My change up isn't slow!

I threw the 3 finger just like it shows on here. I threw a fastball and then a change and it was the same!!

put more pressure onur 3rd finger instead of the index and middle

Try pronating the pitch.

I agree with Roger, and learned this advice directly from Tom House. Preset some pronation of your changeup pitch or else it just comes out like a mediocre fastball, which does you no good whatsoever.

Your fastball is fast because you release it palm-forward, toward the target, and your index and middle fingers are directly behind the ball, efficiently providing force to it. If you release a palm ball in exactly the same palm-forward way as your FB, you will be putting three fingers directly behind the ball. Why does anyone think this would slow the ball down? Lots of people will tell you “bury the change-up deep, that will slow it down”–but, guess what? Doing that doesn’t slow the ball down enough to make a good changeup…

If you cannot seem to master the art of releasing your change-up with preset pronation, then try using the split-finger fastball as your “change-up”.

You do not need to take special pains to pronate a splitter–it is thrown palm-forward just like any other fastball. Because the index and middle fingers are “split” to the sides of the ball, they are not in a position to efficiently provide force to the ball at release. So the “splitter” grip automatically takes off speed even when it’s delivered with normal FB mechanics. Splitters also spin more slowly than typical FBs so there is less spin-induced lift on these pitches–so, they sink more for two reasons: Because they travel slower to home plate than FBs, and also because they have slower backspin than typical FBs.

Well first off how old are you and how big are your hands? If you try the circle-change-up its easy to learn it. I think one of the best ways after you look up the grip is to get the grip which is thrown off your middle and ring finger. Start off by throwing the pitch as hard as you can just like your fastball. Try and throw it fast. I know this may sound odd but it is helpful with learning the change-up becuase you need to keep that same arm speed. Fact is it will not be as fast as your fastball because you aren’t throwing it off of your strongest fingers. Well I’m talking a few MPH not enough to get anyone out. But its a start. Then you can work on getting your fingers loose on the ball but alternate it. Go out throw a change-up like I said as hard as you can, then try and keep a loose grip and do it. That way your not going out there and all in one turn taking speed out of your arm, making it obvious that your throwing your change-up. Go out play some catch and just alternate, throw a “fast” change-up. Then try and throw a “loose” change-up. Then once you think you have it down you can go out and throw a good loose change-up with your same armspeed.

The next step as roger said is to pronate. This is for a RHP turning your hand counter-clockwise. You can go about this the same way alternating when you first start so you ease yourself into throwing it right.

Just my helpful hints. I guess you can throw a change-up with a tight grip but I’ve heard a lot about a loose grip. You could probably use another source. But try my methods of learning it.

Pronation should occur after every pitch. Your hands arent big enough to throw a fastball out on your fingers im sure so just try to choke your changeup more the more skin on the pitch the slower it will go.

The pronation being suggested here is before ball release. That is different than the natural pronation that occurs after ball release.

Ed Lopat—what an incredible pitching coach he was!—once told me that just about any pitch I threw could be turned into a nice changeup. And he let me in on a little secret: DON’T TRY TO SQUEEZE THE JUICE OUT OF THE BALL! What happens when a pitcher tries to do that is the ball just squirts out of the hand and drops to the ground in front of you with a resounding PLOP (and a balk gets called on you when there’s a runner on base). The thing to do is grip the ball firmly—or even loosen up on it. I used to throw a palm ball, and what I did was leave a little space between my hand and the ball. I used a pretty conventional grip—all four fingers on top of the ball, thumb underneath, and I threw the pitch the way one would a fast ball, and it worked nicely.
I don’t know the size of your hand, but if you want to throw a circle change and your paw isn’t quite large enough, you can use a half-circle—a backwards “c” with the thumb and forefinger. Lopat showed me how to do that, with the other three fingers on top, and we had a good laugh while we were working on it, because he said to me at one point, “I know you’re going to crossfire it—you use that move with everything you throw.” (I was a sidearmer who used that move extensively.) You can, of course, put a little more pressure on the ball with one finger or another—any way you do it, you’ll get a nice changeup.
And, of course, it’ll make your fast ball look as if it were coming in there at 100 miles an hour. :slight_smile: 8)