My mechanics...some thoughts

just wanted some feedback on my mechanics…i got some work on a mound

All in all things look pretty good to me. I did notice that you reach straight ahead and fully extend your lead arm and then drop it blow your waist and it gets behind you as you follow through and finish.

Try bending your lead arm and sight down your elbow to the target line, then pull your glove into your chest as your shoulders begin to rotate. This will help them rotate faster and leave your glove in a much better fielding position on follow through.

u are drifting towards home plate big time, and i would also recomend dont forget about your glove side when your throwing, tuck it in. overall pretty good tho u look like you have good arm action i bet you throw pretty hard

There’s nothing wrong with you “drifting” towards home plate. Staying back is a misconception in pitching today. Watch video of major leaguers and you will see that they “drift” towards the plate also. Even someone like Roger Clemens gets his weight going towards home plate early in his motion. It is your upper body that you want to make sure does not lean towards home plate but as of right now, it looks fine.

Actually the first part of you pitching motion looks very very solid. Everything looks good up to the shoulder rotation. I agree with tfree in the fact that your GS arm action needs some work. I don’t know if I would exaggerate by bringing your glove into your chest. Instead I think that you should try to keep your glove out in front of you and take your chest to the glove. This would put you in a better stacked position and put you in a much stronger position at release point. This may help with generating better arm action and will definately help with control.

I dont get it. After watching tons of pitching videos of major leaguers, all them lean towards home plate. It seems that they get their hips moving sideways.

[quote=“Diesel”]There’s nothing wrong with you “drifting” towards home plate. Staying back is a misconception in pitching today. Watch video of major leaguers and you will see that they “drift” towards the plate also. Even someone like Roger Clemens gets his weight going towards home plate early in his motion. It is your upper body that you want to make sure does not lean towards home plate but as of right now, it looks fine.

Actually the first part of you pitching motion looks very very solid. Everything looks good up to the shoulder rotation. I agree with tfree in the fact that your GS arm action needs some work. I don’t know if I would exaggerate by bringing your glove into your chest. Instead I think that you should try to keep your glove out in front of you and take your chest to the glove. This would put you in a better stacked position and put you in a much stronger position at release point. This may help with generating better arm action and will definately help with control.[/quote]

I think these are good comments. However, I disagree with the earlier “drifting” comment. I don’t see him moving forward until his knee reaches the apex of the knee lift. That’s too late for my liking.

The question is when do they lean forward? Pitchers shouldn’t lean forward early in the delivery. Pitchers should lead with the front hip and keep the head and shoulders slightly behind the front hip into foot plant. Later in the delivery - at about the time the throwing arm snaps forward (from external rotation to internal rotation), the low back releases and the upper body leans forward.

his mechanics look pretty good…only thing is i would stride farther if i were you. You’re a big guy and to me it looked like you let the ball go a bit early. I thin a longer stride will make you release later and from a lower point. and get your legs into it more too. oh btw how did you make it go in slow mo??

I think screwing around with stride length should rarely be done unless you are striding extremely short or extremely long. The reason for this being that your body will find it’s own “comfort zone.” Basically, no matter what posture a pitcher starts in, his body will find a posture he is strong enough to maintain throughout the pitching delivery. By changing one branch in his kinetic chain, you are changing everything else also (including hip/shoulder separation, arm action, etc.) and putting him at an increased risk of injury. That is why I believe that landing position (whether stride length or direction) should rarely be messed with. Instead change what leads up to it. In Chewy’s case, the beginning of his motion looks very solid at this point and the biggest change needs to be getting to a better “stacked” position.

yea i need to work on my stride and make a little longer i’ve noticed in games i get kinda lazy and try to throw too hard and the ball sails high…about the slow mo thing…i have a mac and macs rule hahaha i use imovie