My pitching clip

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

I am 15 years old, and here’s my clip…

Nice balance on the post, I’m sure you have heard before that you tend to open early, I could see you work on driving your hips toward home sideways longer prior to opening your front hip and planting your foot. More velocity comes first from the ability to turn the hips with more torque. Pretty good glove side mechanics, could still pull the glove more straight back vs down and back, but great position as you go to the deceleration phase! Thanks for the slow motion don’t know if I could be as critical if it was full speed.

your lower body action is literally the most beautiful one ive seen on this site, i personally wouldnt change anything about your mechanics, superb, i could literally watch you pitch all day, i dont know about you, but im a guy who can sit and watch a pitcher throw for hours on end if i like their mechs, is it just me or does anyone else get stuck watching a pitcher if they have really good mechs? :smiley:

Good morning, pitcherman95!
I know just what you mean—about being “stuck” on watching a pitcher for hours at a time. I used to go to the original Yankee Stadium every chance I got, and I would watch the Yankees’ legendary Big Three rotation guys—Allie Reynolds, Vic Raschi and Ed Lopat—almost to the exclusion of everybody and everything else. I noticed that all three of them were doing the same thing: they were driving off the lower half of the body, using the legs, the hips and the torso in one continuous—and, it seemed to me, seamless—motion. I realized that what they were doing was the real key to their power; they were generating more power behind their pitches, and at the same time they were taking a lot of pressure off the arm and the shoulder so they could throw harder and faster with less effort—even Lopat, who unlike the other two was a real finesse pitcher, not much speed but a lot of stuff and the control and command to go with it.
This, I realized, was “The Secret”. I picked up on that, worked on it on my own, and learned to do what they were doing…throw harder with less effort. I was a natural sidearmer, and I used the crossfire extensively, and I found that my delivery and my pitches had more snap and sizzle to them just because it was all so effortless.
Here’s another unusual aspect to all this. I used to like to play a little game wherein I would watch those guys and try to pick out their pitches, see if I could tell what they were throwing by watching how the ball would break as it got to the plate. But I couldn’t do that when Lopat was pitching; after a minute or so I found myself watching his motion and not the ball. I couldn’t help it; he had an easy, effortless motion that could best be described as hypnotic, and it got me every time. Kind of like a rocking chair—steady, unwavering, like clockwork, and it got me every time. The I realized that this was why the batters had so much trouble with him; it wasn’t just his stuff, it was also how he was throwing it! This was especially true when he was pitching against his favorite patsies, the Cleveland Indians whom he was constantly beating to an unrecognizable pulp. I could watch him for hours, and invariably I would get caught up in that motion.
I learned a lot about good solid mechanics from watching those guys in action, and I picked up things I could use. And later on, because of my curiosity about the slider, I met Lopat, and he showed me how to throw a good one, and that led to him becoming my pitching coach for almost four years…and what I learned from him was priceless. 8) :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

What’s your height and weight? Normal Velocity? “Reach back” velocity?

These are scouting type questions, cause yeah you look pretty natural there. If you repeat that motion and delivery each time then just about the only thing you need to work on is strength. Long toss, twist ups, etc.

So if you want to play it safe, DO NOTHING and simply let your growing body train your brain to do what’s strongest and most balanced. Don’t let some ambitious coach add too much to your mechanics if you feel that you’re losing ANY of your balance, cause you are so on it in that department. No matter what velocity you suddenly lose for unknown reasons, no matter how much funk you find yourself in, no matter how bad you get hurt, your balance and fitness will take you back to the top, no doubt.

If you want to go nuts, try and get a little more down and forward with your release—you’re very upright there, but then you look like you’re finishing more after the release. Finish a little bit early: visualize slamming your chest into your knee, and punching through your target as you release.

Then again, in another year or two, and with more strength you may find yourself powering through anyway.

First of all,

Thank all of you for the great advice. I am really hoping to keep working and improving and just trying to be the best "me" that I can be, and you guys are a great help.

I am 5'11". I weigh right around 145 lbs. I just clocked last month at a max of 73 mph. I kept it pretty consistent between 69-72. I think I could probably get upto 75-76. It's my freshman year. I'm playing for the JV team for my high school. 

Any more advice or suggestions would be great! I'm hoping to get some game clips posted of me pitching soon. My biggest goals are to basically increase my velocity and add another pitch. I only throw a 4-seam and a circle change at the present.

Thanks again!