My pitching mechanics - advice please

Hi everyone…

Well I decided it would be a good time to get some criticism on my throwing… as I mentioned in a post, I decided to start throwing lefty after throwing righty for 30+ years. I’ve been doing it for about 2 1/2 months, and thought early advice would be good to get rid of improper technique…

The first minute or so is just throwing, then I go into a stretch… At first look, it appear I throw too upright - that I should be bending more at the torso? It seems I’m close to high cocked position at footstrike, I can’t tell if I get the hip shoulder seperation - maybe a little if any…

Thanks in advance!!

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o167/ebkcontainers/?action=view&current=Throwing1.flv

something I said? No comments?

ebkcontainers
Sorry for the lack of responses. I’m not going to make you much happier because I’m going to ask for better video. I’d like to see a full effort throw, preferably from a mound. We also would need another angle to really do a good job.

You’ve got a very short backswing which isn’t necessarily bad but it would become a timing issue to deal with. See Billy Wagner.

Although it’s better than nothing, I’m not too fond of the photobuckt or youtube videos because I can’t step through them frame by frame and really see what’s going on. If you have this in a format that Quicktime will open, that’s best.

If you get some better video and another angle, in a better format, like avi, mov, mpg, let us know and maybe you could email them to me and some of the others here who are interested in helping however they can.

That would be the best. Sorry for not giving you more. Actually, other than the arm action, it looks like you’ve got some very good mechanics there. I’d just like to see them in a more complete format.

I agree with DM that your throwing in that video doesn’t look like full effort. It would be better for us to review full effort because things will be different.

That said, for someone just learning to throw with the opposite hand, I’d say you look pretty good. But I can still see some things. (At least I think I can. Like DM said, a video format that we can step through frame by frame would be best.)

When you stride, you need to lead more with the hip and less with the front leg. Get those hips going and lengthen the stride. This will probably reduce your “uprightedness” that you mentioned. If not, start with the knees bent a bit more.

I also noticed that your throwing arm doesn’t lay back in external rotation nearly as much as what normally happens. Throwing at full effort might also increase the external rotation.

I guess I missed your earlier post, but I gotta know, WHY? Did yu hurt your right shoulder or something??

… anyway, I think you looked remarkably good, all things considering.

All -

Thank you all for the initial comments on my mechanics, I’m glad to hear it is decent… that will keep me going!!

As far as the video, I will take some more shots from the side and from a front view - and save them in AVI. Unfortuanately, for now… I only have to ability to throw from a flat surface in the basement.

A couple of questions on your responses…

Does that mean, I come from the break to straight back? Would a long backswing mean down along the back leg then up?

[quote=“dm59”]
That would be the best. Sorry for not giving you more. Actually, other than the arm action, it looks like you’ve got some very good mechanics there. I’d just like to see them in a more complete format.[/quote]

Not a problem at all, I’ll try to get that better complete format for you

Roger, when you mention lead with your hip - do you mean at the time you start to the target? Is that how you get the feeling of falling to the target? Is there an easy way to describe how that should feel? Do you think some of the “uprightedness” may be that I’m throwing from a flat surface - maybe if I was on a mound I would be bending forward more?

Ya, I injured my shoulder pitching last year… I’m not quite sure what is wrong yet?? I’m guessing I tore something, so in the mean time I decided to start teaching myself to throw lefty… I figured, my sons are learning how to throw - why can’t I learn with them… It is just going to take a longggg time before I’m anywhere close to pitching lefty!!

Thanks again for your responses!

[quote=“ebkcontainers”][quote=“Roger”]
When you stride, you need to lead more with the hip and less with the front leg. Get those hips going and lengthen the stride. This will probably reduce your “uprightedness” that you mentioned. If not, start with the knees bent a bit more.
[/quote]
Roger, when you mention lead with your hip - do you mean at the time you start to the target? Is that how you get the feeling of falling to the target? Is there an easy way to describe how that should feel? Do you think some of the “uprightedness” may be that I’m throwing from a flat surface - maybe if I was on a mound I would be bending forward more?[/quote]
You want to get the hips going to build up momentum and get a nice long stride. But in the video, you looked like you were keeping the weight back and reaching with the front leg. Of course, this could have just been an artifact of not throwing at full effort (if that was the case).

Regarding the “uprightedness”, throwing on flat ground instead of from a mound would make a small difference but I don’t think it is the main reason. Instead, I think it is due to a lack of momentum. If you build up more momentum and stride longer, you’ll stay lower. But it will involve the legs - you won’t just bend forward at the waist.

[quote=“ebkcontainers”][quote=“Roger”]
I also noticed that your throwing arm doesn’t lay back in external rotation nearly as much as what normally happens. Throwing at full effort might also increase the external rotation.[/quote]
Ya, I think I’m going to have a problem with this… I dislocated my left shoulder several x’s leading to shoulder surgery… so my left shoulder is pretty tight - which may lead to me not being able to get as much external rotation… I’m hoping it will loosen in time… Do you think this will put a big damper on my gaining any velocity?[/quote]
A sports medicine doctor would be able to answer that question better than me. But I feel there is still opportunity to optimize your mechanics and that should allow you to achieve more velocity. You probably need to build some arm strength as well and I’d guess that would also allow you to increase your velocity.

Ya, I injured my shoulder pitching last year… I’m not quite sure what is wrong yet?? I’m guessing I tore something, so in the mean time I decided to start teaching myself to throw lefty… I figured, my sons are learning how to throw - why can’t I learn with them… It is just going to take a longggg time before I’m anywhere close to pitching lefty!!

Thanks again for your responses![/quote]

Wow. You must really love pitching. I’d like to think I’d try to do the

Wow. You must really love pitching. I’d like to think I’d try to do the[/quote]

got cut off … I’d like to think I’d do the same if godforbid something happened to my right arm.