My mechanics

Me pitching in my batting cage this off season. Will be entering junior season this summer. Please Critique! Thanks!

Wow you have real explosive arm action, thats good. One thing I do notice is in your power position (after planting from stride), your head is a little tilted from your body. Your head should be in line with the belly rather than pulling away. I don’t know if you do, but do you miss low and away to a right handed better a lot? This might be causing it, because of you pulling your head, rather than taking it to the target.

hmm i guess i really havent noticed missing low and away. i slowed it down too and also noticed it. but i guess its just a natural habit i dont even realize. but other than this anything else i could improve?
thanks

The head is clearing for the rotation not a bad thing unless you are missing the zone. The only thing is you turn it so far if you stop it just befor you let go you are looking at first base. What are youe numbers?

well im 5-11 only 140 lbs soaking wet.

Fastball (87-89)-pinpoint accuracy
Change(78-81)
Curve (75-77)
2 Seam(85-87)

if you throw high 80s with location and can throw your curveball and change up for strikes at 5’11, 140, don’t change a thing. as you grow and gain strength your velocity should increase. you’re right where you should be

yah… i was just wanting to know anything i could work on though. i mean no one has perfect mechanics, so theres got to be something i can do. right?

i agree with dusty. don’t change a thing. you have very explosve mechanics and you obviously get every ounce you can into your pitch. just make sure you take care of that arm. :slight_smile:

okay guys… i really appreciate the compliments… come on… i have to have something wrong with my mechanics. if i have nothing to work on…how must i get better?

improve yor arm strength, build stamina, get bigger.

i meant about my mechanics. my stamina is very good. i can throw usually 130 pitches a game before becoming tired. just tell me my flaws in my mechanicsss

I am normally in full agreement with you Dusty, but I have to disagree on this one.

There are some pretty good pitchers who made if very far in baseball with very poor mechanics simply because they (and there coaches) were only concerned with results. All you have to do is look at O’leary’s critque of Bobby Madritsch for a case in point. I played against him in the Northern League where he topped out at 98 with a plus change up, but you may have never heard of him because he is out of baseball due to arm injuries caused by horrific mechs. I am not saying this young man has bad mechs by any means, but I am quite concerned with his front side action.

Heelan, it looks like you (like 99% of young pitchers) were probably coached to tuck the glove and you do this very aggresively. The problem with this is that when you focus on pulling the glove through that entire side of the body comes with and you wind up pulling off line or “flying open”. Your head is a big time indicator of this. Someone said earlier that “your head is clearing for rotation”. IMO your head is actually pulling along with the rest of your body. IMO flying open is one of the biggest demons that most pitchers fight. It usually leads to command issues and more importantly puts the elbow at risk. Here is what I would recommend as a fix:

Get into the power position with your glove out in front of your body. Now simply simulate your throwing motion at about %50 effort and instead of thinking “tuck the glove”, think “close the front elbow”. What I mean by that is instead of pulling the front elbow back, try swiveling that elbow down and in. The glove should rotate up and your elbow should be out in front of you. Continue to practice your throwing motion at about 50% until that feels comfortable. Now here’s the key; be sure that when you are throwing at peak effort with this new glove side action that you keep that aggresion that you display in your video. Snap that front elbow closed just as aggresively as you used to pull it back. This should also ensure that your scaps fire together. There is no sense in loading those scaps if you never fire them and closing that elbow should help facilitate that.

Hope this makes sense,

HB

im going to the cage right now and trying this hasbeen. ill put up a video of my efforts in the next couple of hours so please get on later to watch and critique. thank you!! this is the stuff i wanted, but everyone else thanks for the compliments! they are much appreciated :slight_smile:

Relax on mechanical flaws. You just got some good advice right there.

FYI for best mechanical analysis here you need multiple angles and slow motion. You don’t do enough stuff wrong to find it without slow motion. HasBeen gave you a good post but if you want some other smaller stuff to come out you need some slow motion.

Oh yeah, I see that you are using a bucket with balls in that video. With the arm you have I would be very careful with warm-ups and all that. The last thing you want to do is hurt your arm like that. I would look up some good warm-ups to do and make sure you are throwing enough warm-up pitches.

Protect that arm at all costs.

I am normally in full agreement with you Dusty, but I have to disagree on this one.

Heelan, it looks like you (like 99% of young pitchers) were probably coached to tuck the glove and you do this very aggresively. The problem with this is that when you focus on pulling the glove through that entire side of the body comes with and you wind up pulling off line or “flying open”. Your head is a big time indicator of this. Someone said earlier that “your head is clearing for rotation”. IMO your head is actually pulling along with the rest of your body. IMO flying open is one of the biggest demons that most pitchers fight. It usually leads to command issues and more importantly puts the elbow at risk. Here is what I would recommend as a fix:

Get into the power position with your glove out in front of your body. Now simply simulate your throwing motion at about %50 effort and instead of thinking “tuck the glove”, think “close the front elbow”. What I mean by that is instead of pulling the front elbow back, try swiveling that elbow down and in. The glove should rotate up and your elbow should be out in front of you. Continue to practice your throwing motion at about 50% until that feels comfortable. Now here’s the key; be sure that when you are throwing at peak effort with this new glove side action that you keep that aggresion that you display in your video. Snap that front elbow closed just as aggresively as you used to pull it back. This should also ensure that your scaps fire together. There is no sense in loading those scaps if you never fire them and closing that elbow should help facilitate that.

Hope this makes sense,

HB[/quote]

i realy have to disagree. look at a video of tim lincecum and then tell me that tucking the glove side arm aggresively is wrong…

Lincecum is a rare case anyways. Hard to compare to him.

hey well i just got my new video up its mechanics #2 so please watch and critique! thanks