My offseason training log

Hey everyone. I’ve decided to start my own training log here so I can get advice about each workout. I’m 16, 5’8, and my starting weight: is 152 lbs. The way its gonna be setup it this:

Monday- Lowerbody

Tuesday- Upperbody

Wednesday- Pylometrics

Thursday- Lowerbody

Friday- Upperbody

Saturday- 15 minute jog on treadmill

Sunday- Dayoff

Each workout is gonna be different, with different excercies each time. started my training yesterday with Upperbody Day. I started at 5:20 P.M, and ended at 6:18 p.m.

Dumb Bell Bench- 3 sets of 15 reps, 35 lbs. dumbbells.

Tricep Pushdowns (Straight Bar)- 3 sets of 15 reps, 60 lbs.

Bicep Curls (Dumbbells, each arm)- 3 sets of 15 reps, 25 lbs dumbbells.

Pulldowns- 3 sets of 15 reps, 90 lbs.

Shoulder Press (Dumbbells)- 3 sets of 15 reps, 25 lbs. dumbbells.

Wrist Curls- 3 sets of 15 reps, 55 lbs.

Incline Dumbbell Bench- 3 sets of 15 reps, 30 lbs.

Pushups- 3 sets of 20 reps (I couldent finish these lol)

Today, I did pylometrics. I started off with a wholesome breakfast, bowl of cereal, corn muffin, glass of apple juice, granola bar. My post workout meal was a protein bar (out of protein shake mix right now), a smoothie (banana, blueberries, strawberries, milk, orange juice, apple juice, ice) and couple slices of pizza. For dinner, had a couple of hotdogs. All of this should be around 60-65 grams of protein. Not a very healthy eating day, but its all i had.

2 Sets of Stair Climbs

One 30 yard sprint, eight 40 yard sprints, and one 50 yard sprint.

Box jumps- 6 sets of 10 reps

Jumping sqauts- 3 sets of 15 reps

Good luck!

wow seems like a very busy workout schedule. is there going to be mound work, long toss ect… in all of this too?? because if there is, I think your headed down a road towards exhaustion and even injuries because with pitching involved I think you have very very little recovery time with a workout the same day, day before, day after a pitching session ect…

Muscle is made in the kitchen…and hotdogs arent the way to go. I know how it goes sometimes. Hell, I ended up eating hamburgers tonight, but your diet is really a mess. You really dont have a good protein source other than the protein bar. Try talking your folks (or whoever does your shopping) into buying tons of chicken breasts and freeze them. At the start of the week, take 5 or 6 out of the freezer and cook them (BBQ is easy). Grab some ziplock bags and you are set for the next week. That way you have something that you can pop in the microwave.

Also, pay attention to your body. That was a long workout (I dont know about others, but I like to keep lifting under 45 minutes). If you are sore for the next week, start cutting back the amount of sets. You dont need to hit that absolute fatigue barrier every time. It’s admirable that you put in so much work, but it would be better in the long run if you work within your limits to get started.

I bet you’ll be damn sore tomorrow :wink:

I know my diets horrible. My parents are having tough times with money right now, and they can’t really afford anything at the moment besides the usual things (bills, food shopping, etc.) and chicken breast is expensive. But I have a job, I’ll buy some for myself if they cant buy any. And I should be ordering some protein shake mix online today. Snake, I’m not gonna be throwing for a while because I want to get my strength up, and work my rotator cuff alot more for the next 2 months. But should I be throwing now instead of 2 months from now?

Well anyway, heres todays log. Right now I’m eating breakfast: organic cereal called “weetabix”, its basically oatmeal. I’m having the leftovers of the smoothie I made yesterday (1/2 banana, blueberries, strawberries, milk, orange juice, apple juice) and I have a granola bar on the side. Also taking a mutivitamin with a vitamin E soft gel. Heres todays workout(its still morning and i’m not working out until later tonight, so if it needs fixing, it can be done).

Squats- 2 sets of 15 reps

Leg Press- 2 sets of 15 reps

Dead Lifts- 2 sets of 15 reps

Leg Extensions- 2 sets of 15 reps

Calf Raise- Ups- 3 sets of 10 reps; Ins- 3 sets of 10 reps; outs- 3 sets of 10 reps.

Crunches- 1 set of 25 reps

Oblique crunches- 1 set of 25 reps

Leg Lifts- 1 set of 25 reps

No gym tonight, my dads making excuses to not take me. I’m pretty sore anyway, I could use the rest. I can do lower body tomorrow and upperbody saturday.

No gym tonight, my dads making excuses to not take me. I’m pretty sore anyway, I could use the rest. I can do lower body tomorrow and upperbody saturday. Well heres my dinner: 1 Chicken Breast, 1/2 cup mixed vegetables, about 5-7 roasted potatos. I also ordered a 5 lbs. tub of protein shake mix, I think its made by cytosport. Also ordered a hitaway :smiley:

Good job on dinner.

I completely forgot to put my goal for all of this lol. I have yet to make my school team, but this year, I think I have a good shot if I can boost my strength, speed, agility, and get alot better at hitting. My main goal is to hit 80 mph, and just become an all around athlete. Right now, I’m basically conditioning for actual baseball conditioning at school, which starts on November 1st.

Well, my lunch today wasen’t exactly great. I had 4 BBQ chicken wings(not fried), noodles, a dinner roll, strawberry milk, bread pudding, and I hate to say it and I regret it dearly…a chocolate peanut butter cookie, I couldent resist man, it was the last one lol. I’m actually thinking of just bringing in a couple of peanut butter sandwiches, bringing in a protein shake, and some fruit or somethin. My after school snack was a protein bar, those meal replacement bars or whatever, packs about 32 grams of protein in it with like 320 calories. Also, how many calories should I be having a day? Should I be counting my calories? (Not the way people do to lose weight)

I felt great tonight at the gym, felt really confident, just felt relaxed, felt the burn. I felt like I should have done alot more ab work, but I had to leave because my dad was bein an ass. After my workout, I had an over the counter bottle of Muslce Milk Protein shake, 32 grams of protein. My body weight tonight was 156 lbs. Start time- 4:56 P.M. End Time- 6:10 P.M. Heres what I did:

Squats- 3 sets of 10 reps: 1st set- 180 lbs, 2nd set- 190 lbs, 3rd set- 200 lbs.

Leg Press- 3 sets of 10 reps: 1st set- 330 lbs, 2nd set- 350 lbs, 3rd set- 370 lbs.

Deadlifts- 3 sets of 10 reps: 135 lbs.

Leg Extensions- 3 sets of 10 reps: 140 lbs.

Leg Curls- 3 sets of 10 reps: 95 lbs.

Hip Adductor- 3 sets of 10 reps: 110 lbs.

Hip Abbductor- 3 sets of 10 reps: 110 lbs.

Calf Raise (Ups, Outs, Ins)- 3 sets of 10 reps: 135 lbs.

Ab Crunch Machine- 2 sets of 25 reps: 50 lbs.

For dinner tonight, I am having 3 eggs(scrambeled) with 3 slices of toast(whole grain), a glass of water, and an apple.

Also finished the night up with 3 sets of 25 crunches, 1 set of 25 side crunches (each side), 50 toe touches. Cooled off with some stretches.

I would weigh yourself in the morning. Thats more of a true weight, because weighing yourself at night is weighing all the unprocessed food in your system, but in the morning everything has been digested. Weigh yourself in the morning and you’ll see you weigh less.

I wouldn’t worry about calories at this point. You are a young guy, and you need to take in a lot to grow. The only thing that I would keep track of is protein. Aim for 150-175 grams a day and you should see big gains.

Its gonna be alot easier to consume protein when i get my 5lb tub of it in the mail lol. Right now I’m eating my breakfast: Some granola cereal stuff lol but it has 6 grams of protein every 2/3 cups, and i got like 3 in here lol; cup of apple juice, multivitamin and vitamin E soft gel.

Today I will be doing upperbody. Heres my workout:

Swiss Ball Dumbbell Bench Press- 3 sets of 20 reps
Incline Bench Press- 3 sets of 20 reps
Skull Crushers- 3 sets of 20 reps
Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets of 20 reps
Preacher Curls- 3 sets of 20 reps
Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets of 20 reps
Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets of 20 reps
Wrist Curls- 3 sets of 15 reps
Shoulder Raises(5 lb weights)

Did Upperbody today, felt pretty good, and pretty exhausted lol. But overall, I felt great. Heres what I did:

Start Time- 11:50 A.M

Swiss Ball Dumbbell Bench Press- 3 sets of 20 reps: 25 lb. dumbells

Incline Bench Press- 3 sets of 20 reps: 30 lb. dumbbells

Skull Crushers- 3 sets of 15 reps: 40 lb. Barbell

Tricep Pushdowns- 3 sets of 20 reps: 65 lbs.

Preacher Curls- 3 sets of 20 reps: 50 lb. Barbell

Dumbbell Shoulder Press- 3 sets of 20 reps: 20 lb. dumbbells

Lat Pulldowns- 3 sets of 20 reps: 90 lbs.

Wrist Curls- 3 sets of 15 reps: 55 lbs.

Shoulder Raises(5 lb weights)

End Time- 12:55 P.M.

For my post workout, I had another one of those bottles of over the counter muscle milk from the gym, had a chicken breast sandwich with some Arizona Green Tea. Right now, I’m eating a protein bar for a snack. Also, some great news, my mom picked up a bag boneless skinless chicken breast while she was grocery shopping, hopefully i’ll be having it for dinner.

My dinner tonight was 1 boneless skinless chicken breast, 1/2 cup of broccoli, and bout 3/4 cup of white rice(I have suggested to my mom to get brown whole grain rice)

Nice job. Just make sure that you keep it up :smiley:

Very good news about the food too.

Thank you very much KC. For breakfast, I am eating 1 cup of 100% natural granola with raisins and almonds, a glass of orange juice, and a mutivitamin with a vitamin E soft gel. Today is my day off to relax pretty much and get this soreness out of me lol, but I do have 5 hours of work today from 11-4, oh well. Also, at work, all there is for lunch pretty much is some deli with some really unhealthy food. Everything is pretty much fried besides the ribs. Should I just get myself a protein bar?

If it’s a deli, you could get a turkey sandwich with no mayo. Turkey is high in protein, and if you get a fresh wheat roll, that wouldn’t be bad for you. Just dont have chips with it.

I actually forgot our store holds south beach diet meals. I got the microwavable pizza one today, 31 grams of protein in a pizza! It was really good too, good thing the back of the store has a microwave. Also got some mac n cheese, non fat banana cream yogurt, and some water.

awesome, keep up the good work! those pizzas are pretty good, I’m gonna have one today!

Well, my dinner wasent exactly as I planned tonight. I’m was born in England by the way, and my parents love the fish and chips(fries in america if u didnt know lol) so I was forced to have it. Oh well, it was my day off, it wont kill me. I might try and do something new with the sets and reps. I’m thinking of going with 3 sets of 10 reps the first time, then go with this the next workout: 1st set- 10 reps, 2nd set- 8 reps, 3rd set- 6 reps- 4th set 4 reps. I might do it tomorrow. Tomorrows workout is expected to look like this:

Sqauts- 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4
Leg Press- 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4
Hamstring Curls- 3 sets of 10 reps
Leg Extensions- 3 sets of 10 reps
Deadlifts- 1x10, 1x8, 1x6, 1x4
Lunges- 3 sets of 20 reps
Hip Adductor/Hip Abbductor- 3 sets of 20 reps
Calf Raise- 3 sets of 10 reps

I had a disapointing breakfast this morning: A protein bar with a glass of apple juice. I was in a rush because I had to be at a softball game.

I Had a great workout though! Everything felt great, had great confidence, breathing was good, just an overall great workout. Also reached the 400 pound plateau for Leg Press! And a big guy on the school baseball team could only do like 250 while I was there, and hes like alot bigger than me! On sqauts, I tried going up 10 pounds this week for my final set, but I didnt feel good, so I’m gonna stay where I am next workout. Here are my results:

Squats- 3x10: 1st set- 190, 2nd set- 200, 3rd set- 210

Leg Press- 3x10: 1st set- 350, 2nd set- 370, 3rd set- 400

Hamstring Curls- 3x10: 100 lbs.

Leg Extensions- 3x10: 150 lbs.

Lunges- 3 sets of 20 steps: 15 lb. dumbbells.

Hip Adductor/Abbductor- 3x10: 110 lbs.

Calf Raises- 3x30: 135 lbs.

Deadlifts- 2x15: 135 lbs.

Crunch Machine- 3x25: 50 lbs.

After my workout, I had a bottle of Muscle Milk. About 2 hours later, I had a grilled chicken sandwich with lettuce and tomatoe, and for dinner, I’m having boneless skinless chicken breast with 1/2 cup of mixed vegetables, and 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes.