My Journal

So, as I said on my introduction, I’m from Venezuela, 18 (about to be 19) years old and I’m currently living in Kansas. I came here when I was 17 back in 2009, throwing 86-87 MPH and in great shape. I was supposed to play Baseball last year, but a lot of things were going on, from family problems back home to self discouragement, since I though I wasn’t going able to play anymore.

I decided two months ago that I wanted to play Baseball again, I’m still young and even though I got a lot of body fat (those BK Stackers are lethal), and the fact that I haven’t throw in a while, I’m confident enough that I can make it to the team this fall here at the JUCO I’m studying at.

Currently I’m throwing around 80-83 MPH, and the only thing that saves me is my circle change that throwing it low is a good weapon that in my opinion should never be underrated. I also have a decent moving Slider that sometimes acts more like a cutter but that’s because of the mechanics. That’s another problem, since all this time without practicing, working out or anything, my mechanics are worse than ever.

Well, i’m going to throw today a bullpen session of 45 pitches with a friend from the team indoor since it is raining, and I’m probably going to use an artificial mound which I really hate.

So I’ll post how it was and if I can make a video of it I’ll share it with you guys.

Well, I couldn’t throw today, but tomorrow at 6:00PM I will.

Since I didn’t workout today, because I was going to rest lifting for this day, would be recommendable to do arm exercises tomorrow before throwing or it would be too stressful for my arm?

It has been more than a year since I posted anything on here.

I sustained a shoulder injury that took more than 6 months to recover.

Two days ago I went to play with a couple of friends and I got measured at 86 MPH on a Juggs radar gun. Throwing 82-85 constant.

I lost my Tuff Cuff book, but I think I might know somebody who owns one and can lend it to me.

I also left Kansas, now I’m living in NJ.

I hope to post some progress here.

Take care.

Did some BP since I want to improve my batting skills, and threw around the bases, nothing hard. The maximum distance today was from 2B to Home Plate.

Also sprinted for 10 seconds, 10 times, plus a light dumbbell workout (5~15 lbs).

My shoulder feels great.

After the “practice”, drank 5 grams of Creatine and a serving of BSN Syntha 6.

Take care.

Are you running? This summer I have figured out that just because I thought I was in shape, I didn’t know what in shape meant. I’m getting there but it’s going to be another year of daily running and workouts to get me there.

Good luck…I found it funny you were in Kansas, that is where I am. Well enjoy NJ now.

[quote=“buwhite”]Are you running? This summer I have figured out that just because I thought I was in shape, I didn’t know what in shape meant. I’m getting there but it’s going to be another year of daily running and workouts to get me there.

Good luck…I found it funny you were in Kansas, that is where I am. Well enjoy NJ now.[/quote]

Well, not “running” as of several miles a day. I’m starting “easy” so I won’t be so sore and then skip training days because of that.

Tomorrow I will jump rope for 30 minutes, and probably do some ab crunches. I’m gonna get back my TuffCuff book from a friend who borrowed it (I don’t remember that) and start getting serious with the Plyometric exercises.

I guess that reaching 86 MPH after stopping working out for more than a year means that I must be doing something right :smiley:

I was in Liberal, KS then moved to Salina, KS and now I’m in the Jersey Shore, trying to stay away from guidos.

Take care.

Well, today was a pretty “special” and eventful day.

I woke up at 6:30 and went to take some pictures outside with my camera and tripod. Came back at about 7:20 AM, then ate some breakfast:

1 cup of Oats with 2 cups of Skim Milk. Blended and added a little thingy of Splenda.
3 hard boiled eggs.
1 glass of Orange Juice (Approx 1 1/2 cups).

I also took my daily dose of Opti-Men multivitamin, as well as a daily dose of Fish Oil and one pill of L-Carnitine.

At about 10:30 AM, I had a protein shake mixed with Skim Milk. I don’t know how many of you have tried the BSN Syntha-6 protein, but the Vanilla Ice Cream flavor tastes awesome!

For lunch I had fish (a fillet, about half a pound) just because I went fishing (surf casting) and got it (Sea Bass). On the side, Salad with a vinaigrette that I made with Olive Oil and Balsamic-Tarragon vinegar.

I went to work out at about 3:00 PM and started by using the recumbent bike for half an hour instead of the rope jumping (I didn’t feel like jumping in place today), and then went to the weight machines where I worked out legs and lower body in general. Not too heavy but not lady-like either.

I finished at 4:25, then I drank some protein+creatine and headed to the field. Until that point everything was alright.

I arrived to the field and my friend was waiting for me with his catching gear on. Pretty weird if you ask me. I warmed up and started throwing when a guy arrived and seated near where we were on the side bullpens of the field, laughing.

I finished the bullpen session of 35 pitches, and according to my friend, I was around 83-85 MPH. I’ll take that, for now.

When I was finishing, the guy who was seating nearby told me I could never be a pitcher because I am 20 years old and “only” 5’11 tall. I just said thanks for the advice and went to the car and left.

Once I arrived home and took a cold shower, I realized while putting some dishes on a shelve that my right shoulder (throwing arm), makes this funny popping noise, and although there’s no pain or lack of motion, annoys the heck out of me. I’m going to rest my arm for a day or two and if the popping noise persists I’m going to a chiropractor. I’d better off without taking any chances.

What do you guys think could be that popping noise?

Take care,

Miguel.

P.S: sorry if I made any grammatical mistake, but English is not my first language. :wink:

I took the day off yesterday. Packing stuff since I came back to Kansas the other day to finish moving all my stuff to NJ.

This Saturday and Sunday there are some games from a club-like kind of thing in NYC called RBI Baseball. Try outs with a 25 pitch light bullpen + some basic fielding/batting practice. I’m already in the team, it’s just “protocol”. They need some reinforcement since they just started playoffs and are lacking pitchers.

I will probably have my first game on Sunday, the first in a very long while; but hopefully the first of many more to come.

My role will probably be relief pitcher, although I might have a start since I think we’ll have a double-header on Sunday.

The field will be the one at Fordham University on Brooklyn, I think.

So yeah, I just wanted to update my log.

My shoulder’s feeling alright, creatine plus light workouts and proper rest helps a lot.

I’ll make my girlfriend record a video of my try out bullpen so you guys can see it. I’m pretty excited about it. Finally since I came from Venezuela, I’ll be able to play.

There are a couple of Dominican guys who throw about 90-92 MPH, which is good since I want to get as much in-person advice as possible.

I’ll keep you guys informed, hope you had a great weekend.

Cheers,

Miguel.

Have you talked to the HC at the JUCO or are you planning on just showing up and trying to walk-on?

The RBI program is pretty good from what I’ve heard.

My bad, didn’t see the dates on the posts.

So what are you planning on doing with Baseball? School, Indy ball?

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]My bad, didn’t see the dates on the posts.

So what are you planning on doing with Baseball? School, Indy ball?[/quote]

School. I know it might sound silly since many people who play D1 baseball never, or almost never stop practicing to get there, but I’m dreaming with getting into Yale, Princeton or Columbia (any Ivy League University) and play ball for them. I’m not quite sure about how competitive they are on Ivy League conferences but I am looking forward to play on a place where I’ll enjoy both Academic and Atlethics.

I’ll check that RBI thing out, and I’ll keep you guys informed. When I record that video, I’ll make sure to use that App for analyzing posture and all that. I’m pretty sure I need A LOT of help.

That’s a pretty lofty goal. Ivy League recruiting isn’t like any other D1 conference because its academics are so strong.

My summer coach is an assistant for Yale and he only recruits people who are academically qualified. They can’t just tell admissions that they have a stud player and get him in the school automatically.

I wish you good luck! I wanna play for one of those super smart schools, too, like Yale or Harvard. I know not much people really root for those teams, but I don’t care. I just wanna play ball while getting a good education.

[quote=“2013LHP”]That’s a pretty lofty goal. Ivy League recruiting isn’t like any other D1 conference because its academics are so strong.

My summer coach is an assistant for Yale and he only recruits people who are academically qualified. They can’t just tell admissions that they have a stud player and get him in the school automatically.[/quote]

That is pretty cool. I love Yale University.

I understand about the Academics, and I hope that with the 2250 I’ve got on the SAT I’m able to get in there. I would also like to get there as a freshman.

Good luck man. It is a lofty goal and it honestly is one of the most difficult leagues to play in because of the extra workload of how hard,the academics are.

Check out the high school baseball web and its message boards there’s been a few guys who are on there that have their sons playing in the ivy league. They’ll be able to help you out with how their sons got there. Ones screen name is fenwaysouth.

I hope this helps you out.

Be sure to keep us posted.

Thank you.

I’ve been gone for a while, first working during the summer and then getting ready to get my green card. I haven’t been able to throw much since I moved here to New Jersey. Is there anyone who lives around Wall/Manasquan, NJ? I would love someone to practice with.

I’m going to the gym, mostly to lose fat since I gain a bit of weight during the summer. My goal is to be at 175-180 and I’m currently at 193 lbs. I’m 5’11 tall, 20 years old. Last time I threw, I was clocked at 85 mph. Hopefully I haven’t lost a whole lot of velocity since that would really discourage me.

I still have my TuffCuff book and I’m following a diet taken from there.

Hope to fill any updates soon.

Take care,

Miguel.

I played catch today with a friend of mine. I was able to throw up to 220 ft comfortably, on a fairly straight motion. I tried 300 ft and I reached my friend bu I had to lob the ball a lot.

His opinion is that my fastball is around the low-mid 80s so that’s good, I guess. Not a whole lot of damage to speed. Need to improve my mechanics… Drastically :lol: