My Mechanics... I'd Love some help

Here is a video of my recent bullpen. I’d love to hear your feedback.

Try to move sideway’s while lifting your leg so that you cab gain more momentum to the plate. You look pretty good just work on lifting and driving the hip at the same time.

It looks like you’re almost stiff arming the ball. I think you should use your elbow a little more. Don’t take my word for it though, wait to see if one of the big wigs agrees.

I’m not exactly sure if my eyes are deceiving me…but it seems like when you bring back your arm you’re almost showing your palm to the ceiling. Again, i really couldn’t tell definitely but that’s the thing that popped into my mind first. But other than that you’re looking pretty good.

You are right the palm is facing the ceiling I stopped it and saw the same thing palm straight up. I don’t have a clue how that could be a problem maybe someone else might know that one?

I’m not exactly sure either…but i know i used to have that problem a while ago and was told to fix it…Also i know of every person saying that the palm should be shown to shortstop for a righty and second base for a lefty

My only guess to how it could hurt is maybe put too much strain the elbow and maybe mess up control. I really don’t know to be honest. Let’s wait for Roger, dm and the other guru’s.

it looks pretty good to me. if you can throw with that motion and no pain, i’d leave it alone.

go to the pitching video section and see if you can find someone there that is similar to your motion. the clips section on this site are invaluable. the beckett, ryan, and koufax clips are very very solid. linceum throws really hard for a little guy but he really arches his back as he comes out of the apex of his delivery. he throws over the top with tremendous hip and shoulder separation following the long stride. easy to explain, extremely tough to do. ryan and beckett have easier motions to simulate if you can get comfortable with them.

spend some time watching the video clips. they are excellent. decide on a motion, then train for arm strength, touch (throwing strikes) and injury prevention.

dusty

why do you bring your pivot leg/foot back with a draw back & slide motion?

Have you been coached to do this?
Is the surface that your starting off on dictate this repositioning?
Is it something that you’ve always done - regardless of rhym or reason?

Coach B.

Some of the best mechanics I’ve seen here… You are far beyond my analysis, let the true experts comment.

[quote=“Coach Baker”]why do you bring your pivot leg/foot back with a draw back & slide motion?

Have you been coached to do this?
Is the surface that your starting off on dictate this repositioning?
Is it something that you’ve always done - regardless of rhym or reason?

Coach B.[/quote]

I was coached to do it when i was really young (like 9 years ago) but at that time i never really pitched (started about 3 years ago). I do tend to do it on every surface.

Is it incorrect and if so are there any drills i can do to fix it?

Without actually standing next to you and observing your style, I’m making observations based on your video and I’ll approximate your height, weight,and your overall command (senses) of balance-n motion.

In the windup position:
Most pitchers have some sort of shuffle – plant movement with their pivot leg/foot. It can be either very slight or extreme. For those that incorporate this movement into their windup – back slide step-n plant, the pivot leg/ foot goes directly under the glove shoulder and glove side hip, which has moved back itself.
In short – you’re moving your entire body back about a good two feet and thus your pivot leg/feet must accommodate this REPOSITIONING of you in order to support your sense of balance and motion as you go through your leg lift and delivery.
Is there anything wrong with this? For some yes, for others no. In your case, you adapt to this TOTAL REPOSITIONING and restructure yourself accordingly. In fact, in your video further on, you settle-in with consistency with your motions and it appears you find some sort of GROOVE for yourself.

With respect to your windup and setup – may I suggest this:
When you feel comfortable with trying something new in your windup routine, stand as you normally do, but this time take a smaller step back or to the side, or oblique. The results will be not asking your balance and other sensory perceptions to making adjustments so early. Instead with a smaller movement, you’re totally focusing on the work at hand. In other words, you’re totally eliminating one of the many things that you have to concentrate on during your windup. Take it slow at first – very, very, very slow. Think of nothing else but----“ I’m not moving so drastically downstairs so my upstairs has to play catch up.”

Other wise, you have things that will improve as time goes on and you become older and stronger. Also, I think you’ll be noticed by someone scouting the college ranks –if you haven’t already, and the resources at that level will polish off the rough edges. Give it time and patience. In addition, helping you along in that regard, review the pitching blogs and helpful hints at the beginning of this site. Nutrition, exercise, the mental approach to out sport, and so on are covered by a very impressive list of coaches and experts in their field.

I wish you the best.

Coach B.

I forgot to add one observation about your glove arm.

In both delivery’s, you tuck your glove arm under your ribs and on your hip. This motion seems to be a compress and hold of your elbow up to your wrist. A lot of pitchers do this at first because of their explosive power - like you. It’s kind of like a reinforcement.

May I suggest that you try this posture with your glove arm:

When you have the time and you feel ready to try something new,
go very,very, very slow with this drill. Just before you complete your release of the ball, think of bringing your glove arm into postion that you normally do - only this time allow your glove arm to release your tension by deliberately bringing the elbow back so it clears the flat of your back.
In other words, as you look in a mirror- sideways, you should notice your glove arm’s elbow sticking out beyond the small of your back. Why? Because this action releases a lot of power generated by your deliver and this action by your glove arm also brings the shoulders around - exchanging the glove side shoulder and …as we say… burying the pitching arm shoulder into the catcher. (we’re talking for fastballs now).

Coach B.

Great point with the glove arm coach.

I would like to say almost everything looks fairly good, however I think you can add momentum into your delievery a little more. I think you can get your hips moving sideways a little early and extend yourself further down the slope.

IMO I do think having the palm up can be a problem. It’s resulting in a catapult of the baseball. Again, IMO I think the pitchers should have their hand on top of the baseball and allow forearm rotation to help gain extension out front with a late wrist snap. Write now, with the palm up his forearm has already rotated.

I think he could throw much harder with proper momentum as well as using later forearm rotation to his advantage.

Thanks guys.

I’ll work on the forearm rotation today for sure and in the next few weeks until it becomes second nature.
I got a question for Coach Baker about the glove arm, is it as simple as just keeping you glove arm in front on your body after the release? Or am I missing the point?

The best way that I know of how to answer your question is to refer you to the beginning section of this site that lists GENERAL PITCHING TOPIC,
PITCHING MECHANICS, etc.

Lower down there is a section called VIDEO CLIPS. What I’d like you to do is to watch the following pitchers. Specifically, watch the glove arm discipline(s). Now I’m not going to narrate each pitcher’s form and posture – but, I am going to point out a common style that they have that brings attention to your question. Those pitchers are Kykle Blair, Andrew Brockman, tom Seaver, Mariano Rivera, and finally Matt Chico.

Notice how Blair, Brockman, Seaver and Rivera all seem to use their glove arm to advance their balance, forward motion, and direction of their momentum — along with other body disciplines. Their arm and glove doesn’t overpower their style nor are they exactly identical. Each of these men has a …tempo and rhythm of their own. But, notice how the glove offers balance right along the same path as their stride leg. Also, pay particular attention at what point the glove starts to curl inward and the stride foot plants itself. Now to address your question directly:
Blair, Brockman, Seaver and Rivera all “exchange” the glove shoulder with the pitching shoulder with explosive force, then — in order for that force to be released by the body— their glove arm instinctively pulls back so the elbow of the glove arm’s elbow breaks the flat level of the small of the back. In fact, I think in some shots you’ll actually see the elbow of the glove arm jut-up quickly at the very end of each pitcher’s delivery routine.

I deliberately left out Matt Chico from the above explanation. Matt Chico’ video Is an excellent example of what happens when all that explosive power after delivery has nowhere to go. Invariability, when the shoulders don’t exchange and the glove arm is tucked into the side and STAYS THERE, the shoulders end up collapsing inward on one another – with the pitcher to the side. Delivery forms like Matt Chico can sometimes signal high maintenance issues down the road in the physical therapy department. Sometimes.

From what I see in your video and your fact-finding here, I believe you have a very bright future in the sport. I see a lot of potential for growth and development. That being said, go slow and easy with your progress – don’t rush things. As you grow and mature so will your ability to respond to changes in your tolerances, your ability to observe and learn. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if you returned to this site some day and let everyone know that you’ve been scouted, expressed an intent in the college game or even as a prospect in the professional game… Nope, it wouldn’t surprise me at all. Best wishes.

Coach B.

When I look at your side-view video, when you’re pitching from the set position, it looks to me as though you come set with your feet somewhat outside the width of your armpits.

As you start your leg lift and forward momentum to the plate, do you ever feel slightly out of balance? If their feet are a little too wide in the set position, the natural compensation that most pitchers would make as they go into leg lift is to lean backward slightly–to counterbalance the extra weight out in front of their center of gravity.

You might want to experiment with coming set and consciously noting where your feet are when you feel most balanced, and where they enable you to go into leg lift and forward motion with good dynamic balance.

I think most guys are optimally balanced in the set position with their feet just armpit-width apart, and the big toe of the posting foot about in line with the arch of the stride foot.

After watching each of the videos (especially Brackman’s) I’m about 90% sure that I follow what you’re saying and what immediately came to mind Was John Smoltz. After watching some of a video of him I’m pretty that I know what needs to be done, Thanks again Coach B

Here’s my take…

Overall, I see some good things and some things I think can be improved. Some good things:

(1) It looks like you’ve got a great arm.
(2) You seem to have decent control.
(3) I happen to really like the way your glove turns over and firms up out front. The timing of this firming up coincides with the throwing arm coming forward and creates a stable base for the throwing arm to throw against.

Areas for improvement:

(1) When in the stretch, your starting position causes you to make a significant weight shift back toward 2B before when you lift your knee. I like that your knees are slightly bent with a slight forward bend at the waist as that puts you in an athletic posture. But I think you need to start with your feet closer together. Also, shift the stride foot so that it is closer to 3B than your pivot foot. These two adjustments will allow you to lift your knee without the weight shift toward 2B and with less head movement in general.

(2) You stride to the throwing arm side and that may contribute to your leaning-to-the-glove-side posture at release as your upper half leans to get back in line with the target. I can’t really see the rubber in the video but I will suggest you move to the glove side of the rubber. Move enough to get your back foot drag line to end on the centerline of the rubber.

(3) I don’t think you’re getting enough out of your lower half and, as a result, you throw with too much arm. (This may explain some of the other comments about your arm action.) You need to build more momentum as that creates the energy to transfer up through the body and into the ball. Start by getting your hips moving toward the target sooner. Currently, you don’t start forward until the peak of your knee lift. (And that’s partly due to (1) above.) Try starting the hips forward slightly before the peak of your knee lift. Make sure you don’t sacrifice your knee lift. Keep in mind that the more stuff you do before you start forward, the bigger jump you give baserunners.

ROGER made an excellent outline for you to study. I would suggest printing that response out and taking it with you to your practice sessions. However, if you have a high school coach, Legion coach or other type of coach - use your best judgement in following ROGER’s advice. Some coaches have an issue with coaching styles and techniques from other people. It can be a control issue for these men - plain and simple.
In additon, it seems as though you’ve had some sort of dedicated coaching in the past. Some of your moves/style shows instruction from some level of competition.
Again, ROGER’s advice is right on the money, just be careful when referring to this advice when your under the tutelage of another coach. And by no means bring this or any other advice to the attention of another coach in the high school, Legion or other competitive levels in a way that contradicts or says in so many words… “you’re wrong coach – see ROGER says do it this way!”
However, by the looks of things you impress me as a young man that can filter any problem like that out diplomatically.

Coach B.

Thanks for the input guys. Last year was really the first year I have pitched a good number of innings. I worked hard under a good coach at to get my mechanics to the way they are today. Now, I workout with a group of guys a few times a week in which we are free to work on whatever we want to. I will probably post a video in a month or two to show progress. Thanks again for the advice again.