My Pitching Mechanics

Here they are (actually pitching this time) I was excited because today I could throw without hardly any pain!!!

Here are a few thoughts for you to consider, joba.

1. “Hardly any pain” is better than “lots of pain” but I personally don’t think you should be throwing at all if your arm is in any pain at all. I don’t think that slowing way down but still throwing is the answer if your arm hurts at all. I’m hoping most of the coaches at this site with real baseball experience would give similar advice along those lines.

2. That being said, thanks for using a tripod!

3. Assuming you do the right thing and do not throw again until your arm is truly pain-free (and maybe have an orthopedist’s clearance to start throwing again) here’s something from your delivery to think about:

4. In this video clip at least, your eyes are not always on the target after you have started your forward motion. Watch the video again and just concentrate on what your head/eyes are doing from beginning of leg lift, through the stride, and into release point. In my opinion, you should start your motion with eyes fixed on the target and during your stride your head should be moving always toward the target into your release point, with your eyes always fixed on your target.

Thanks laflippin, but the only thing is my physical therapist and doctor said that this was ok because the soreness is there only because the tendons are being excercised. When I rest it, the tendons stiffen up, causing pain in my elbow. It only was a little sore afterwards but I iced it and it feels great now!!!

I think they look exactly the same as the last video you posted…at least from this view. Maybe a front view would help clarify some problem? There’s some kind of windmilling action going on with your pitching arm, as opposed to the ideal whipping action. Like you’re doing one big catapulting forward arm circle instead of letting your arm whip through. I don’t know, I’m requesting a front view for next time though, it makes analysis a lot easier.

Ask your orthopedist about rehab exercises that might give your elbow some of the controlled effort it needs without subjecting it to the stresses of pitching a ball. Just a thought.

On the other hand, if an orthopedist has examined you and knows your details, and has cleared you to start throwing…that’s different.

Anyway, think a bit about the head/eyes thing I mentioned. Keeping your eyes fixed on your target with your head tracking forward also toward the target throughout your motion, up to the release point, will greatly help you with command of location.

Hmmm…I thought there was a huge difference between pitching and just playing catch?

Yep Ive been doing physical therapy for 7 weeks. Thanks for the tip though, Ill try and keep my eyes fixed on the target.

Hmmm…I thought there was a huge difference between pitching and just playing catch?[/quote]

not usually…

and when there is a difference, it’s almost always minor…

if you are going to post a video of your mechanics then at least throw your hardest like your pitching in a game.

exactly this kid kinda gets on my nerves. he did a swing video also where he half assed his swing.

Hello, your glove hand does not reach (extend )toward the catcher at all, you just tuck the glove hand (timing issue, may help in timing) , the throwing hand, as the ball is released, needs to keep extending toward the catcher so the arm and body ( get’s horizontal ), then snap off the pitch ( snap the towel drill ), then complete your pitch, slap the opposite knee, keep your eyes forward shoulder’s square to the plate, with your following leg to come ( over the bucket ) around and down ( parallel ) to your other foot.

you still have the bent elbow as I pointed out in your last vid

Any help on my mechanics?

exactly this kid kinda gets on my nerves. he did a swing video also where he half assed his swing.[/quote]

How about don’t say anything at all unless you have any advice on my mechanics. My mechanics don’t change when I throw harder anyways

It doesnt look bent at release point though. I looked at a frame by frame and it looks more like this:

nobody can give you any decent advice on this video. you have to be throwing like you do in a game. and yes your mechanics change alot while just throwing lightly and pitching.

I would disagree with this, I just think he can’t get any good advice because of the camera angle, because we really need multiple views. Ideally, a front view.

I would disagree with this, I just think he can’t get any good advice because of the camera angle, because we really need multiple views. Ideally, a front view.[/quote]

I’m sorry but I don’t have access to a camera right now. Can you tell anything wrong from the side, besides the arm above shoulder thing?

Anything wrong with them?

It would be nice to see what your feet are doing as your throw. Because thats your base. I firmly believe that what your feet are doing effects the rest of your body, because its obviously the first thing that touches the ground and applies the force. You might not be keeping your front foot closed long, enough it might be open to much ,closed to much at landing. Your back foot might roll over late, thus keeping your hips closed. Also game speed helps. I know people keep telling you that. Also if your arm hurts when you throw dont post a video until it doesnt hurt, so we can atleast get a video of you throwing harder.