My Confidence Is Gone

I’m 17 years old and a senior in high school. I was at this fair near my area this past saturday and they had this fast pitch thing where you could see how fast you could throw. They had a radar gun and the guy said that it was dead accurate and he seemed to have that attitude that I know it’s accurate. I asked him and he said he drove his car by it going right at 50 MPH and it read 50.1 MPH. Anyways I pitched as hard as I could and only hit 70 MPH. I thought for sure I could throw harder than this because I pitch pretty well in high school and usually known for striking out a lot of hitters. I know that speed isn’t the only thing that strikes guys out but generally harder pitchers seem to rack up more K’s. I am just kind of depressed because I thought I could throw harder than I did. The fastest person there threw 78 so I wasn’t that far from the top. The town the fair was in is known for great baseball players. Well what do you guys think? What do you think the chances are that the gun wasn’t accurate? How much could I gain from now until next season? Thanks For Your Time…

Don’t feel bad at all. Those radar guns are not accurate atall. Ive done them myself. The thing is if u throw harder then that from a ptching mound then dont u think that u would throw substantially harder since u were way closer to your target. I mean cmon these are carnies, there gonna tell u whatever u wanna hear to get your money. They are extremely inaccurate, i know cause i pitch anywhere from 85-87 at this point and ive gotten readings like 65, 68, 72…so i dont let it get to me i just do it to have fun not clock myself.

I tend to think those things are rather accurate, but I wouldn’t worry about it… I’m 28 and the only time I’ve ever been timed is on those types of things, and I’ve never topped 75 and yet I still get guys to swing and miss at my fastball.

Yea I know that off of flat ground I can top out between 78-82 and I usually get readings like 68, 69, 72. It makes me mad but they aren’t terribly accurate.

As long as you’re doing good in games thats all that maters.

most important keys in pitching in order:

1. Location

2. Movement

3. Velocity

I started pitching last lear and was only throwing low 70’s, now im pulling high 80’s with hard work…does this mean any thing…no…do you know why?

because i can only hit my spots 70% of the time, i want to be hitting them 95%.

Work hard at it and youll be throwing as fast as you want to, but location is key!

my best is 91, 95 with a crow hop, they might accurate, if you go high, their not

That’s funny you say that because I was throwing the ball rather high. This probably happened because of trying to overthrow. I hope it is wrong. People say I throw hard and I have a good arm. It just really got to me, I don’t know why though… Anymore opinions?

How bout… don’t expect expert advice from an idiot, you get what you pay for, instead of getting your talent checked by Bozo the clown why don’t you save up a few bucks and go to a reputable pitching coach and have him give you a look.
And for goodness sakes do not let some carney ruin your day…he forgot you on his next mark. :wink:

Missing high suggests rushing which suggests overthrowing.

Power comes from the hips rotating ahead of the shoulders, not from the speed (or length) of the stride.

Missing high suggests rushing which suggests overthrowing.

Power comes from the hips rotating ahead of the shoulders, not from the speed (or length) of the stride.[/quote]

NO, power is a combination of speed and strength. Power is NOT how much separation or the timing of separation regarding the upper and lower. This is what enhances/aids POTENTIAL power or contribute to power it is NOT what makes or builds power. Instead it is about RELEASING power/energy that is built/stored. How well one performs certain manuevers with regard to mechanics and timing is about efficiency. You have to learn to be able to discern between two totally different entities. Although they may be intertwined inso much as how the two work together [one facilitates enhances the other] but power and mechanics are two different animals. In otherwords if a pitcher does not have the potential/strength to power himself all the separation between the upper and lower is not going to make a difference ESPECIALLY once his power source is all tapped out. In fact we may be reading about a serious lack of strength/power right in this thread. Eventually you will learn that baseball players NEED to be training to acheive higher levels of power. This is NOT going to come from learning how to separate the upper/lower. Learning this may help facilitate/distribute potential power but it is NOT the pancea for building power. It is the panacea for DISTRIBUTING power that has been built and stored. If the pitcher does NOT have the strength to begin with he may find that certain elements within his delivery may be lacking. It may be due to inefficient mechanics but those may be due to a lack of strength which for some IS the cause of inefficient mechanics. Fix one the other may fix itself or at least make it possible to enhance the other.

BINGO!!!

[quote=“Chris O’Leary”]Power comes from the hips rotating ahead of the shoulders, not from the speed (or length) of the stride.[/quote]Chris. As I’ve stated in another thread when you made this statement yet again, hip/shoulder separation is not a SUFFICIENT condition for velocity generation. No single component that is extracted from the delivery is responsible for power generation. ALL must be put together into a unified whole. It’s an equation with many, many variables, separation being only one of them. It’s an important one, I will agree, but it’s not enough by itself. It’s about conditioning, timing, mechanics, separation, strength, speed of movement, fluidity of transfer of momentum, intent, how one converts linear momentum into rotation, strategy, hitting spots, changing speeds, etc., etc., etc. I’m sure many out there could add to this list.

Change one variable and you change the output of the equation. One can have less than ideal mechanics and still generate velocity by maximizing the use of the other variables. One can also have excellent separation between hips and shoulders and throw in the 40’s.

If it were that simple Chris, why would we have all of these discussion boards, guru’s and arguments?

Why isn’t it easy to get to the bigs if that’s all it takes?

Chin, this is an excellent point and one that I feel too many people fail to appreciate. Young kids, in particular, lack the strength to perform all of the mechanics well yet so many coaches fail to recognize this and, therefore, never do the things necessary to resolve it. They have their kids do drills to work on the mechanics instead of addressing the strength (and flexibility) issues that are hindering the mechanics. Then they wonder why they don’t see the mechanics improving.

First, I don’t worry that much about velocity as long as my guys are striking hitters out. My 11 YO son doesn’t throw that hard, and he strikes out more guys than anybody when he’s on (e.g. 6 K’s in 2 innings). He does this by being relentless about keeping the ball down and away.

Second, how old are you, how tall are you, how much do you weigh, and how big is your father?

Third, it isn’t that hard to pick up a few MPH by getting your mechanics right. Most importantly, that means getting your hips rotating well before your shoulders so that you throw with your body and not just your arm. There are a number of guys on this site who I believe have picked up 5 to 10 MPH by getting their mechanics right.

Do you have a video of yourself throwing?

You never know what you are going to get from one of those booths. You seldom know if they are using a gun or a speedchek type unit. You don’t usually know what angle they are set up at. I was at a A’s vs. Giants game and they had one set up with a Stalker gun. However, the gun was at a 45 degree angle to the direction of the pitch so the readings were uniformly low.

Having said that the 8 mph difference is real or possibly even a bit less than the real difference.

You got some good advice. Just get someone with a JUGS or a Stalker to gun you, then you’ll know how hard you really throw.

We was pointing the gun at the little target you’re supposed to throw at… I hope it was wrong… I throw pretty hard… I thought for sure I could throw faster than 70…

That will measure the speed of the ball at that point. You need to point the gun at the point where the hand releases the ball.

Since a ball decelerates significantly as it goes from the release point to the glove, you were probably throwing 5 to 10 MPH faster than the gun was registering.

Depends on where the gun was. If the gun was directly in line with the throw then it was fine and it doesn’t matter if the gun was behind you or behind the target. If the gun was off to the side such that it was at an angle with the throw then it would tend to read low. Most guns will pick up the pitch at near release and then display that reading.

If you were off to the side and pointing the gun at the target not only would you get the lower velocity due to the angle but the ball wouldn’t come into the field of view of the gun until it had decellerated somewhat, however since the throws are usually made from pretty close at those pitching speed booths that part of it only makes a couple mph difference.

i just don’t understand, this kid that was on my team that is not known for much of an arm at all threw faster than me a couple of times and i throw way harder than him and i’m not trying to brag or anything…