My career might be done

Hey guys.

Well, today I got cut from the team, which I believe was a pretty unfair decision. I was left off for a guy that didnt work hard or show any dedication to the program while I worked harder than anyone to try and make the varsity team. I went to baseball conditioning EVERYDAY for the past TWO years, and he didnt. While I woke up early for fund raisers, he slept in and did his own thing. One more thing, he was on varsity last year and he quit on them mid-season. In the end, he is still on the team.

Talent wise, I feel that I matched him except for hitting. But with pitching, I feel we were the same, and I feel I made up for the hitting with my dedication, hard work, and desire. I just don’t understand why this is happening.

I did talk to the school athletic director today, and he said he would look into it and talk to the coach. But idk if thats gonna do anything. Right now, my young baseball career looks over.

Don’t give up. Keep truckin’. :rap:

That’s all I can say.

Don’t throw in the towel just yet.

Anyway, your story sounds like the reason that the kid made the team was because of politics which sucks.

Best of luck.

hey man don’t give up… i know it sounds cliche but Michael Jordan didn’t make his JV basketball team. Tom Brady was the back-up his junior year of high school on an 0-8 team. I know there are certain physical limitations that we are all subject to and we may never be MJ or Tom Brady, but don’t lose sight of the fact that they worked their a**es off to become the best at what they do. even if baseball doesn’t work out down the line, that mentality will serve you well throughout the rest of your life. one of my favorite quotes is “the harder you work, the harder it is to give up.”

I’m not going to attempt to comfort your anxiety, nor am I going to pass on story after story of those in your situation that have made it. You don’t want to hear that.

However, if you will – read on about the bigger picture, in the game of life.

High schools and similar sports programs can cultivate a number of agendas that serve only the few … and the well connected. I’m not broad brushing every program mind you – but it does make one wonder , from time to time.

Your skills in personal discipline are light years ahead of tons of kids – you just haven’t seen enough of life to make comparisons. And as hollow as these words may sound, the hollowness fills in quickly as the years go by – believe me. And time does fly.

You’re going to try at a lot of things as you progress – growing up, and you’ll succeed at some and lesser at others. But you will succeed more and more. With the disciple that you just described - your future success is a given … at the important things.

I can’t begin to tell you how many flash-in-the pans and guys that operate on the dodge that have gotten under my radar. But they don’t get under for long. Sometimes I’ll go back to the guys that got cut and feel really foolish stumbling around for words. Other times, it’s just not possible.

In any event, at the outset it sounded to me that you really believed more in yourself … then you did in some high school baseball program… Think about that for a moment. What… you need the approval of a coach and a bunch of kids to acknowledge your great work. Not from where I sit.!

You keep that “slugging away” attitude. It does you proud.

Coach Baker

you got cut from one team. YOUR CAREER IS NOT OVER THERE WILL BE OTHER CHANCES :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :puking: :puke1: DID I GET THROUGH TO YOU

Everyone hears the MJ and Brady stories a lot. Think of this, those are two of the greatest athletes of their time. They are great in every way. Think of how many pro athletes that are just aveage in the pro’s which is still an incredible accomplishment, were the same as the MJ’s and Bradys. Your comparing it to some of the greatest. Think of how many college and pro atheltes were in the same situation you were. A lot.

There is no JV?

There is no JV?

no, your career is far from over. I’m gonna be 30 next week, and I’ve played in way more (amateur) games and have had way more fun with the game since high school. your situation is b.s., I’ll grant you that. The same thing happened to me with basketball. I was cut for three kids who absolutely sucked but their parents were big donars to the school. The only thing I regret is that I didn’t tell the coaches know how crappy their decision was. I didn’t want to be a cry baby or whatever, but I should have. So make sure you go ahead and speak up about it. It’s not sour grapes, it’s just calling out the powers that be.

Red…does this have anything to do with your injury? I’m not saying how you presented your side isn’t wrong, we don’t know the coaches side. I think talking to the AD before you confronted the coach and asked him to his face the whys and what you need to get there, wasn’t as wise (Think about it like running to the boss or mommy). You absolutely have a right to sit down with that coach and (While taking notes) ask him why you were cut and if there is anything you can do to make the squad next year…if there is…you make sure he sees that effort, if not you have a different road than most folks, but with Travel teams and Legion Ball you just may find a way to get a shot on a college team (Everyone needs pitching at that level). I’ve always said that baseball is desire…that desire will get you where you want to go, whether thats like Andrew and getting to play for the love of it, or a more serious future.

Good point andrew. Baseball isn’t limited to high school, college, pros

BEST QUOTE EVER …was by michael jordan when he said…I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed…just cuz you got cut once doesnt mean ANYTHING for your future…actually now that i think of it …jordan got cut toooooo…n look where he ended up…only the best basketball player perhaps athlete of all time

That’s horrible. I know exactly how you feel… I’ve been on the dagger end of the politics spear literally from t-ball to my current high school career. Don’t let it hurt you. Keep working. Prove yourself WHEN the opportunity arises. You just have to trust that all that hard work will prove itself. I understand you’ve outworked the guy for seemingly a long time, but continue that trend and it WILL pay off. Take a quote from my long time hero, General George S. Patton- I don’t judge a man by how high he climbs up the mountain, but how high he bounces when he falls off.

It’s not the end of the world. Here is my stroy that I’m going to share with you. I played high school baseball for only 1 season. My freshman year I had an amazing season. At the end of that season my arm blew up on me. Not a rotator cuff tear but my arm took a dump. I didnt play high school ball after that only summer ball, and I didnt play much. Because of my arm and also politics. Then when I graduated high school I had no intentions of playing baseball again. I worked for a year and then the opportunity came to play college ball for me at Juco school in Iowa. My buddy was already on the team and talked me up. So my Martial Arts instructor trained me. He is a certified trainer and Physical Therapist. So we got my arm strong and I threw bullpens in a dusty upstairs room at a Indoor hockey rink, that I had to beg to access too. I woke up at 5 in the morning sometimes to throw because thats the only time I had. I played 2 years down there topped out my Velocity at 82. I left there and got no offers to play anywhere else. So you know what I’m doing now still trying to bust my a**. I plan on playing summer ball and then trying out at the University that I’m currently attending. I’m throwing 85-86 right now maybe ill jump some more in velocity over the summer.

The whole point of my story is to not give up. I had hard times in my career and I went to play some college ball and still plan on playing. Your career isnt over and so dont go throwing in the towel.

hey guys, sorry about my absence. Thank you all for your support, it has helped alot. I probably should have mentioned that I’m a senior in high school, so I don’t have another chance to play high school ball.

JD brought up a good point, and that was maybe my shoulder injury had something to do with their decision. My shoulder was limiting me in tryouts, and I felt it run all down my arm when I threw a bullpen. So I’ve come up with a plan that im gonna put in the back of my head for now. Im gonna get my shoulder healthy, get into the best shape I can possibly get into, and then make a run at college ball. I’m going to a community college, and they have a team, so I might have a chance as a walk on. But as for right now, I’m gonna get my shoulder as healthy as possible. I feel like if I quit now, I’ll regret it later in life. I didn’t have a fair fight due to my shoulder, and this is all motivation for me.

Well Redsox I’m really happy to see you going at this in the most mature way. Shows charactor! Desire means it isn’t ever over. You are 100% right, get right then LOOK OUT!!!
I’m cheerin for you man…so is obviously the kind folks supporting you on this thread. Make some positive thing happen. :smiley:
All The Best!!
jd