My lesson

My first video post -

A lesson I had today.

Guess I should’ve asked for some comments?

I like your top, bottom needs work (Are those cleats or turf shoes??). You have to be mid to upper 80’s, well I suspect it anyway. To get through the wall you have to get the bottom working with the top as efficiently as you have the top going. You do get some momentum but it is…incomplete (I think would describe it best). You get it started just aren’t getting much from it. See if the thought of loading more and thinking about a bit more stride with enough mo behind it to drive you up on to it (Think soft bend to driven on top of) makes sense to you.
Other wise I’d say your hard work has had some excellent results.

Well what I see.

I see a “pie thrower” type arm action. You circle up after hand break, and you push the ball through release. You don’t get a lot of forearm “layback” because of this which eliminates any “whip” effect for the arm.

I see “degrees of freedom” issues with regards to your rotation as you move out i.e a spin/block pattern (in other words your core rotates as a unit with little separation as you throw). This is evident when you see how you finish (the last frame where it is paused shows your rear hip/leg being “pulled” forward because of the lack of hip/torso separation.

Need to do a lot of specific drill work to address these issues (i.e backwards chaining). Lankylefty has a lot of good drills in his blog to try.

So the three things I have to work on are:

1. More momentum from my lower half.

This has been a problem for me and I have improved it a little - I’ll keep working on it and hopefully it will continue to get better. Been looking for drills - but not much out there.

1. Better hip & shoulder separation.

I’ll go back to Woolforth’s video and see what he has to say. He has some backward chaining work that I haven’t been doing - guess it is time to start.

1. Increase flexibility so I can get better external shoulder rotation. The arm flattening that 101 talked about.

I had my father talk to a physical therapist at my sister’s soccer practice & the PT said shoulder flexibility can be increased but you need to be careful not to sacrifice stability (strength). She suggested doing the following routine - warm-up, static shoulder stretches, shoulder strengthening exercises, more stretching, and finally cool down. She also said not to ignore the neck muscles since these can influence shoulder flexibility.

No school tomorrow - Christmas Break

101mph - when you mention LankyLefty’s Hip/Shoulder backward chaining drills are you referring to the ones that he just recently posted within the last two or three weeks?

[quote=“jdfromfla”]I like your top, bottom needs work (Are those cleats or turf shoes??). You have to be mid to upper 80’s, well I suspect it anyway. To get through the wall you have to get the bottom working with the top as efficiently as you have the top going. You do get some momentum but it is…incomplete (I think would describe it best). You get it started just aren’t getting much from it. See if the thought of loading more and thinking about a bit more stride with enough mo behind it to drive you up on to it (Think soft bend to driven on top of) makes sense to you.
Other wise I’d say your hard work has had some excellent results.[/quote]

I haven’t been gunned since July - I was throwing high 70s low 80s then. I hope I am in the mid-80s that would put me at one goal I set for myself.

I see the arm action thing 101 mentioned.

My approach would be to improve other aspects of your delivery and let the arm adapt/improve on its own.

Thanks to 101’s images, I see a sequencing issue - your hips and shoulders rotate together instead of hips before shoulders. The cause? Probably a posture change (watch the path your head takes) and a loose glove.

Do a better job of getting the glove arm extended out front to mirror the throwing arm, keep it there as close to foot plant as possible (increasing your tempo will help make that easier), and stabilizing the glove out front better are what I think you need to focus on.

To increase your tempo, I’d have you start with a tiny bit more bend at the knees and waist. Think “batting stance”. Then get those hips moving a tiny bit faster.

how does it feel to you. sometimes i see good effort at the end to release, and sometimes a little cruise or slightly less effort just before release.

a couple of things you might consider, i also see some more leverage from your waist down. keep that flex in the knees and use those legs. what i see is a very good start and then when you begin to come forward down the hill, your upper body takes over to put effort into the pitch. if you can be patient and quiet with your upper body i think you have another gear in there. let the legs and trunk bring the shoulder and arm along (this is called delaying rotation and all world class pitchers have it). just let your arm and shoulder go along for the ride. think throw the ball with my thighs and trunk. i think you’ll be surprised.

other thing is i would land with the front toe slightly closed. i think you are landing open. it doesn’t matter if you land heel first, flat or ball first, it is important to land slightly closed. the vast majority of the guys i see that can really throw land this way.

keep at it and post some new video in a couple of weeks. looks like you have a nice arm. turn that body up and the arm down. it’s a whip, not a muscle. looks like you’re muscling. common in guys that really want to throw hard.

Wohoo! 8)

Yes. It’s on this page:

http://letstalkpitching.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5449&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=228

Look for “Lanky drill” reference.

I think this is what Dusty is talking about:

:slight_smile: