My Baseball Journal

Thought you posted a new clip? Did I miss it?

I’m going to be posting a clip later today, but I posted on several days ago.

I was looking at Lankylefty’s recent videos in his blog and I messed around with the drills he posted and tried to mimic his arm action. I focused a lot on my scap load.

I got some good results when I was doing dry reps today. Couldn’t get out to throw because of the holiday, but never-the-less I’m excited about the adjustments I made.

The videos should be up later tonight(possibly really late tonight).

I will be throwing tomorrow, so hopefully what I did dry with my dry reps translates to my actual throws.

I’ll put a video up tomorrow as well when I do some actual throwing.

Off-season is just about over. When I get back to school this weekend, we will have 5 weeks of ‘pre-season’ before we start up playing games. I believe it’s that time frame anyways. The pitching coach said we will be throwing 2-3x a week, so I will be sure to get plenty additional work outside of practice.

My goal during these 5 weeks will be to continue to improve my mechanics, but more importantly to get ready for the season. Hopefully, my improved mechanics will be visible to the coaches and I hope to move up on the depth chart.

My big or I guess main goal for the preseason is to improve to the point to where I can make it on the roster for the Florida trip, which kicks off the season. The team takes the top 30 player,s I think, and they play both varsity and jv games, so if I can get on the roster, I would love to go down there and get some playing time.

I don’t know how often I will be able to post. I imagine I will be quite busy this semester with baseball and an 18 credit schedule, which may be changed to 15 credit. I need to talk to some teachers about ‘hours’ I have to complete, but the goal is to do 18 credits.

When I post, I will most likely just post videos of me throwing, which will most likely be me throwing outside of team stuff.

Hopefully this season goes well, I feel like I have made a lot of improvements, but I still have a lot of things I want to improve on.

Hopefully the radar gun correlates with my mechanical improvements!

Good luck jimster

Working on my arm action today when I was throwing and when I was at home gave me some new things to try. I want make my arm action longer, which when I did made it do what I want.

I posted the throwing progression I’m going to try in the workouts part of this forum.

From working on my arm action I’m going to focus on a few things when I throw tomorrow. Hopefully the progessive well as I increase the intent.

-get my arm up before my foot hits. When I do this, the inverted w is not present and my arm action is much more fluid.

-move slower longer in my motion with my hands-control my hand break. I want to keep myself from rushing my hands. That’s probably the biggest thing I notice as I increase my intent.

My hands/arms move much faster earlier and tense up too early. I believe that creates other timing issues later in my motion when I do that. I believe by controlling my arm more/longer it will help to make my arm more fluid.

I believe that doing focusing on these two things will help me with my timing and fluidity of my arm action and motion in general.

I will post a video of the results tomorrow after I throw. Look for it in the evening. At the latest by 8pm, but I’ll probably have it up before then.

Buenos noches!

Posted a new video, check it out when you get the chance and let me know what you think!

I’ll take a look and let you know man.

Do you know when you’ll find out about making the roster for FL?

Did or do you have to raise some money for the trip?

Just asking cause if your whole roster is raising money for the trip (some 70+ player’s) and only 30ish are going, that just doesn’t seem right to me.

What do the other 40ish guys do while the team is in FL?

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]I’ll take a look and let you know man.

Just asking cause if your whole roster is raising money for the trip (some 70+ player’s) and only 30ish are going, that just doesn’t seem right to me.

What do the other 40ish guys do while the team is in FL?[/quote]

We all worked at football games or different events to raise money.

I don’t know when we’ll find out who makes the roster for FL.

You’re right, it isn’t really fair, but that’s how they run it.

I think the other guys that don’t go just practice. I don’t know if there are games for them to play or what. I assume they’ll at least have some practices.

[quote=“Wales Diesel”]I’ll take a look and let you know man.

What do the other 40ish guys do while the team is in FL?[/quote]

We all worked at football games or different events to raise money.

I don’t know when we’ll find out who makes the roster for FL.

You’re right, it isn’t really fair, but that’s how they run it.

I think the other guys that don’t go just practice. I don’t know if there are games for them to play or what. I assume they’ll at least have some practices.

Working the football games and stuff like that is standard, I meant more like say each player has to raise $300 each regardless if they go.

We have had a clothes drive, but there has been no mention of a fee everyone has to pay. The only fee they mentioned was a 40 dollar fee that people who went had to pay.

We get a ton of money from our games because the team is extremely good every year. So that might account for the amount you had to pay and me.

We had to get team clothes(like or alternate hat and jersey, as well as other stuff)

That and the clothes drive together cost about 310 dollars. But we we could have spent much less, I got team stuff that required as well as stuff that wasn’t required.

Sounds good jimster, hopefully you make it

I decided to go light with my throwing today, not in effort, but in number of throws.

I focused on my separation at position at footplant. I did better than my last session, but I can continue to improve that part of my mechanics.

I found some teammates to start doing long toss with. Since our ‘team throwing’ isn’t the strenuous. I’ll be able to get some long toss in as much as I can before the season starts.

I’m going to go easy on the pull downs, but throw some full go when I get close in. I haven’t long tossed since the end of fall, so I’m following the Jaeger protocol of a non aggressive pull down during your first week back.

I will try to get some video up here of my final pull downs.

Sounds good jimster, nice to see you’ve found some guys who want to get the extra work in.

It was nice while it lasted. Now it’s sub zero weather out right now haha

I hit 82 today. I was sitting 80-81 I think. The coach didn’t clock a lot of my pitches or tell us where we were himself, but I was told from a teammate that I was in that range.

I felt like my control was much improved from before.

I feel like my mechanics are improving. I still have a long way to go, but going from 76-80 in the fall to 80-82 now, is pretty good considering. 4-6 mph jump is never a bad thing

I want to be at 82-84 and top out at 85 this year. I think I can once I feel comfortable with my mechanics to go full go with my legs, I will be closer to achieving that goal. I believe that my arm action is doing what it’s supposed to do now. Any time it’s not where it’s needing to be, it’s a torso or leg issue. So I believe that my arm action itself is where I want it to be.

My goals now relate more to my lower body and torso action, specifically my separation. That’s something that I noticed I lacked almost any of in my recent videos of me throwing. I’m at max ER at footplant, which is not what I want. I want to be at max ER later, after footplant.

All and all, I’m making progress. My velocity jumped up and my control improved a lot. Hopefully, the video the coach took shows good ER and some areas that I need to improve.

Good stuff man keep it up.

If you weren’t going all out in that session I’m sure you have an extra tick or two in there still.

I felt like I could have gone harder with my legs. I was more concerned with my mechanics when I was throwing today. My mechanics and staying smooth and continuous.

Hopefully I got 2-3 more in the tank right now without mechanical improvements