My Mechanics, 16 yr old

Here is a new video of my mechanics. Still not from a mound, however.

I took a still frame showing my external rotation, which I would like to say improved from my old video.

External Rotation Picture: http://i.imgur.com/UDr0S.png
Old Video: http://www.letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=137674&highlight=#137674

Any thing I’m doing that would be causing my bicep to become sore/painful? Recently whenever I pitch/long toss I will feel pain in my bicep. My shoulder never hurts, it is my bicep. Also, will this video be acceptable to upload to a recruiting site like berecruited.com? I have a premium account, but have no footage uploaded.

Laugh,

Two things I see right off is your posture and glove side control.

You seem to be falling off toward first a bit much. Try to stay more in line with home and drive toward the catcher.

You need to control your glove side better. The glove side should lead toward the plate and finish closer to your chest. That’s bringing your chest to the glove not the glove to the chest.

Bicep pain can be the result of a lot of things, one of the more common causes is squeezing the baseball, or muscling up through your arm action. If this is a persistent problem, it’s always a good idea to consult a medical professional.

When submitting a recruiting video, IMO, you need to:
Throw from a mound wearing spikes.
Show more than one pitch, from different angles.
Throw to a catcher, be sure to video from behind the catcher.
Dress more in uniform, including cap.

Hey Laugh,

I’d ask you to think about how your hip position feels at leg lift. When you rotate your back side toward the target, you make a very slight dropping tipping adjustment with your hips. This affects your stride and your hip rotation.

You do a nice job with timing and have a good final leg thrust. But I’d love to see you eliminate the over rotation at leg lift. If you can just keep your hips level and side on to your target, I think you’ll be then able to make important improvements in 3 areas: 1. maintaining a more upright posture with torso over hips at landing, 2. timing/speed/comfort/ease of hip rotation and 3. speed up lead leg action.

Your posture, hip position and lead leg action seems to be at odds with your intentions. That is, you seem to be intent on making a viscous, explosive move to the plate. That’s great! But your lead leg is stepping over and slow and (though I’d love a true side on shot) your hip and torso seem a little locked up.

Again, I think it is so because of your preparatory positioning at leg lift. When you turn your back to the plate, you aim your front hip to the third base side of the target. Then, when you jut your front hip out you change your hip angle again, this time adding pitch to it.

Do some trials and see if you can feel what I am saying.

One demonstration I use to help players recognize this is I ask them to hold their hands out as if they were on a table, palms down and fingers spread. Now I have them put each thumb, on their hips at belt level so that their thumbs are on a line pointing straight through their hip and their fingers are spread out on a plane that is parallel to the ground.

Now rotate so that your numbers show to the plate. See how your hip line goes off target? Now bend your support knee and jut your hip out the way you do and see how your hip plane tips up?

One effect of doing this is that your head drops very slightly. Another effect of this is that your balance and posture changes very slightly to compensate for this unnatural hip position. Slight differences matter when you are trying to make the fastest human movements possible.

Now, if you’re going to stride forward and then rotate to your target, you need to spend some or all of that drive time correcting your hip angle. This correction requires posture changes and a head height adjustment. Doing all of this is very challenging.

Lastly, relax your left foot.

Don’t think I am being nit-picky. All of the above is great news! It means that if you can make small adjustments and straighten out a bit, then experiment with a faster lead leg and foot turn, you could enter into a great new phase!

I probably wouldn’t hit you with all of this in one lesson, but I would definitely start with the hip.

Oh, and remember to rehearse the changes you hope to make in small increments in your mind at full speed and intensity before you attempt them. Feel what it feels like to do what you want to do first, then do it.

Mental rehearsal is the single most underused source of improvement in pitching today.

Chris
www.PitchersWorkshop.com