My mechanics Video included

Here is a short clip of me pitching this fall. From what I saw I think I am opening up too early and back leg is too bent.

I appreciate all opinions!

Thanks

I feel like you are coming off the mound with some of your momentum towards first base side. It may be how far away from the camera you are, but if you are losing momentum there then you have velocity to gain by fixing the lost energy and using it towards driving to home plate.

CSOleson- I agree, thanks for taking the time to review.

Here is another clip with a close up at 1:07

we sort of have the same deal… i think we both have to be more violent in our drive to footplant… that’ll be easier to control the hip explosion and time it properly

Your problem is that you are spinning, you aren’t rotating properly. Your arm is dragging. Essentially you need to work on unloading the ball more efficiently. Momentum towards first base is fine, if your doing it properly. You have good velocity the problem is you lack command of your fastball and you throw breaking pitches from lower arm slots then your fastball.

More on the spinning though, notice how much your head is being misdirected to the left. Watch this clip of Lincecum (I know I’m pushing Lincecum but you have a somewhat similar motion):

Specifically watch :52-:54 and notice how Lincecum’s head makes way for his arm but he doesn’t go off to the side like you do. His momentum is still going forward. If you wish I can offer advice on how to fix this

Thanks for the comments so far everyone!

I’d love your advice. I have never had a true pitching coach so I know there is a lot to fix in my mechanics.

Priceless look at my video for advice please!

UnDiscovered, here is the best way I have found as a way to explain what is going on with spinning this is from the setpro archives:

[quote]A typical spin throw goes something like this:

1. The elbows get up so that when the torso turns, the inertia of the arm pinches the scap.

It’s a “passive” loading of the scaps and not at all what elite throwers do. But if you are looking at film, you see the elbows go back and you think that the scaps are loaded. You may also get some passive arching of the spine as well.

1. The scaps stay pinched as the torso continues to turn and the arm is dragged into release. As they get closer to release, they will yank the head to the side in a desperate attempt to crack the whip and release the ball. Paul explained to me how the yanking to the side is also creates a fish hook.

So after the ball is released the momentum of the arm/body will unload the scaps and the create the final bow. Everything that should happen, happens after it should. The ball is released and two frames after the arch turns into a bow.

So you see scap loading/unloading and the bow arch bow sequence and think everything is hunky dory.

But it isn’t.

An elite throw starts with the scaps being retracted and the back being arched in preparation for violent unloading into release. The unloading of the scaps (contraction of the chest) creates a fish hook.[/quote]

This is a problem that I have been through and have only been recently seen progress in fixing it. Look at this clip, if you need to slow it down save it as an image to your computer. You can then open it up and go through it frame by frame. This was again from the archives of setpro.

http://i1090.photobucket.com/albums/i368/Sam_Hoppe/RSS_UBUnload_CView.gif?t=1292377455

Watch it and again compare it to yourself and tell me what you see.

i dont think im interpreting the wording right, but one must have the scaps "passively"pinched, not forced, until the torso rotates to the plate?

when the arm is in external rotation the scaps are unloaded right?

idk curious now, ill see what i feel when i throw tomorrow…

My suggestion would be to first work on postural stability. It looks like as you go into knee lift you get yourself leaning back towards 1B. If you do that as you start moving toward home plate, chances are you’re going to end up going somewhere in between. Furthermore, you end up tilting to the side as you rotate and that puls your shoulders open early. You do misdirect energy, you pull your release point back, you cost yourself some velocity, and you put more stress on the arm.

Start by minimizing head movement in any direction other that towards home plate. Pay particular attention to any sideways movement during knee lift.

[quote=“Drewski”]i dont think im interpreting the wording right, but one must have the scaps "passively"pinched, not forced, until the torso rotates to the plate?

when the arm is in external rotation the scaps are unloaded right?

idk curious now, ill see what i feel when i throw tomorrow…[/quote]

I will get more in depth about this later, but no. Essentially passive scap loading according to the post is not what you want. The passive scap load comes from your arm falling behind your body. This is hard to understand and requires lots of work. I have been working on it for weeks know, tinkering with different things trying to find something that would work.

Priceless- I’m not gonna lie this is the first time someone has introduced scap loading to me. From what I read above in your post, I think it makes sense and I can definitely see it in my videos.

But I’m not sure I truly understand, it seems pretty complex lol. Putting it in my own words I would say that " I am tensing my scaps and muscles up during rotation and to get them to untense I am jerking my head to the left to allow the arm to come through"…Does that make any sense or am I lost???

If I relax myself more through the motion and keep my head align and come towards home more efficiently will that fix my problem…?

I hope I make sense haha

Anyway, Priceless Thanks for the help!

[quote=“TheUnDiscovered”]Priceless- I’m not gonna lie this is the first time someone has introduced scap loading to me. From what I read above in your post, I think it makes sense and I can definitely see it in my videos.

But I’m not sure I truly understand, it seems pretty complex lol. Putting it in my own words I would say that " I am tensing my scaps and muscles up during rotation and to get them to untense I am jerking my head to the left to allow the arm to come through"…Does that make any sense or am I lost???

If I relax myself more through the motion and keep my head align and come towards home more efficiently will that fix my problem…?

I hope I make sense haha

Anyway, Priceless Thanks for the help![/quote]

You’re kinda getting it, the problem is not so much that you are tensing your scaps, but that your scap loading timing is a hair off. Ok, so essentially what you are doing is your body is getting ahead of your arm. When this happens you still are trying to throw hard so your scaps still load, but your body is too far ahead so you try and compensate by rotating towards first base as you attempt to get the ball to release point. Watch the Lincecum clip again and notice how quiet his body is.

I’m going to try and find some drills to help, but in the mean time look on Lanky’s log and watch some of his clips. He had a similar problem a year or two ago.

Also try and get a side view of your mechanics, as being only an observer I can’t be for certain if what I saying is what is actually going on. I definitely think it is but I may be wrong, a side view would help a ton

I’ll definitely get a new video up once I can fit in a bullpen session. One thing I’d like to know is how significant this is and maybe a percentage wise/mph it’s taking away from me. Although anything that isn’t perfect in my mechanics I wanna fix right, regardless of how “significant” it is.

I honestly don’t know. Id expect a few mph at least, the main thing will be much better control and command. The thing about velocity is that I have seen guys who throw pretty dang hard as one can develop alot of momentum just not transfer it effectively.

How long will it take you? I don’t know it depends on way to many variables. The positive thing is that you are close. I once heard that their are three types of throwers: a pusher, a spinner and a rotator. Currently I think you are between a spinner and rotator you just need a little bit of work.

BTW I would like to thank Paul Nyman for the simulation I posted earlier.

Here is a video of me from the 9th at Terry Park in Florida. This was the first PG showcase that I’ve attended and I really enjoyed it.

3 innings, no hitter, 5 k’s, 1 walk, 1 hbp

I also hadn’t thrown off a mound since early december. I tried to work on the scap loading more, but I think I need some more bullpen time.[/youtube]

Have you changed anything? The different angles makes it difficult to tell, but this clip looks pretty good. Your breaking ball especially isn’t coming from a lower angle.

The NPA and Tom House suggest the chin/head should go towards the plate throughout the delivery. Paul Nyman (coachxj) and I do not. I do not agree that your misdirected head is “the issue.”

I’m curious how hard you are throwing in these clips?

Edit:

Geez dude PG says you were 87 mph at 6’3" 160lbs. You’ll be throwing low 90s for sure when you add some size to that body. I’m 6’3" 210 and still pretty lean. That should be your top priority at this point, in my opinion. Add 30-40lbs and see where you are velocity-wise a year from now.

I feel like i was staying closed longer compared to the first videos I posted. I worked on that a lot this winter while throwing off flat ground. It’s nice to see it transfered over to the mound.