My Mechanics

Just some background–I’m 15 5’8" 130 lbs. I have played 2 years of JV baseball and will be trying out for Varsity this comming season. I throw around 70 with my fastball, upper 50’s change up, mid 50’s knucle curve and upper 60’s 2 seamer.

Seems pretty good. You never fully open up your hips, but that could be just because your flat ground pitching. One other thing is your shoulders rotate a hair too early. Not bad, but it’s causing you to release the ball a bit further back than you’d like.
All in all, not bad.

I saw a few of things…

1. You do a good job of striding sideways.

2. Your hips and shoulders seem to rotate at pretty much the same time.

3. It looks to me like you are rushing; that you start rotating your shoulders before your forearm is up and in the high cocked position. Have you had any shoulder problems? If not, I would watch out for them.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had some minor elbow problems, but I haven’t had any shoulder problems.

What would you suggest that I do to not rush?

The problem would probably be fixed by delaying when your shoulders rotate. That should give your arm more time to get up and into the high cocked position before your shoulders start to turn.

If that isn’t enough, you might want to try breaking your hands a little sooner or in a different spot (e.g. lower).

thanks–Ive been doing some dry throwing and I under stand what you are talking about.

I tried to incorporate some of these things into my windup. I bent over, rotated my shoulders a little later and I threw to a catcher. I was able to reach 75 mph–about 4 or 5 mph higher than my previous high. The only thing was that since I was not used to the new things I was not able to repeat them very well, so the results were inconsistant. One pitch would be 68 and over the catchers head and the next was 75 and right where I wanted it. I guess this will get better as I practice it more.

This is a video of me trying it with the new things. The two pitches look very different, because I was not able to have the same mechanics consistantaly. (It is really freakin hot out 108 (temperature, not heat index–I think the heat index was over 110) as the high today, so thats why I’m sweating like a pig.)

Chris O’ leary wrote:

Isn’t that a bad thing?

[quote=“zforce39”]Chris O’ leary wrote:

Isn’t that a bad thing?[/quote]
He was just pointing it out.

[quote=“zforce39”]Chris O’ leary wrote:

Isn’t that a bad thing?[/quote]

Yes.

It will limit the pitcher’s velocity.

It appears to me that you will have trouble getting good hip and shoulder separation and delayed shoulder rotation because your glove arm never gets into a good equal and opposite position at foot strike. Instead, your glove drops real quick which makes your shoulders open up too soon and pulls you offline from your target. The result is you don’t have the timing to keep the shoulders closed longer. This explains Chris’s comment about your shoulders rotating at the same time as your hips. It also explains why your stride is not as long as it could/should be and why your back foot lifts off the ground before you release the ball.