My Mechanics

Hi all, last night I pitched against one of the top teams in my league (Shepaug Valley, one of the most succesful programs in Connecticut).

The first inning was not very good, my command was off because I was getting my arm going to late in my delivery, but after I fixed that, they didn’t touch me. Heres a video from my second inning of pitching. It was kind of a 1-2-3, because there was a ball my rightfielder should have caught that fell, followed by a DP, and then a K.

Two things I am aware I do wrong-

1-Obviously, I fly off the the side of the mound after I release the pitch, its something I constantly battle. I am able to pitch fine with it, but I
would eventually like to land in a better position.

2-I reverse rotate my shoulder a bit, which I know could possibly hurt my arm. I don’t know if its as bad as my highschool coach makes it seem to be though, because it’s not like I am parallel with 3rd when I reach back. I rotate my entire upper body towards second base a little bit, which makes a little reverse rotation seem like a lot when viewing from home plate.

Also, the only pitches I threw this inning were 4-Seam fastballs and Curves, just to clear things up.

i like your mechanics. i dont see too much of a problem with the arm, although you may want to work on changing the arm path when you swing back

I believe the reason you fall off to the side is because you stride to the throwing arm side and then bend at the waist to the glove side in an attempt to get the upper body back in line with the target. You also might be dropping/pulling the glove a bit soon which can also open you up early and cause you to spin out. But I’d work on the stride issue first and then go from there.

Before altering your stride, one thing to try is to move to the left side of the rubber. This will allow you to continue to stride to the closed side while reducing what it takes to get squared up to the target. But if you continue to bend at the waist (instead of just rotating), then you might need to alter your stride. And you’ll need to identify what’s making you stride offline from the target. Maybe the reverse rotation you say you have? Anyway, consider the possibility that the stride is an effect of some other flaw.

Thats a very keen observation, thank you very much, you really gave me a great biomechanical explanation as to why I just can’t stay online with home plate.

I think I am going to have to alter my stride a little bit though, because I already do start off on the left side of the rubber.

I think part of the problem is my long arm action, which keeps my shoulders rotated to far towards second base in my delivery. I think if I shorten it up just a bit, my hips will have a little more room to rotate and I won’t be landing closed and leaning back to compensate.

But, hell, if in the end it doesn’t work, I’m still very effective as it is so It’s alright either way.

[quote=“Roger”]I believe the reason you fall off to the side is because you stride to the throwing arm side and then bend at the waist to the glove side in an attempt to get the upper body back in line with the target. You also might be dropping/pulling the glove a bit soon which can also open you up early and cause you to spin out. But I’d work on the stride issue first and then go from there.

Before altering your stride, one thing to try is to move to the left side of the rubber. This will allow you to continue to stride to the closed side while reducing what it takes to get squared up to the target. But if you continue to bend at the waist (instead of just rotating), then you might need to alter your stride. And you’ll need to identify what’s making you stride offline from the target. Maybe the reverse rotation you say you have? Anyway, consider the possibility that the stride is an effect of some other flaw.[/quote]

So basically what you could say I’m doing is landing closed, but instead of throwing across my body, I drop my torso so my arm gets back on line with the plate?

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]I think part of the problem is my long arm action, which keeps my shoulders rotated to far towards second base in my delivery.[/quote]BINGO!!!

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]I think if I shorten it up just a bit,…[/quote]My suggestion is that this is not the mental imagery you should have. There are plenty of successful MLB pitchers with similar arm action. I propose that it’s the “path” the arm action takes here that’s the problem, not the length of it. It goes down and then takes a path off line from 2nd to home and more toward 1st base, behind your back.

[quote=“dm59”][quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]I think part of the problem is my long arm action, which keeps my shoulders rotated to far towards second base in my delivery.[/quote]BINGO!!!

No, yea I know what you are talking about. I just say that because I reach back as far as I can in my delivery, and then come around. If I shorten up a bit, I’m still reaching back, just not swinging around as much.

Basically, I just need to have my first move be straight back towards second, like this-
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/adam_hofstetter/09/20/uncommon.sense/p1_clemens.jpg
Than to swing back towards first base like this-

Would you guys say that overall though, I have developed explosive mechanics that maximize velocity? That has been my goal over the past year.

[quote=“FSTBLLTHRWER”]
So basically what you could say I’m doing is landing closed, but instead of throwing across my body, I drop my torso so my arm gets back on line with the plate?[/quote]
“Landing closed” is ambiguous. It could describe your stride direction or it could describe your body position. In your case, I mean tstride direction. In other words, you stride to the 3B side.

I think “drop my torso” is also ambiguous. You bend to the glove side at the waist.