My converting from a reliever to a starter.

Most of my pitching career I have been the guy that comes in for an inning or 2 in a blow-out. I don’t want that anymore. My coach was a starter for Duke until he blew out his shoulder. He told me that I have the potential to do it. I throw a 4 and 2 seam fastball and changeup, a knuckle curve and a splitter. This my journal of my progress and journey to becoming a Varsity baseball player.

I am 14 years old and I play baseball for the Ohio Havoc. I’m a 8th grader and I’m 5-10 and 200 lbs. I also play 1st and 3rd base and hit 4th. Most of my team will play 9th grade baseball this year for their schools even though they are technically 14. Me and a few other teammates won’t get that opportunity because of our age. I feel this is my advantage. I will be able to take more hitting lessons and have longer bullpen sessions because I won’t play until mid-May. I’m taking this time to become a 3 hitter, option at shortstop or outfield, and become a starting pitcher. I will post updates on everything I do to get there so I can maybe help other kids like me.

Wish me luck as I would to you.

Good luck and I look forward to reading your posts

No major throwing today. I stretched and worked on mechanics. Basketball practice was pretty much my conditioning today. I’m feeling pretty good. My arm is feeling strong and my windup and load is feeling fluid. Good day overall.

A lot of stretching/conditioning today. A little mechanics work. Had a lot of homework and prep for basketball game tomorrow. Got the game then a fitting for unis after. This is gonna be sweet!

You hit 4 now but you want to move to the 3 spot? I am confused, why, 4 spot is where you want the guy who drives in runs. Are you more a hit hard on the ground type hitter or line drive hitter?

Since your trying to become a starter for your team aren’t you worried about injuring yourself by playing basketball?

Also when are you planning on starting a throwing program and weight lifting program? The clock is ticking the longer you don’t start the more someone else is getting an advantage over you.

The reason I play basketball is the same reason I play football. I want to stay in condition throughout the year and I enjoy playing those sports so I play football for my school in the fall and basketball for a rec team in the winter. Will I eventually quit those sports to focus on baseball? Yes, but untill then I’ll play them to force myself to stay in shape. Do I worry about injuries? Yes, but that’s life. I could land awkwardly and shred my ACL, I could fall and break my wrist, I could get a concussion but couldn’t that happen anyway? God’s plan is God’s plan and I’m bound to get injured sometime so I’d rather do it working hard instead of messing around. I love baseball and it comes first for me but I do want to be well rounded in life.

On terms of a throwing program I’m currently on pitch once a week. I will start throwing more into February and March. On the weights and stuff, I do pushups and I’m almost finished setting up my Bow Flex.

Thank you for your concern about me. I’m an 8th grader so I don’t have too much of a need to overdo it. Will next year be different? Yes I will have H.S workouts plus what I normally do. Again thank you and I will talk about how I pitched tonight later.

The reason I play basketball is the same reason I play football. I want to stay in condition throughout the year and I enjoy playing those sports so I play football for my school in the fall and basketball for a rec team in the winter. Will I eventually quit those sports to focus on baseball? Yes, but untill then I’ll play them to force myself to stay in shape. Do I worry about injuries? Yes, but that’s life. I could land awkwardly and shred my ACL, I could fall and break my wrist, I could get a concussion but couldn’t that happen anyway? God’s plan is God’s plan and I’m bound to get injured sometime so I’d rather do it working hard instead of messing around. I love baseball and it comes first for me but I do want to be well rounded in life.

On terms of a throwing program I’m currently on pitch once a week. I will start throwing more into February and March. On the weights and stuff, I do pushups and I’m almost finished setting up my Bow Flex.

Thank you for your concern about me. I’m an 8th grader so I don’t have too much of a need to overdo it. Will next year be different? Yes I will have H.S workouts plus what I normally do. Again thank you and I will talk about how I pitched tonight later.

Practice tonight. I think I’m throwing to hitters tonight. #hyped

Threw pretty well tonight. I struck out a couple got some outs. I was nervous pitching against hitters for the first time in a while. My coach said I looked good mechanically. I threw pretty hard even though I was only throwing about 80%. Good day.

What were you working on when you were facing live hitters?

How many pitches did you throw?

What did you throw?

What do you feel you need to work on to improve on to make yourself better after facing live hitters?

How was your ball to strike ratio?

How many guys did you start off with a strike?

How was your location? How many guys did you walk or would you of walked if it had been a real game?

How did you feel when you were done facing live hitters?

I ask all of these questions because your post was fairly vague and I’d like to know more. These are some basic questions and things that you should take note of everytime you step on the mound.

I was working on strikes and my splitter.

I threw 26 pitches.

I threw a 4 seam and 2 seam fastball and changeup, a knuckle curve and a splitter.

I need to throw a better 2 seam fastball (strikes) and I need to throw my curve a little better.

2:1 pretty poor but I was not very wild. I was constantly missing down.

My location was great with fastball and splitter. Change and curve need work. I walked 2 guys (both 3-2 counts). I would have walked one but no one swung at any of my off speed. I’m not sure if they were nervous or really that selective.

I felt pretty comfortable but I just struggled down low. I didn’t miss high which is good but a lot of pitches were low.

Thank you for all the comments you’ve made on my posts. I’m pretty new at this blogging stuff and I’m very new to this sight. I do appreciate it and I take every word of yours into consideration.

No problem for the comments your young and have a lot to learn and you need as much help as you can to reach your goals. I’ve been through it so anything I can do to help is fine by me.

I still think 5 pitches is too many for a kid your age especially if your having control issues like you did in this past pen you threw.

You are right, good to miss down if anywhere, especially don’t leave it over the plate. I agree with Wales, find more control not more pitches, get control and velocity with your FB’s and Changeup, develop more velocity that will make you a tougher pitcher to hit.

Thanks guys. I was talking with my coach and he said my future pens are going to be more fastball and changeup mixing because those are my best pitches. I bought an atec backstop to work with outside of practice. I’m obviously not gonna throw curves and splitters to it because a strike with a curveball is a homer.I’m going to work on fastballs and chandgeups and maybe splits with that.

Aside from pens what are you doing throwing program wise? Have you started a long toss program?

I throw long toss 2 times a week now but once its stops freezing outside I’ll go out every other day (pending on games/pitching appearences of course) and long toss.

Are you doing any band work or any of the 5lbs. dumb bell routine? How often do you throw pens? Any flat ground pens?

I have been on an irregular schedule lately due to my dads surgery and multiple projects in school. My schedule might be back to normal Sunday. As far as dumbells, no I don’t have any but I do try to work out 2 hours a day whether it’s my bow flex or something else. I throw pens once a week in December and January (I don’t throw in November), I throw pens twice a week from Febuary to April, then I throw pens as often as possible (game and injury pending) from May to October. As far as flat pens, I throw one 10 pitch flat pen of all fastballs 2 days a week outside (I live in Ohio so this normally starts in March). I throw more longtoss then flat pens to be honest. Should that be switched?

No, throwing more Long Toss is good for your arm strength.

What do you work on on your flats location, spin, movement?

You have to start to strengthen your shoulder muscles and tendons. Get a band program going along with the light dumb bell routine it will help you out in the long run.