My pitching mechanics.

Just wanted to get a video up on how i pitch, open to ALL comments. I was a little rushed making it so i didnt have full warm up time.

http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq122/shmeeeex/?action=view&current=MOV01873.flv][img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq122/shmeeeex/th_MOV01873.jpg[/img

A couple things.
1- on the third throw ( I think it was the third) i held the ball on the outside of the mitt because i had a ball in the glove.
2- All were 4 seam fastballs.
3- Last pitch was a curve

http://s440.photobucket.com/albums/qq122/shmeeeex/?action=view&current=MOV01874.flv][img]http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq122/shmeeeex/th_MOV01874.jpg[/img

Just a different view.

Like i said all help is appreciated.

Doesn’t look like you get much out of your lower half

EDIT: Also its better to use youtube vid on here. Welcome to the forums.

how should i get more out of my lower half?

and yeah i know i realized after i posted it, next time I’ll put it on throw youtube.

its very complicated so i’ll give ya the easy stuff. Bend at knee then push using that leg. keep body closed and arm loose. Remember just let your arm go along for the ride. maybe someone can give a better explanation or I will later when i have more time.

I’d really appreciate a deeper explanation. I threw a bullpen today and i tried to do what you said by bending the back leg and thrusting forward and i happened to lose all balance and my head was everywhere. Tips?

In the second clip you can see what I would consider to be problem number one. You are stepping WAY across your body which is causing your upper body to compensate by rotating the shoulders prematurely. This is putting loads of stress on your elbow and if you aren’t experiencing pain in the UCL (the medial part of the elbow) yet, I would say that it won’t be too long. There are other issue’s that I see, but I would work on that first. Fixing that may fix a number of other things and get your motion more in sync.

If I were you, I would paint a line down the center of your mound and force yourself to step to the left side of it for now. That is a bit of an over-correction, but I believe over-correcting it for drill purposes may make it feel more comfortable when you come back to center.

Hope this makes sense

What’s the hurry?

It seems like your major point of concentration just as you start your delivery is to quickly bend down… grab another ball … and go at it again.

A little easier on the follow through will help a lot. Start and complete your routine completely. Finish it. Don’t be so eager to start another display of your what your trying to show us.

A small point though - for now. In addtion to what’s been said, when you lift that stride leg … not so high up for now. Get accustomed to controling it better … like HasBeen08 suggested. Also, instead of pointing that toe of your stride foot up … try concetrating on pointing your stride foot toe down. In other words, go nice and easy with the leg lift and point you toe down towards the ground… not upward.

Welcome HasBeen08, and best wishes on your venture.

Coach B.

Thanks alot guys. I’ll start working on those things and post a video up in a week or 2. Still open to any other comments.

So i tried opening my stride up. But now when i step straight ( or possibly a little more to the left to get my head right) the ball just sails right. What am i doing wrong?

That is from opening your shoulders early. Since your so accustomed to throwing across your body your shoulders have to open up early in order to pull the into the strikezone. Now that your not as across your body, your shoulders are trying to open up at the same time they would before but now your release point is earlier causing the ball to go high and right. Basically, just try to stay closed longer.

UPDATE- So i’ve taken the things noted here and tried to put them into my mech the past 2 months, i wish i could throw more but i can only throw so much in 20 degree new york weather :smiley:

but i have 3 quick questions

1. I noticed on some posts some people bring up momentum. From what i read ( and if im wrong someone correct me) you have to start moving forward by the time your leg reaches the high point. I tried doing this and i felt like i was throwing half speed at 100% effort, and i was falling over my front foot. Is this right or am i doing something wrong?

2. Does it matter if during the stretch i hold my hands at chest level and break my hand straight back, or should it be waist height and break down there.

3. And the last question is how long should i stay closed roughly. It seems the longer i stay closed the more velocity i lose. Maybe im staying shut too long.

After i can get some answers with those il try to post a new video asap

Taking the set position with your hands around the letters will allow you to be quicker to the bases…

That makes sense.

slasherized,

From my observations …

1. When watching most Top Flight Starting Major League Pitchers, they maximize their linear rotation. Their Bodies move forward around the time their Glove Hand moves in front of their Glove Side Elbow. The more you build linear rotation and reduce your forward momentum, the more you’ll realize full speed with less effort.
    2. Again, supported by Top Flight Major League Pitching Videos, the higher you keep your Hands, the less likely you’re going to lose your Core … the less likely your going to lose the vertical axis around you want to revolve.
    3. The longer you keep your Hips closed, the more you’re going to use your Lower Body to generate the rotation addressed above.

My recommendation … Since people only do one thing at a time well, post another video. We’ll take a look to see what that one thing is you should focus on to give you the most improvement in the shortest time.

L.A. “Skip” Fast

[quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]When watching most Top Flight Starting Major League Pitchers, they maximize their linear rotation. Their Bodies move forward around the time their Glove Hand moves in front of their Glove Side Elbow.[/quote]This is very confusing. Can you show video or stills that illustrate this idea?

[quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]The more you build linear rotation and reduce your forward momentum, the more you’ll realize full speed with less effort.[/quote]Can you elaborate on how this is?

[quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]Again, supported by Top Flight Major League Pitching Videos, the higher you keep your Hands, the less likely you’re going to lose your Core … the less likely your going to lose the vertical axis around you want to revolve.[/quote]Another very confusing statement. Stills or video are required to illustrate. Also, where are these “Top Flight Major League Pitching Videos” you are referring to. Capitalizing the phrase like this implies something very official.

Also, we need to be all on the same page with respect to terminologies here. Your use of the word “core” seems to fit your own particular definition. Without a common understanding of the terms, messages won’t be received as intended. I also do not recommend that we redefine the term “core”.

Il take a vid as soon as the snow goes away on and around my mound 0_o

but can anyone answer those questions?

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]When watching most Top Flight Starting Major League Pitchers, they maximize their linear rotation. Their Bodies move forward around the time their Glove Hand moves in front of their Glove Side Elbow.[/quote]This is very confusing. Can you show video or stills that illustrate this idea?

[quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]The more you build linear rotation and reduce your forward momentum, the more you’ll realize full speed with less effort.[/quote]Can you elaborate on how this is?

[quote=“Professional Pitching Sol”]Again, supported by Top Flight Major League Pitching Videos, the higher you keep your Hands, the less likely you’re going to lose your Core … the less likely your going to lose the vertical axis around you want to revolve.[/quote]Another very confusing statement. Stills or video are required to illustrate. Also, where are these “Top Flight Major League Pitching Videos” you are referring to. Capitalizing the phrase like this implies something very official.

Also, we need to be all on the same page with respect to terminologies here. Your use of the word “core” seems to fit your own particular definition. Without a common understanding of the terms, messages won’t be received as intended. I also do not recommend that we redefine the term “core”.[/quote]

I think I know what he is saying

1. He wants him to start the hips going Fwd as the lead leg comes up and to close up.
    But as to the linear rotation, Not sure because you do not want to become to linear then you don’t have as much rotation.
    You want to have a little of both.
  2. In reference to core I’m shooting in the dark here; but I think it is the abs/groin muscles to help stableise the motion to help in the pitch. And to squeese the knees to keep the ability load the core.
  3. And as to the vertical axis would this be the spine?

May be completly off base on this

Skip,

Can you explain this concept of “linear rotation”? In most discussions I’ve seen, the terms “linear” and “rotation” are usually contradictory. Is this simply rotation while moving in a linear direction?