My Pitching Log

I’m currently a sophomore in high school, and my huge goal is to first off make my school’s varsity squad, and help us win a state championship. Our program has been very weak the past few years, and we have a new head coach coming in this year, who was my coach on JV last year, so that will help. He’s a good guy. I’m 5 foot 6 145 lbs, and I’d say I throw pretty hard for a kid my size, but for normal kids my age I throw about average speed. I’ve never been clocked so I really don’t know how hard I throw. What I really have success with is my off speed stuff especially my change. If I gain some velocity this offseason, I think Ill be able to contribute on varsity. So that’s what I’ll be working on. Another thing I need to work on is my running speed. I’ve had some knee problems in the past and people say I limp when I run, which I don’t feel at all. I think it might just be a flex ability issue. Any suggestions for this would be great. Anyways, here was my workout for today-

I did the full J-Bands routine, with the bands I got for Christmas. Felt good.
Since there’s a foot of snow, I went in my basement and did the sock drill. Basically you just put your hand and a baseball in a long sports sock, tape it to your wrist, and you can go through your whole long tossing routine indoors.
Then I did a yoga routine focusing on back and legs .

We’ve had a couple snow days so if anyone has any good body weight workouts for when I can’t get to the gym leave them below.

Looking forward to following your progress

Today Was Sunday so I didn’t have access to gym, but I did so e body weight stuff that really kicked my ass. Here’s what it looked like
-5 10 yard bear crawls
-10 triangle push ups
-30 lateral jumps
-30 forward and backwards jumps
-20 normal push-ups
-30 step ups
-1 minute wall sit

And I repeated that circuit 3 times. I honestly felt dead after this, but it’s nice to know I’m pushing myself. Also I don’t really know the official names of these excersizes this is just what I call them. Hopefully you get the point.
I just got home from a football banquet so I’m planning on doing my bands, yoga, and then to get a little studying in.

After hearing everyone talk about the seniors accomplishments at the banquet I’m feeling especially inspired to work my ass off for the upcoming baseball and football seasons. Hopefully it’ll pay off come march.

Today was a pretty good day. I got our indoor mound out and had a nice throwing session with my buddy. He didn’t have any gear or even a catchers mitt, so I couldn’t really let it loose probably went about 75 percent, but my mechanics felt solid and my change up had some nice movement. It had mostly downward movement not much tail though, so any segestions to improve that would be great. Also I was getting good leg drive, but there was a couple times I felt I was kindve out of control with my stride right before landing. I’m not sure if this is a balence issue, or I was just over striding. Then I got a solid lift in.
125lb squat 3 sets of 10
95lb deadlift 3 sets of 10
175lb calf raise 3 sets of 10
Forearm curls with the bar 3 sets of 1 minute
20lb skull crushers 3 sets of 10, 8, 6
Russian twists 3 sets of 30
All the snow is supposed to melt tonight, so hopefully tomorrow I can get some long toss in on the football field.

Also today was the first time in a long time, probably over a year that I’ve dead lifted, even 95 was pretty tough. Hopefully I can get that up a lot.

Hey man, it’s awesome to see a young pitcher like you motivated so much! Seems like you’ve got a pretty good work ethic so far - that is the biggest thing that will bring you success is having a great work ethic. Regarding your changeup, I would honestly say don’t worry about movement at all right now. Become a master of throwing it with the same exact mechanics and arm speed as your fastball, and then the speed difference alone will completely throw off hitters timing. Regarding the deadlift, it is, in my opinion, the single best lift for pitchers, so keep working hard at it! When guys first start lifting, they might start off with low weight, but you will see huge gains in the first few months as long as you are consistent. I’m excited to follow your progress! Keep being consistent every single day, and you will see unbelievable results (I promise this from firsthand experience).

Thanks Ben and Wales. I think this log and site is going to really help me monitor my progress and keep being consistent like you said.

And those squats were actually 135. 2 45s and the bar better go study up on my math haha.

The high today was 18, but there was no snow on the football field and I decided to take advantage of it and long toss. I got out to about 200 feet and it felt pretty good besides the cold. My legs are still real sore from yesterday’s workout so after long tossing I decided today would be a recovery day. I did 10 90 foot sprints
2 sets of 10 decline crunches with a 35lb weight
3 sets of leg lifts
Then I streched out and that was pretty it for today. Tomorrow I’m supposed to throw a bullpen with my buddy who’s our varsity catcher. Hopefully it goes well.

Girls basketball had the gym after school so I didn’t get to throw. Other than that it was a pretty good day.
105 lb deadlift 3 sets of 10
135 lb squat 3 sets of 8
125 lb bench press 3 sets of 8, 7, 5
Body weight dips 3 sets of 5
15 lb dumbbell skull crushers 2 sets of 10

I had some lower back soreness after the last time I dead lifted that wasn’t there today so that’s a good sign. Also I talked to coach and he said that captains practices at the indoor facility a couple towns over is going to start up next Thursday, so I’m pumped for that. Good opportuinty to work on my swing in the cage and get some grounders in, all the stuff that’s tough to do at school when it’s 18 degrees. Hopefully I can either long toss or get a quick bullpen in, depending on if the gyms open.

Girls basketball had the gym after school so I didn’t get to throw. Other than that it was a pretty good day.
105 lb deadlift 3 sets of 10
135 lb squat 3 sets of 8
125 lb bench press 3 sets of 8, 7, 5
Body weight dips 3 sets of 5
15 lb dumbbell skull crushers 2 sets of 10

I had some lower back soreness after the last time I dead lifted that wasn’t there today so that’s a good sign. Also I talked to coach and he said that captains practices at the indoor facility a couple towns over is going to start up next Thursday, so I’m pumped for that. Good opportuinty to work on my swing in the cage and get some grounders in, all the stuff that’s tough to do at school when it’s 18 degrees. Hopefully tomorrow I can either long toss or get a quick bullpen in, depending on if the gyms open.

Big news today. Was talking to coach and he said he has a meeting with the athletic director to see if we can get an indoor batting cage for our gym. Since hitting is definatley not a strength of mine, that’ll be really great to be able to take bp whenever I want. Also I threw a bullpen today. It was all fastballs and change ups but my velocity felt really good and my catcher said my arm action and speed on the change up was good. Also he said he thought I was sitting low to mid 70s, so that’s pretty exciting, but I won’t know for sure untill I get gunned. After that I did some core.

1 min Oblique raises 3 sets of 10
45 s leg lifts 3 sets of 10
Russian twists with 8 lb med ball 3 sets of 25
Decline crunches 3 sets of 15
And then one more excersizes that I can’t think of at the moment.

Also yesterday I got my copy of tuff cuff in the mail. So far it looks real good, but it’s so packed with so much info that I’m gonna take the weekend to read and digest the whole thing then I’ll start following it the beginning of next week. Also just curious to hear anyones thoughts on the HOF voting the other day. I would’ve liked to see Biggio in, but I think it’s a pretty solid class.

Today was a pretty miserable day. Last night I had procrastinated on an English essay and ended up only getting 4 hours of sleep. I’ve decided I really need to step up my nutrition and sleeping habits, along with my training. Gotta do the little things, attention to detail. Anyways here was my workout.
125 lb deadlift 3 sets of 10
135 squat 3 sets of 10
Forearm curls 3 sets of 1 min
Ladder Agility Drills
Leg lifts
Wall sits
Crunches
5 1 minute sprints on treadmill, 1 min rest

Finally deadlift a up to a good weight, but the squats didn’t feel so great. Probably because of my lack of sleep. I’ve been listening to all lot of the the Jaeger sports mental stuff, and I especially agree with the concept of being process oriented rather than result oriented. It’s such a tough thing to do in a society that raises us to be resulted oriented, especially in the American school systems. Anyways, I’m excited to read over tuff cuff and start it Monday.

Yesterday was a real busy day. Woke up early and took a mock sat exam from 9-1, and I gotta say it was pretty difficult. My score was equivalent to an 1800 on the real sat, and considering I’m only a sophomore a was fairly satisfied. Afterwards I did my j-bands, then I worked a lot on mechanics. For some reason my velocity from the stretch is pretty down compared to my windup, so I worked on being quick to the plate and getting good leg drive from the stretch. Being quick to the plate has also been a big problem for me. Then I ran on the treadmill for cardio. Then later that night I watched my pats absolutely destroy the colts.

I’m writing this Sunday morning before my workout today and it’s 50 and sunny so hopefully I can get some work in outside.

Haven’t posted in a week or so. Orginally I made this to track my daily workouts, but ever since I got tuffcuff that’s taken over that purpose, so I’ll be posting more general updates weekly here. So anyways it’s been a pretty great week. The weathers been great so I’ve long tossed and taken bp outside almost every day. The tuff cuff workouts are real good, especially the ab stuff. Yesterday we had captains practice, and I threw a bullpen. My velocity still isn’t where I want it to be, by my mechanics, control, and change up are all in mid season form. Overall things are going pretty well.

Haven’t posted in a while, but things have been going pretty well. As far as lifts go I’m doing reps with 165 on the squat and 135 on the deadlift. Over febuary break I also went down to fort Myers to see the sox spring training and it was incredible. Xander, JBR, and Sizemore all looked especially impressive, and watching guys like Lester and koji long toss was unreal. I stayed with my grandmother there, who happens to have a ball field down the street from her so I also brought my and threw quite a bit. Today I threw a bullpen (which I’ll post a short clip of later on) and the did medicine ball, abs, and cardio. Three weeks untill tryouts.