very sore and it will affect your baseball performance. At this point you might want to wait. If you get really tight from soreness you could increase the chance of injury and your mechanics will definitely be off. Taking that time off was a big mistake but picking it back up now might be another mistake. Probably not what you want to hear but you live and learn.

our program is out of season/preseason. i’ll post our inseason later.

ok ill wait until the offseason to begin weights.

What about throwing, ongtoss, bullpen, and cardio? is there enough? should i be doin more? should i change the days?

After the 91 world series the Minnesota Twins went way down hill and in 2000 they highered a physical trainer for the team in the off season. Working with all of them on the same program. The trainer told the team that baseball works all from your core of your body. He made them do intence ab work outs and back work outs.
So thats what I have been doing in the off season is a good ab work out and back work out and then using the theral band helps ALOT and light weight liftin in the upper body, and lower body as well along with long distance jogs and sprints.