My Mechanics (HS Junior) VID*

I made my schools varsity team as a pitcher.
Here are my mechanics

It gets more game like as the video goes on. no catcher either :frowning:

I’m a little confused on something. Should I try to throw really hard or should I throw more relaxed and just cruise?

Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated.

Edit* Watching it again, i think the 3rd and 4th pitches are sliders, not sure though.

[quote=“carazymcmahon”]I made my schools varsity team as a pitcher.

I’m a little confused on something. Should I try to throw really hard or should I throw more relaxed and just cruise?

Any advice on anything would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]

if you really try to throw hard your gonna hurt your arm, if you want to throw really hard use your legs to generate the power

I think you look pretty good but I have a couple comments for you…

(1) In the stretch, start with your feet closer together. This let you eliminate the weight shift towards 2B when you lift your knee. Runners on 1B will see this and take off right away. Having the feet closer will also probably let you be quicker throwing over to 1B.

(2) You back foot drag line finishes to the throwing arm side so I’d move you to the glove side of the rubber. Getting your drag line to end on the centerline of the rubber will help avoid postural issues at release.

Very nice (tall, fall and pull) mechanics. You might be able to get off the rubber a little cleaner without so much drag…you probably wear the toe of your shoes out quite a bit. Get a bucket, open your stance like you were stretching down the mound (maybe 4 feet for you, maybe more if you can do the drill, I know you are naturally farther down the mound) put the bucket right in front of your right knee and your right foot should be right behind the bucket, work on transfering your weight to the front foot and work on kicking your foot straight up and balance in that position for just a second before putting it down. A good pitcher to watch would be Curt Schilling…

Your speed seems to be very good so I don’t think you need to throw harder, work on taking 10 mph off the fastball for a great change up.

What’s wrong with dragging the back toe? Most of the top pitchers in the game do it. Curt Schilling does lift his back foot off the ground instead of dragging it but he is really more the exception than the rule. When ever I see a pitcher whose back foot doesn’t drag, I immediately look for posture and balance issues (including the top half getting out front early and/or too far) as well as timing issues causing early rotation.

Also, if you really look closely, I think you’ll see that the back foot comes around is much the same slot as the throwing arm. And that makes sense as it

[quote=“Roger”]
(2) You back foot drag line finishes to the throwing arm side so I’d move you to the glove side of the rubber. Getting your drag line to end on the centerline of the rubber will help avoid postural issues at release.[/quote]
I think it’s amazing that you can tell that from that angle on a bad quality video. My coach thinks that the far right for a righty is really important since it creates a much better angle when facing rh batters, so today we worked on stepping directly towards (or a little closed) home in my pen. I’ve never had as much command on the outside as I did today.
*You never know who you can trust on these forums but you (and some others) seem to reallllly know what you’re talking about. Thanks.

Does anybody see anything that could potentially be harmful? Particularly the elbow.

[quote=“buwhite”]
Your speed seems to be very good so I don’t think you need to throw harder, work on taking 10 mph off the fastball for a great change up.[/quote]
I cruise in the high 70’s, sometimes low 80’s but when I said “throwing really hard” I meant the physical effort put into the pitch, I know not to throw hard with just the arm. Should I go all out or pace myself?

And of course, is there an efficient way that I could add noticeable velocity other than reps and throwing? I’m thinking something with shoulder separation or weight transfer timing but I dunno.

[quote]I think you look pretty good but I have a couple comments for you…

(1) In the stretch, start with your feet closer together. This let you eliminate the weight shift towards 2B when you lift your knee. Runners on 1B will see this and take off right away. Having the feet closer will also probably let you be quicker throwing over to 1B. [/quote]

hey Roger im a lefty but when I lift my knee it goes slightly toward by back shoulder wouldn’t it give me a better load or will runners catch it easily?